PDA

View Full Version : 5 Square Edge Turnings Scrap

Thomas Canfield
02-08-2009, 9:18 PM

This 8" piece of Yellow Pine 2x12 was scrap but had some pretty grain. I ripped off the quarter sawn outer sections to form 4 square blanks, and used the center pith section as a rectangle to get some practice. The results exceeded my expectations, and turning the square sections was not as scary as I expected. I just need to finish and turn the 4th square.

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2009, 9:22 PM
Great looking pieces Thomas. Make sure you post them when they are finished. Only thing I can say is it is not scary if you don't let your arms, fingers, or clothing get on the other side of the tool rest.

Steve Schlumpf
02-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Thomas - you are right - that is some really good looking grain! Bernie's right - just pay attention, keep everything on your side of the tool rest and you'll do just fine! Looking forward to seeing these finished!

Dewey Torres
02-09-2009, 1:03 AM
Nice looking bowls...forget that they are scrap...as Tony the Tiger would say...

theeeeerrrree great!

Richard Madison
02-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Nice work Thomas. Not "scrap" anymore. SYP scraps are often available at home building sites at no cost and is great "practice" wood, and sometimes good for "real" wood. Does not look like Thomas needs to practice. Picture of some pine practice attached.