PDA

View Full Version : How cheap are LCDs now! Wow

Craig D Peltier
02-08-2009, 3:38 PM
I was going to post a question on here about a LCD stand but I came up with an idea. Anyhow a client has a 65" LCD Sharp Aquos 1080p . I looked it up online ( amazon) to see how much it weighed and cost. ONLY $2999!

I thought it would be 4-6k.
Im suprised still. tahts a big tv. gets 4.5 out of 5 stars on there.

Mitchell Andrus
02-08-2009, 4:19 PM
I've got the 52" Aquos, Great set. I'll tell ya, unless you've got a long way to the screen, 65" is too big. Yes, hard to believe....

If you're too close, non-HD stuff (CNN, broadcast news and shows, etc) looks blurry and there's nothing you can do.

Before you buy, tune the set to a regular b'cast and watch at a realistic distance for 1/2 hour, and you're right, $3K is a great price. Wait a year....

David DeCristoforo
02-08-2009, 5:17 PM
Just last week an old client called me to ask if I could mod the tansu style TV/media unit I built for them in '98 so that it would accept a 42" LCD. Back in '98 the cheapest flat screens (plasmas) were running around six grand. They got theirs for under eight hundred (1080p HD LCD)! Costing them more to mod the piece the to buy the TV. And the prices don't seem to have hit bottom yet!

Neal Clayton
02-09-2009, 1:04 AM
I've got the 52" Aquos, Great set. I'll tell ya, unless you've got a long way to the screen, 65" is too big. Yes, hard to believe....

If you're too close, non-HD stuff (CNN, broadcast news and shows, etc) looks blurry and there's nothing you can do.

Before you buy, tune the set to a regular b'cast and watch at a realistic distance for 1/2 hour, and you're right, $3K is a great price. Wait a year....

quoted for emphasis.

my stepbrother bought a 50 about two years ago and got a 65 delivered from the electronics borg by mistake. thought he won the lottery. only problem is he's about 8 feet from it and gets seasick watching TV.

to need more than 50" you need to be more than ~12 feet away or it'll be too big.

Dewey Torres
02-09-2009, 1:10 AM
Im suprised still. tahts a big tv. gets 4.5 out of 5 stars on there.

and...they are bound to get even cheaper.

Chris Padilla
02-09-2009, 1:15 AM
We paid $1100 for both our 42" Panasonic 1080p plasmas about 6-9 months ago.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2009, 1:27 AM
I won't tell you what the LOML paid for a Sony 46" Bravia 2 weeks ago. But hey....14 months ago I got MM-16, a PM3520B and an Oneida DC. I came out on the that deal by a long shot!

Dewey Torres
02-09-2009, 1:39 AM
I won't tell you what the LOML paid for a Sony 46" Bravia 2 weeks ago. But hey....14 months ago I got MM-16, a PM3520B and an Oneida DC. I came out on the that deal by a long shot!

Way to go Ken...

Sometimes you just have to put things in the right perspective. When everything you see is round it make thing a lot easier!:)

Jim Becker
02-09-2009, 10:36 AM
I know for sure that the prices have fallen...my father called last night. He bought a 47" Sony this weekend. I'd like to think that it was because he enjoyed watching our 52" when he visited in August, but I suspect that the price fall had a major impact on him stepping over the yellow line into the "danger zone"... LOL

Craig, that price on the 65" is just a couple hundred more than I paid for the 52" 82 series Aquos last March (on sale) also from Amazon. The 65" at that time was nearly $5K if my memory is correct. Wow!

Tom Godley
02-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Now if it only there was something to watch :)

Brent Leonard
02-09-2009, 11:19 AM
I love my 1080p, 65" TV.

The sheer size of the 65"er is a little shocking at first.......
but you get used to it real quick!

Distance from the TV is probably around 10'-12' (guessing)

Craig D Peltier
02-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Id say im 8-9 feet from a 60" DLP tv. I never had an issue being that close.Seems fine to me.
I took measurements of the 65. It was 60 wide 37 tall and 2.75 thick.No bad. 110lbs I think. 125 with base.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-09-2009, 11:35 AM
I understand that quality has also diminished somewhat for both plasmas and LCDs. It's even visually apparent in the fit and finish of the TV's case. I don't know what this means as far as reliability though.

-Jeff :)

Russ Filtz
02-10-2009, 9:00 AM
Picked up a 52" Sony XBR6 after New Years WITH the Sony BR player deal for $2200 OTD. This was at Circuit City before their demise. Must have been the deal that put them under! :cool:

Neal Clayton
02-10-2009, 11:05 AM
I understand that quality has also diminished somewhat for both plasmas and LCDs. It's even visually apparent in the fit and finish of the TV's case. I don't know what this means as far as reliability though.

i doubt they've found a way to make them disposable.

i know based on the estimated time to half brightness based on the plasma specs from panasonic and pioneer, you could leave them on for 18 hours a day for 10 years or so before wanting a new one.

