PDA

View Full Version : Shadow boxes

jack duren
02-08-2009, 6:28 PM
A poker buddy ask me to make him some shadow boxes to hang some autographed jerseys. I also have some posters I will make glass frames for.

I have a few ideals on how I will make these but thought I'd ask to see if I could find better options. Any photos on how you mounted the glass,etc...Thx Jack

Kevin Stobb
02-08-2009, 9:42 PM
Here are a few of the hundred or so I have made. These are made off of a design that my customer made. Obviously they are very simple, but that is what they wanted. Very easy to make. I use FF biscuits in the miters to hold it together. The edging is made using a craftsman ogee stile and rail bit. The glass is held with silicone to the back of that edging. The backing she uses is a foam type board that fits into the 1/4 x 3/8" rabbet I cut in the back. She uses elastic type bands pierced through the foam board to hold said object in place.

These can be made in any size, or shape. A nice touch is to use Museum glass(u.v. protection, and non-glare). Sometimes there is lighting issues, but it works well to protect whats inside. These are very simple to make, and the sky is the limit to how fancy you want to make them. I also make a few with hinged fronts and latches so you can open them up to take things out, or add items.