PDA

View Full Version : So, what strange things are you asked to make?

Jim Taylor
07-05-2004, 11:05 AM
These are a set of beach paddle ball paddle's, made of hard Maple, receiving a second coat of Waterlox. I was asked tp make them this weekend, my only condition... they cannot be painted. :D

Tyler Howell
07-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Very nice Jim,

Love your songs.:D I'm liking the paddles but let's also see what came from Festool too.;)

Jack Wood
07-05-2004, 11:29 AM
I was asked to make some flag pole stands(8) that would be light, steady and capable of holding a 10' pole, and they have to break down to ship to Hawaii:eek:. I am trying to convince them to just buy commercial stands once they get to Hawaii, considering shipping cost that's got to be cheaper!:cool:

Michael Ballent
07-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Perhaps you should just charge such an enormous amount that they would get scared off ;)

Jack Wood
07-05-2004, 8:27 PM
Well you know how it is, people know you have a woodworking shop and just assume if I make it it's got to be cheaper:p I try to explain that if I wanted cheaper I would just sell off my tools and buy things, as it usually winds up costing more after all is said and done:D But that's not the point in woodworking is it?:)

Bill Grumbine
07-05-2004, 9:46 PM
Hi Jim

I see you are not getting a lot of answers to your question yet. The most unusual thing I have ever made (that I can remember) is a replica of an ancient Hebrew plow, circa 1000 BC. It was a gift for a rabbi who had a garden done up according to the way things were done around the time of King David. I was given drawings of several plows, any of which would be acceptable, and allowed to pick what I wanted to do from the group. I was given the commission because when I was interviewed, and I asked why no one local to the man could be found, I was told that everyone who was asked wanted to do something highly refined and polished. My response was that I figured they wanted something rough that would most likely have been hand made on the farm. I do not have any pictures, but I made it from a waney edged board, a couple of sticks joined together with wedged mortises, and an iron plowshare. It looked like a sword nailed to a board with a T handle waist high. When I saw the drawing of the plowshare, I gained an immediate understanding of the scripture that talks about beating plowshares into swords and vice versa. It couldn't be painted either. :D

Nice paddles.

Bill

Earl Reid
07-05-2004, 10:52 PM
I have made a few things that were different.
About 15 years ago the CEO of a rather large co was locked in the elevator for quite a period of time while they were trying to find the emergency key
I made key boxes for each floor out of walnut. I also made a finger for a statue of the goddess "Diana". Some of the "supine standers" I made were very unusual. These standers were used by therapists to treat children.
Earl

Bart Leetch
07-05-2004, 11:31 PM
Building a Truck to tow a 5th wheel trailer.

Randy Ferguson
07-05-2004, 11:33 PM
My Grandma asked me to make a walnut box for her ashes. I did and the box awaits it's fateful day.

David Klink
07-05-2004, 11:55 PM
This wasn't strange, but the size of it was a departure. I make lighthouses and sell them through the paper. One guy called, but he wanted one 6 ft. tall. Just a wee bigger than I'm used to. Shoot, taller than I am. I had to finish it using a step stool.

Plus, he drove over 25 miles to pick it up. I guess if you need something and you can't find it anyplace, it's at least uncommon, if not strange. Sucker was heavy as well.

http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/LH.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/LitLH.jpg