PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Computers are taking over the Cabinet trade?

Rick Reinsma
02-08-2009, 2:48 PM
My brother has a high end cabinet shop with multiple CNC machines, High end Computerized Sanders , Spray booths. The stuff they produce is not mass production but high end. Top top notch hardware dovetailed joinery, Solid wood construction. The stuff that he or should I say,the CNC programmer make are unbelievable. I feel that todays cabinet maker has major competition not only to get work that pays well but to be able to stay ahead of the technological advances that we see that are out there.

frank shic
02-08-2009, 3:47 PM
yup, but don't forget the higher overhead as well as all the time that it takes to learn how to not only program a CNC router but also how to schedule work so that it stays busy. there are so many advantages including increased precision, less work injuries and having a trustworthy employee that will almost never complain... until something breaks down lol...

Bryan Rocker
02-08-2009, 4:02 PM
True enough but one of the advantages of CNC's is the ability to replicate/duplicate stuff, once programmed it can be called up and reused.....I read some place that a housing company designed a factory to build homes modular style using computer automation. They had the capability of building thousands of house production style. They modules were better constructed and the overall accuracy was there, it just didn't catch on and finally went out of business......I guess people just couldn't/wouldn't accept the better process...I would think in the cabinet buisness this might not be the same issue....

Steve Rozmiarek
02-08-2009, 4:42 PM
Yes, and from my perspective, it's a good thing.

David DeCristoforo
02-08-2009, 4:58 PM
Computers are not "taking over" anything. We have given it over. The question as I see it is "Is it better to have the making of objects done by robots or by humans?" Obviously if your only concern is the availability of objects, then robots are vastly preferable. They are always at work on time, rarely make mistakes and have much more endurance than humans. They can perform complex, precise tasks repeatedly without complaint and never do stupid things like sticking body parts into the paths of cutting tools. While they may never have an idea of their own, they will do exactly as they are instructed without backtalk or argument. They will never ask for more money or better working conditions. They don't care if the shop is too hot or too cold. They don't need breaks or lunches or benefits or vacations or weekends off. Really, when you think about it, instead of complaining about being usurped, we humans should be grateful. We can spend our time at the beach house or flipping properties or building up our portfolios. Of course, if we don't solve our energy dilemma pretty soon, there my not be any way to power these machines. Of course that will never happen so we don't need to worry about anyone actually remembering how to make anything. It's all good.....

Dustin Lane
02-08-2009, 5:19 PM
...and never do stupid things like sticking body parts into the paths of cutting tools...

A few weeks ago the robot we have at work swung one of its arms around into its own power supply. Knocked the power supply off its base, bent the arm, and ruined one of it's suction cups.

I took that to mean he wanted the night off early.

Computers, to me, seem to be the next logical step up from power tools. Hand -> power -> computer. Technology is developed to make things better and easier, and we use it to make our lives and jobs better and easier.
I for one welcome our new computer overlords.

Stephen Edwards
02-08-2009, 5:24 PM
There will always be a market for a real live human being cabinet maker/woodworker. We may each have to "market" ourselves as such! I can see the ads now:

Fine Woodworking: Cabinets and Furniture Built by Live Humanoids! Get yours while supplies last.

David DeCristoforo
02-08-2009, 5:31 PM
"the robot we have at work swung one of its arms around into its own power supply...I took that to mean he wanted the night off early..."

ARRRRRRGHHH!!!!! It's started! The Matrix..... Run... you fools!

Per Swenson
02-08-2009, 5:42 PM
There will always be two camps.
People who create for the love of craft.
Then, the people who just do a job.

Per

Karl Brogger
02-08-2009, 10:23 PM
For doing many one off projects a cnc doesn't save you much. By the time you program the part, cut it out, then take it to the cnc for machining, you could have just done it the ol' fashioned way.

For the things that you can mass produce, cnc is a good way to go. There are obviously many simple parts that can be quickly and easily programmed too. The screen to machine claims never seem to work out quite that easily.

A cabinet shop I used to work at did it pretty well I thought. The cnc machined all of the base partitions and sides. That's about it. You picked the part/program you needed from a catalog of parts, loaded the piece you needed and it went to town. Decks were still cut to length on the panel saw, and dado'd on the tablesaw. All bulk rips and stock part sizes were cut to size on a beam saw. Nothing was sized on the cnc router either. No system is perfect, cnc's do save time when you have the correct setup.

