PDA

View Full Version : Need shaper cutter suggestions

Wes Billups
02-08-2009, 7:32 PM
I'm looking to get 4-5 different shaper cutter profiles and was wanting to get some suggestions. Please keep in mind that these will only be used in a hobby shop so I don't need nor want top of the line cutters.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on Eagle, Elite (sold on Ebay), Infinity, and others similar brands. I currently have Eagle and Grizzly and can't complain with either but wanted to get feedback from people here.

I'd consider buying used but this is difficult when you're looking for specific profiles.

I'd also like to mention that I'd prefer 1-1/4" bore as I like the increased radius and stability.

Thanks,
Wes

David DeCristoforo
02-08-2009, 8:19 PM
If you have no cutters, a limited budget and want to get the most for your money, you might want to consider a cutter set like this:
http://www.right-tool.com/freudwoodbox.html
which will give you a nice range of basic capability. Then, over time, you can add to that with specific fixed profile cutters as needed.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-08-2009, 8:19 PM
Have you thought about insert heads, Wes? Might be an econimical way to go, just buy a set. Freud makes a decent looking one, for not a big pile of bucks. I like 1 1/4" too, and I've bought quite a few really good used industrial quality cutters off ebay. If you know what you want, it can be pennies on the dollar. Make sure you deal with a reputable source there though. Oella Saw and Tool is a good one, and all their used stuff is balanced and very well described. Most of the dealers that list on ebay have a brick and mortor location as well.

Peter Quinn
02-08-2009, 8:43 PM
Check out either the CMT or Amana 40MM insert heads, they run around $135 for an aluminum head with a basic set of inserts, several different sets available and around 120 HSS knives available that fit either for between $15-$35 a set depending on the profile. Cheyenne sales stocks the CMT, many other sell amana. I have the amana and it works great. I get my cutters from CTSAW.com.

Another option if moldings and profiles are what you need is a corrugated back head and corrugated back insert knives. They are a slight bit trickier to set the knives, but not by much, and they give you deeper profile options than the 40MM knives. I think the 40MM knives are limited to 5/8" depth of cut, the 5/16" thick corrugated knives give you something like 7/8"? Custommoldingknives.com has a good selection of basic cutters in corrugated back stock, many grinding shops can make them to match a profile, and the heads from Wisconsin Knife Works or Schmidt are around $200 in 1 1/4" bore, Grizzly sells aluminum heads cheaper, I have no experience with those.

I have several cutters and cope/mold door sets from Infinity, they come razor sharp, well balanced and perform well. I think they offer very little in 1 1/4" bore beyond insert heads, and I have only used their 3 wing cutters. Spin them at 10,000 RPM's and they seem to perform better. Remember to slow it down when you go back to bigger cutters!

A very cost effective option for panel raising is the Freud RP2000 insert head. Its more expensive than any single panel cutter I have purchased from even Freeborn, but it offers 10 different panel options, sets up with carbide inserts very easily and works beautifully. So if you wanted even two different panel cutters the Freud would start to make sense. I like mine. I passed on a nearly new set like David C mentioned above a while back and could kick myself now.

James Boster
02-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I will agree with a couple of the above paosters. I have used Grizzly and Eagle cutters and they work fine. I bought two sets of the CMT insert cutterheads with knives. They are two wing cutter and the cutters are steel instead of carbide but I really like them. For raised panels I have used Freud cutters and bought one of the RP2000 insert heads a few years back and there is no comparison. The inserts are much nicer, cut cleaner, and easier to sharpen when needed.

Wes Billups
02-09-2009, 4:20 PM
Thanks for the input.

For those recommending the insert cutters, is there a difference in cut quality between Freud's RP2000 and their 2+2 cutters? I'm not looking for numerous raised panel profiles so I'd go the RP1000 route with no more than two profiles.

Steve, I'd like some more info on the ebay seller you mention. I can't seem to find their name when I search. Plus it's neat to see another Nebraskan on here. I lived the first 29 years of my life in southeast Nebraska.

Thanks,
Wes

James Boster
02-09-2009, 4:28 PM
I was using Freuds carbide panel raisers but they wern't the 2+2 variation, and I saw a large difference in cut quality with the inserts. The inserts are much better in my opinion.

Charlie Plesums
02-09-2009, 5:21 PM
Although I have upgraded to very high end cutters, I really liked the quality and very attractive price of the Woodline cutters. Their catalog and web site shows 3/4 inch cutters, but most are available as 1 1/4 inch for only slightly more, but you have to call.

Peter Quinn
02-09-2009, 9:44 PM
I have used the Freud 2+2 panel raisers on the router but not on the shaper. The router versions work well, certainly a good design, two profile cutters and two hoggers to remove most of the material. The carbide inserts on the RP set seem sharper than any carbide on traditional cutters I have used. Very effective cutter head.