PDA

View Full Version : Painting Ply

Joe Mcclaran
02-08-2009, 8:01 PM
Hope some one can help me!!! My first project is a book case, my wife wants me to paint it. I used birch ply. My question is can I use any paint, or do I need a special kind of paint. Would you suggest using a primer first? Thank You. :)

Steve Schoene
02-08-2009, 8:15 PM
Preparation is key for a good paint job. If anything, the work piece must be more carefully prepared for paint than for clear finishes. Remember that hardwood ply is already sanded. You will get better results if you use veneer edge banding for visible plywood surfaces, even if painting.

Yes, use a primer. The BIN shellac based primers are good, and quick drying. Apply a coat, carefully sand smooth, being sure to use sanding blocks. Correct any dings or flaws that you see with wood putty. Then prime again, and sand smooth. Use about 180 grit paper.

Then you can apply paint. I prefer oil based enamel, such as Sherwin Williams Pro Classic, but top of the line 100% acyrlic waterborne enamels will work ok but be more challenging to apply without brush strokes. It may take a couple of coats. Sand between coats with 320 grit.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-08-2009, 8:37 PM
Yes to the primer and you will want to sand the ply with 220 before the primer goes on since the sanded faces aren't finish sanded even on cabinet grade plys. I've never sanded much after primer, but with Birch you might want to if the grain raises on the veneer.

Jim Becker
02-08-2009, 9:21 PM
The Sherwin Williams ProClassic that Steve mentions is also available in a 100% acrylic water borne version that lays down nicely and does not have the evil "blocking" (sticking) problem that many water based paints have. Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo 100% Acrylic is similar...and can be had in dark colors if you have that need. The SW product has no deep tint base, at least the last time I tried to buy it in a dark color.

Regardless of the paint you choose, an appropriate primer is necessary to seal the wood and provide a good surface for proper paint adhesion.

Matt Meiser
02-09-2009, 7:40 AM
I used the water borne ProClassic on a bookshelf I built my mom several months ago. She loaded it up with books, and I occasionally pull one off to test--no blocking. I wouldn't consider using anything else at this point for shelving. She later went and bought some to repaint another shelf and she liked it as well.

For primer, I used whatever the salesperson at Sherwin Williams recommended. The combination of the two, in quarts, was not inexpensive, but well worth the results.

Prashun Patel
02-09-2009, 8:12 AM
I've had good luck with InslX Cabinet Coat too (you can get it at Ace).

The other option is to use a 'regular' latex and then top coat it with a waterborne poly or acrylic topcoat. Be warned, though, a few of them will can yellow over time.

For ply, I'd use Zinsser BIN primer; it'll seal the sfc very well. Sand between coats (150 to 220).

A semigloss/gloss latex top paint coat is hard to sand, so I'd lay it down with a foam roller in successively thin coats. The foam doesn't load up like yr typical higher nap rollers, so don't be tempted to overload the roller to make it go faster; you'll get smears and lap marks. Roll it thin and patiently.