For me, I'd buy a beam saw way before purchasing a cnc router. Cutting 4 sheats at a crack saves a huge amount of time. Machining parts is really one of the simplest things, a few dado's, punch some holes on the line bore. A cnc router really shouldn't be cutting out parts anyhow, ineffeciant and slow.

Chip Lindley
02-09-2009, 12:36 AM
As Karl says above, CNC is great for repeatable, multiple parts over and over and over..... Not so great for just one small job (or jobs) which vary even a small amount. The small custom cabinetry shop will always have its niche'. I don't *DO* White-painted faux raised panel doors. And CNC does not reface existing cabinets and make NEW raised panel doors of the same size as the old birch ply doors. WE Both have our uses!

Chris Padilla
02-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Just wait until the computers become...aware....

Steve knight
02-09-2009, 1:27 AM
For me, I'd buy a beam saw way before purchasing a cnc router. Cutting 4 sheats at a crack saves a huge amount of time. Machining parts is really one of the simplest things, a few dado's, punch some holes on the line bore. A cnc router really shouldn't be cutting out parts anyhow, ineffeciant and slow.
you have not seen one of the faster cnc routers cut. 12" a second is very fast. when you have to dado and drill and slot the cnc can start really saving time. but it all depends on the way the machine is run and the software used and such.

Steve knight
02-09-2009, 1:40 AM
As Karl says above, CNC is great for repeatable, multiple parts over and over and over..... Not so great for just one small job (or jobs) which vary even a small amount. The small custom cabinetry shop will always have its niche'. I don't *DO* White-painted faux raised panel doors. And CNC does not reface existing cabinets and make NEW raised panel doors of the same size as the old birch ply doors. WE Both have our uses!
I do a lot of one offs on my cnc router. things that you would take a very long time doing other ways. though I admit sometimes it is slower too but thats more me then the machine. how long would it take you to cu these out of a sheet of ply? took about 16 minutes of cutting and about 30 minutes to draw it all out. a one off job.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/2d%20work/chair.jpg

Denny Rice
02-09-2009, 1:58 AM
I'm sorry, the last thing I want in my shop is anything computer controlled.. I don't even have a PC anywhere in that shop. My shop is for me, for me to create not a robot.

Steve knight
02-09-2009, 2:05 AM
I'm sorry, the last thing I want in my shop is anything computer controlled.. I don't even have a PC anywhere in that shop. My shop is for me, for me to create not a robot.
I can understand that. but do you think a cnc machine works on it's own? it only does what I tell it to do if I keep my fingers crossed. it's that hardest to use tool I have ever owned. but it is only a tool like any other one that makes me a little money anyway. it lets me do more in the space I have then having a lot of other tools.

Dewey Torres
02-09-2009, 2:05 AM

Denny,
I am sure there were (and still are) some die hard Neaders that say the some thing about electric power tools. A computer controlled too is just another tool really.

Truth be known if those "computer controlled" tools were as affordable to the every day guy or gal as the next tool, we would all have them and not think anything of it.

Bill Keehn
02-09-2009, 2:07 AM
I'm sure people asked the same thing about electric power tools.

Dewey Torres
02-09-2009, 2:09 AM
I'm sure people asked the same thing about electric power tools.

Yes Bill...my point exactly!

Bill Keehn
02-09-2009, 2:13 AM
Dewey beat me to it.

Even if we all had computer controlled tools would it really change much? Be honest, how many of you ever got the hang of programming your VCR to record shows when you weren't at home. Even though I'm very technically inclined it always seemed like a bother. I only ever used my VCR to record shows I was already watching so I wouldn't miss the end.

My cable TV DVR is another story though.. It's magic :)

Rich Engelhardt
02-09-2009, 6:48 AM
Hello,

Do you think Computers are taking over the Cabinet trade?
Not at all.

By strict definition, a computer is a programmable machine.

Programmable devices have been around as long as the craft itself (cabinetry).

All that's changing is the level of sophistication of the devices.

There's little functional difference between a jig - which uses mechanical limiters - and a CNC - which uses electronic limiters.

Having said that - I've often wondered where the line between "skill" and "equipment race" begins and ends.

Larry Edgerton
02-09-2009, 7:09 AM
Part of the reason that I moved away from cabinets is that the automated factorys were doing better and better imitations of good woodworking, so much so that I was tired of trying to explain less and less of a difference. I started doing more and more complicated things in my design just to seperate myself from the Borg, but in the end people are only after the illusion of quality. There is still no comparison between what I produce and what the mass producers sell, but to the eye it is less and less apparent, and for this I give credit to CNC.