Chris Padilla
02-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Now if it only there was something to watch :)

Blu-Ray! slobber slobber drool drool....mmmmm

Just picked up and watch "Band of Brothers" in blu-ray--> WOW!

Harry Hagan
02-10-2009, 2:18 PM

Jeff,

Your comment regarding "diminished quality" reminded me of a local news story by a reporter that helps consumers deal with businesses that have not resolved problems to their customer's satisfaction. To date she has helped consumers receive over 3 million dollars in reimbursement for shoddy workmanship, bogus charges, failure to honor warranties, etc.

This particular story was about a major electronics/appliance chain store not replacing a brand new wide-screen TV that was defective out of the box. With a little prompting from the TV reporter, the chain store finally agreed to honor the warranty and have the set repaired instead of replacing it as I would have insisted. The TV segment went on to state that replacing the TV screen cost twice as much as a new unit!

She then went on to interview the owner of a local reputable TV repair shop I’m familiar with who gave the following advice: “I would never purchase a big screen these days without an extended warranty. Repair bills can easily exceed the initial purchase price of the unit if the screen is defective.”

Something to think about.

Russ Filtz
02-12-2009, 8:46 AM
Just wait a few years and we will all be upgrading to the new 2K TV standard! DOUBLE the definition of current 1080P sets!

http://www.itechnews.net/2009/01/08/toshiba-cell-based-4k-x-2k-tv/

Russ Filtz
02-12-2009, 8:49 AM
Blu-Ray! slobber slobber drool drool....mmmmm

Just picked up and watch "Band of Brothers" in blu-ray--> WOW!

Keep watch on Amazon. I picked up my BOB bluray set for $35 on sale! Can't beat it. I'm waiting for the new Pacific version of BOB to come out!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374463/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pacific_(miniseries)

Eric DeSilva
02-12-2009, 8:59 AM
Unless you are a gamer and need a fast refresh and could have problems with burn in, I think the plasmas are still the ticket over 50". Better contrast ratios and color depth. Plasmas in that range are also getting very cheap.

In terms of lifetimes, I sold my 61" Pioneer Elite with my last house... It had been up for about 3 years, and I could detect something wrong it--subtle red blotching. This stuff doesn't last forever.

I also sat about 9' away from it, and it looked fine. Great movie experience... But, that may not be for everyone.

Russ Filtz
02-12-2009, 9:02 AM
One note to add though. If you typically move a lot, an LCD is more forgiving than a plasma.

Scott Shepherd
02-12-2009, 9:32 AM
Just wait a few years and we will all be upgrading to the new 2K TV standard! DOUBLE the definition of current 1080P sets!

http://www.itechnews.net/2009/01/08/toshiba-cell-based-4k-x-2k-tv/

I also heard that HDTV is about 3 generations back now for what they are filming with in Hollywood now. So they are actually have to render the video DOWN to make it work on HDTV's. So if the cameras are 3 generations ahead of what we are being offered by stores, and the prices are falling rapidly, it's probably a move to clear out the old technology and make room for the next generation of TV's, which will still be 2 generations back from what they are filming in, if I understood it correctly.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-12-2009, 10:13 AM
There has always been a reluctance in the US to improve broadcast quality. My opinion began back in the 1970s when my brother's bought a high end Sony component TV and hooked it up to cable TV. I was underwhelmed. I'm not sure why the reluctance in broadcast improvement. The technology at my end was certainly there.

As stated earlier, for TV/movie watching, I continue to believe that a plasma TV still provides the best in picture quality, but you probably need to be pretty fussy when comparing a good quality LCD to a plasma. However, broadcast quality (air, cable or satellite) is still the limiting factor as I see it.

Of 200+ channels I receive, only about 6 are high definition. Also, I noticed that my old CRT type TVs handle the non-HD digital signal better than my super duper plasma. That is, when I transitioned from analog to digital signal, my CRT TVs underwent a very noticable improvement regarding picture quality.

And then there's the issue of remote controllers....

Jim Becker
02-12-2009, 3:56 PM
Plasma just took a major hit today, Jeff...Panasonic, the main provider of Plasma sets announced they are no longer going to make them.

Neal Clayton
02-12-2009, 4:27 PM
panasonic seemed to try and compete on value, which might not be possible long term. i've heard the cost in the glass fabs is ginormous.

pioneer seems to be trying to shoot for the high end buyer with their plasmas, which might be more viable.

Brett Warner
02-13-2009, 1:19 PM
Plasma just took a major hit today, Jeff...Panasonic, the main provider of Plasma sets announced they are no longer going to make them.

Pioneer, not Panasonic, will discontinue making their TV's. Vizio also will be dropping plasma.

Jim Becker
02-13-2009, 9:50 PM
Pioneer, not Panasonic, will discontinue making their TV's. Vizio also will be dropping plasma.

Sorry for the mistake and thanks for the correction, Brett!

Brett Warner
02-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Sorry for the mistake and thanks for the correction, Brett!

No problemo! :)