I toured a factory that puts out thousands of units a day, and there is no way I can compete with that, and no way I would want to. It is no longer woodwork at some point, and woodwork is what I choose to do.

I would not get into the woodworking business again if I was a young man, I would find something else, glassblowing, blacksmithing, who knows....

Joe Pelonio
02-09-2009, 8:32 AM
I have done work (signs, truck lettering) for a large kitchen remodeling company. They have a huge shop with 4 CNCs, and 3 spray booths. Long, high shelves similar to those at Costco hold completed orders waiting for installation. It's quite a sight. I also do work for a one-man cabinet shop, who does everything the hard way. Both have done very well over the years, at least until recently.

David Keller NC
02-09-2009, 9:18 AM
One thing to recognize is that CNC makes sense for a fairly narrow scope of furniture, at least at the current level of sophistication. To be repeatable and to yield parts that are on-spec, a CNC device requires consistent material, which means "engineered" wood products. That means MDF, Plywood, OSB, etc...

What CNC machines lack at the present time are the intelligence to deal with slightly warped stock, or stock with defects like knots, checks, etc... Generally, a human is a far superior pattern processor and recognizer, so it makes more sense for the solid-wood aspects of cabinetry to be done by a person, albiet with efficient tools such as sliding format table saws and the like.

However, this is changing. There's a good deal of work going on in integrating optical sizing and pattern recognition into "flexible" CNC programming, so that the computer can recognize warps, knots, checks, etc... and deal with them effectively. However, a machine like that is currently cost-prohibitive, so it will be a few years before the cost comes down enough to make it to the average 10-man shop.

My thought is that this is a good thing. Western countries cannot compete with the developing world on processes and products that are highly labor intensive - witness the wholesale movement of musical instrument making (especially violins, violas, and the like) to China. Computerization and smart machines will allow a more balanced competitive atmosphere.

Sean Rainaldi
02-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Computers are not "taking over" anything. We have given it over. The question as I see it is "Is it better to have the making of objects done by robots or by humans?" Obviously if your only concern is the availability of objects, then robots are vastly preferable. They are always at work on time, rarely make mistakes and have much more endurance than humans. They can perform complex, precise tasks repeatedly without complaint and never do stupid things like sticking body parts into the paths of cutting tools. While they may never have an idea of their own, they will do exactly as they are instructed without backtalk or argument. They will never ask for more money or better working conditions. They don't care if the shop is too hot or too cold. They don't need breaks or lunches or benefits or vacations or weekends off. Really, when you think about it, instead of complaining about being usurped, we humans should be grateful. We can spend our time at the beach house or flipping properties or building up our portfolios. Of course, if we don't solve our energy dilemma pretty soon, there my not be any way to power these machines. Of course that will never happen so we don't need to worry about anyone actually remembering how to make anything. It's all good.....

When civilizations come to the point where computers, robots and machines do everything for us and humans don't need to do manual labor of any kind in order to survive and make a living (and that will happen but I doubt in any of our lifetimes), then there will be no need for money – like Star Trek - the Next Generation. No more wall street crashes or housing bubbles, most everyone will have similar or same standards of living. Then woodworking will be a hobby only and humans will give their hand made works as gifts.

Karl Brogger
02-09-2009, 10:19 AM
you have not seen one of the faster cnc routers cut. 12" a second is very fast. when you have to dado and drill and slot the cnc can start really saving time. but it all depends on the way the machine is run and the software used and such.

That's pretty quick. Faster than anything I have seen, but still not as fast as cutting 3-5 sheats at that speed. But then you have the extra handling......

I do a lot of one offs on my cnc router. things that you would take a very long time doing other ways. though I admit sometimes it is slower too but thats more me then the machine. how long would it take you to cu these out of a sheet of ply? took about 16 minutes of cutting and about 30 minutes to draw it all out. a one off job.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/2d%20work/chair.jpg

Those are relatively simple parts, like you said 30 min to draw. That definetly is one of the time saving advantages, but for an odd ball angle corner unit, with mitred box parts, weird depth shelf pin holes, etc..... Its tough just to get the parameters correct in the CAD program, where as if all you need is a few numbers and a little bit of human intuition you can create the parts pretty quick.

I'm not knocking the advantages of CNC routers, trust me. But too many people think they are the answer to everything and it takes a long time if your starting from scratch to use one to potential. I've seen multiple places buy one, then it doesn't get used as much as it should.

Chris Padilla
02-09-2009, 11:00 AM
When civilizations come to the point where computers, robots and machines do everything for us and humans don't need to do manual labor of any kind in order to survive and make a living (and that will happen but I doubt in any of our lifetimes), then there will be no need for money – like Star Trek - the Next Generation. No more wall street crashes or housing bubbles, most everyone will have similar or same standards of living. Then woodworking will be a hobby only and humans will give their hand made works as gifts.

The Terminator comes to mind....

"I'll be back." :D

Chip Lindley
02-09-2009, 11:03 AM
In my above post, I was referring mainly to the primary use of CNC routers up until recently. Nested-based manufacturing was/is a fast way to cookie-cut zillions of ply or MDF parts for prefab cabinetry.

But, I do admit that human curiosity and zeal has brought forth uses for the CNC machines which might be very useful to the average woodworker. As somebody already said, "The machines only DO what we tell them to do!" If a user were very savvy and inventive, the uses could be endless for an x-y-z axis router. 3-dimensional carving comes to mind!

I suppose there are two way to look at CNC. A Huge investment to replace manpower with repeatable, consistent output to better the bottom-line of a business, OR, another new way of creating things better/faster of wood. IF I had the BUCKS I would love to *play* with a CNC and explore its uses! But CNC is an Expensive TOY! Initial Outlay is HUGE, but so is the Tooling, and all the Bells and Whistles that make it the most *FUN*!

I prophesy that today's obsession with router tables/lifts/fences will be replaced with CNC Frenzy in the next 10 years!

Jose Kilpatrick
02-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Sometimes it's easier to reach up and grab a razor saw or a backsaw when it would take an additional step to turn on the bandsaw or table saw.

With all the routers/accessories/jigs on the market, there are still countless people lining up to learn to cut dovetails by hand.

A CNC machine has it's place in mass production facilities, small businesses, and in the shops/garages of hobbyists. In and of itself it's just another tool. They have their advantages, and they are ranged in price and functionality. I once built a DIY movie projector with 15"LCD monitor from plans and a forum on the web. Many forum members also built a simple CNC router from plans on the same site to build the enclosure for the projector to get the smallest available footprint and precision placed cuts/holes. etc

I would compare it to any top of the line production tool. If I had a dedicated mortising machine, I would probably cut 5 times as many mortises and tennons as I do instead of so many lap joints. If I had machine capable of resaw, I would probably make more projects that required a veneer. I just do the best I Can with what I have and look forward to collecting more tools as I continue this quest.

Steve knight
02-09-2009, 3:14 PM
after having my cnc router for 2 years I would say it is no different then using any other tool with your hands. it just changes the way the tool is operated. it will nut no more accurately or work any better then any other power tool will if you don't draw out the parts right set the machine up right secure the material right and so forth. in fact it is far easier to screw things up on the cnc as there are far more factors involved to get something right.
it can be a great toy though (G)
I bought it so I could do more things in my shop then I could with other tools in the same amount of space. I bought it to bring in outside work.
I have been amazed at what I can do with it.

M. A. Espinoza
02-09-2009, 3:32 PM
Part of the reason that I moved away from cabinets is that the automated factorys were doing better and better imitations of good woodworking, so much so that I was tired of trying to explain less and less of a difference. I started doing more and more complicated things in my design just to seperate myself from the Borg, but in the end people are only after the illusion of quality. There is still no comparison between what I produce and what the mass producers sell, but to the eye it is less and less apparent, and for this I give credit to CNC.

I toured a factory that puts out thousands of units a day, and there is no way I can compete with that, and no way I would want to. It is no longer woodwork at some point, and woodwork is what I choose to do.

I would not get into the woodworking business again if I was a young man, I would find something else, glassblowing, blacksmithing, who knows....

QFT.

I saw this in retail furniture. Used to be that imported furniture looked like the junk that it was. In the last few years they've improved their finishing so much and stolen better designs so the average customer can't tell it from a quality piece.

We sold pieces that were all MDF and particle board cheap $, but huge in size. A double dresser could be in excess of 200 lbs, very likely to be damaged or pull apart if the owners ever decide to move it. Had the feeling its next home would likely be the landfill.

The McMansion crowd ate them up. We would deliver them and their houses were like macro versions of the furniture. All trim on the street side, looked like an outbuilding from the back yard.

If the finish is dark and even, and drawers work smoothly=heirloom. That isn't a criticism of the public it just seems to be how it works.

CNC really seems to put the pressure on shops to differentiate themselves in order to survive. Because from just appearances the overseas stuff can now be indistinguishabe from well-built to the average consumer.

I'm not anti-computer at all; I do think its just another tool. The problem is learning curve and entry price point, neither the education nor the equipment is cheap.

I think for the small shop owner CNC opens up so many more possibilities for success. Its learning how to utilize the technology for best effect that doesn't come intuitively for those of us that have learned the old ways of shop work.

Its like learning how to work all over again.

I'm far enough from retirement (but its out there) that I feel like I have to learn CNC ways or I'll be working for less and less money in ten or fifteen years. Frankly I would rather hand cut dovetails but that doesn't help as much on a resume if I can't survive as an independent shop.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-09-2009, 3:46 PM
Don't computers give us a way to compete with China as well? A robot in China probably costs the same as a robot in the US, but a worker in China is far cheaper than the counter part in the USA? At that point, the shipping becomes the issue, which we can win at. Might be missing something here...

David DeCristoforo
02-09-2009, 3:48 PM
This is not a variation on the "hand tools vs power tools" debate. The reason is simple. For an example, let's look at a computer controlled carving machine. Yes it has to be programmed and yes a human does the programming. But after that, a human hand has absolutely no involvement in the production of the carvings. It's not like a human is doing the carving and it's a discussion about the chisel being an air powered tool or a traditional "mallet driven" tool. In addition, cutting edge 3D scanning technology allows a carving to be scanned and the coordinates fed directly to the carving machine so that even the programming is done by the computer. This technology also makes it possible to scan a table leg, for example, that was carved by some long dead unknown carver so that even the necessity of being able to design such a table leg is no longer necessary. We are into something way beyond the "hand tool/power tool" thing here....

M. A. Espinoza
02-09-2009, 4:47 PM
Don't computers give us a way to compete with China as well? A robot in China probably costs the same as a robot in the US, but a worker in China is far cheaper than the counter part in the USA? At that point, the shipping becomes the issue, which we can win at. Might be missing something here...

I guess I didn't get that point across. I was trying to say that technology is taking away one of the advantages but I think we need to use technology to stay ahead by increasing our versatility. So it increases our ability to compete locally by giving capabilities a small shop may not have had previously, i.e. carving or inlay.

This is not a variation on the "hand tools vs power tools" debate. The reason is simple. For an example, let's look at a computer controlled carving machine. Yes it has to be programmed and yes a human does the programming. But after that, a human hand has absolutely no involvement in the production of the carvings. It's not like a human is doing the carving and it's a discussion about the chisel being an air powered tool or a traditional "mallet driven" tool. In addition, cutting edge 3D scanning technology allows a carving to be scanned and the coordinates fed directly to the carving machine so that even the programming is done by the computer. This technology also makes it possible to scan a table leg, for example, that was carved by some long dead unknown carver so that even the necessity of being able to design such a table leg is no longer necessary. We are into something way beyond the "hand tool/power tool" thing here....

On the level you are discussing I understand your point. I can design far better with a pencil and paper than computer. But I wonder if its simply because pencil and paper is how I learned to document my ideas, now if I had learned on computer...

But there is the more esoteric aspect that I think parallels music in the more artistic and creative side of woodworking. Using a computer keyboard to trigger cello sounds is not the same as holding a cello and playing. You will create different things without the physical feedback and experience of learning the instrument.

So I think there is something to be said for the interaction of carving tool and workpiece and the carver vs CNC in what is created.

Would a sculptor make better art if he learned manual methods or if he was never restricted and simply could just make ideas happen with CNC?

My feeling is that the discipline, repetition and time required for learning a craft is vital to the quality of what is eventually created but that just could be because I'm old.

Tony Bilello
02-09-2009, 5:17 PM
And the time to learn to use it.
The possabilities are endless.

Larry Edgerton
02-09-2009, 7:07 PM

This brings up one of the points that concerns me. It is now possible for a no talent individual to steal the intelectual property of any craftsman simply by buying one of his pieces and scanning it, and having it built in some third world country. This theft of the one advantage that the lone craftsmen had, his unique style that was difficult to copy. Why develop a new style only to see it cheapened by stolen copys?

I, with my brother designed and manufacturered an air tool rack, applied for patents, and started to sell it to catalog sale outfits. Then a Chinese company started making copys for less for one of the companys we were dealing with, and there was not enough money in it to bother fighting so we just stopped production.

So why would I bother to design anything that will just be stolen? I have a couple of nice designs that I would like to market, but I just don't have the heart for it. I am a woodworker, not a politician......

Chip Lindley
02-09-2009, 7:09 PM
The notion of computers, and their *taking over* can be likened to the notion of *horseless carriages* making horses obsolete! There was much kicking and screaming by horse collar makers and blacksmiths, BUT everyone wanted a new car when they were finally made affordable to the general public by Henry Ford. They were not just a specialized toy for the priviledged few any more! The automobile became a staple of the American way of life. America survived the *horseless carriage* revolution, and we shall survive this *computer revolution* a century later! The irony in all this comes from the book of Ecclesiastes, "There is nothing new under the sun." We humans only discover it, and put it to our own uses. It was there all along!

I SMIRK at the many who lambast computers in this thread! They could not access SMC without being ONLINE!

Peter Quadarella
02-09-2009, 7:35 PM
Ah yes, but then the blacksmith and collar maker jobs turned into factory line work. Where's the quality of life in that? The efficiencies gained by computers just meant that people worked long hours at a computer instead of with pen and paper.

I was all on board the progress bandwagon, until I started realizing that we are working longer hours than ever before. We used to scoff at the Japanese and the hours they put in, but the U.S. passed them by a few years ago. I read an article stating that Gen Xers have less wealth and free time than their Baby Boomer parents. 2 income earners in a family is the standard, if not the requirement.

If all this is true, what are the more efficient machines really buying us? With the speed we are doing things, shouldn't we be able to sit on the beach while the CNC does its job?

What us progress cheerers forgot was the spirit of competitiveness. We have to move faster to compete, and faster and faster. I'm not sure where it will lead. One good side effect is that some small business are able to compete on a more level playing field than the big guys. Hopefully the good will outweigh the bad in the long run, but so far I haven't seen it.

John Sanford
02-10-2009, 3:14 AM
Ah yes, but then the blacksmith and collar maker jobs turned into factory line work. Where's the quality of life in that? The efficiencies gained by computers just meant that people worked long hours at a computer instead of with pen and paper.

I was all on board the progress bandwagon, until I started realizing that we are working longer hours than ever before.
Actually, we aren't. The average hours of work put in by the blue collar and tradesman has gone down, and leisure time has gone up. It's the service workers, especially the management and professionals, who've taken to longer hours. Yeah, I was surprised to find that out as well...

'Puters are tools. Some folks will have a knack for using them creatively. There are some mighty fine carvers out there who can do wonderful things with a chainsaw or powercarving, but can barely carve their own initials with a pocketknife. It'll be the same with CNC.

The intellectual property aspects raised are more important, and time will see how that one goes.

Denny Rice
02-10-2009, 5:25 AM
This brings up one of the points that concerns me. It is now possible for a no talent individual to steal the intelectual property of any craftsman simply by buying one of his pieces and scanning it, and having it built in some third world country. This theft of the one advantage that the lone craftsmen had, his unique style that was difficult to copy. Why develop a new style only to see it cheapened by stolen copys?

I, with my brother designed and manufacturered an air tool rack, applied for patents, and started to sell it to catalog sale outfits. Then a Chinese company started making copys for less for one of the companys we were dealing with, and there was not enough money in it to bother fighting so we just stopped production.

So why would I bother to design anything that will just be stolen? I have a couple of nice designs that I would like to market, but I just don't have the heart for it. I am a woodworker, not a politician......

Larry,

This is exactly what happened to me in the Commercial Photography Industry. I had a talent that had been crafted for almost 2 decades, shooting slide film on a 4X5 camera for people like Delta faucet and RCA then digital photography came along and the whole industry feel apart IMHO. What I mean by that is it took a craft that took a lot of training and dedication to a job that a trained monkey can do today. Its really sad, not just for what happened to me but it has taken a lot of creativity and SKILL out of the profession. At one time a designer would spend maybe 2 hrs working on a set, the photographer would pull roids till he or she thought the exposure was dead on then expose the film. Now you put a digital back in the camera, hit the button on the computer and wait 3 minutes. If you don't like it, you throw it away in the computers trash can and hit the button again. A very boring job indeed. Anyone with a scanner can steal anything, its been happening to photographers for a long time. The digital age has screwed the "artist" indeed.