PDA

View Full Version : Reviews of JET 707410 10" Jointer/Planer Combo?

Greg L. Brown
02-08-2009, 2:40 PM
I'm in need of a jointer. I already have a 12" Delta lunchbox planer, but I've been holding off on the jointer for a while because they are sort of pricey. I'm newer to woodworking, and I don't want to spend a ton of money on tools. I had my mind pretty much made up on the Ridgid 6" jointer (despite the warnings to skip the 6" and get an 8"), but then I came across the new Jet 10" Jointer/Planer combo unit (707410).

I searched all over the 'net and couldn't find any solid reviews on it (probably because it's so new). Did anyone take the plunge and get this new Jet combo tool? Does anyone have any opinions on the Jet 10" Jointer/Planer combo unit (707410). Here's a link: http://woodworking.jettools.com/Products.aspx?Part=707410

It has it's drawbacks (universal motor and small table), but the price is nearly irresistable at $419 and I'm just a light weekend woodworker. The other combo units (Grizzly 10") are way too expensive for me. And an 8" stand-alone jointer is also out of my price range. I've been looking on Craigslist for honestly about a year (on and off) and have yet to find a decent used 8" (I live in the Chicago area).

I'm a bit tight on space, so a combo unit would be nice. I'd also sell my 12" Delta planer, so the Jet combo unit would probably only cost me around $300.

Thanks,
Greg

Dewey Torres
02-08-2009, 2:47 PM
Greg,
Not a review but an observation on that machine. The bed looks to be on the short side and well stepping down to a 10 inch planer for you may have you wishing you spent more money on one of the bigger combo machines.

Peter Scoma
02-08-2009, 3:04 PM
I know everyones anti-6in jointer but I purchased the G0452 for my 100sq ft shop and really like it. Its currently on sale right now as well.

PS

Ron Bontz
02-08-2009, 5:09 PM
I don't know anything about the 10" version. But I just got my nibby little hands on the 12" version by jet about a week ago. I got a good deal on it so I decided to give a look. Finding a display model to look over and play with proved a little tuff. I have a DJ20 and a DC380 at the moment. Takes up a little bit of space in my little shop. Anyway I haven't actually used it yet since I don't have a plug on it. Minor problem:)I am not sure I will like the fence system being aluminum and steel. I grabed it and tried to move it but it does seem fairly solid so it may just be my old fashion desire for cast iron. Pretty basic design from what I can see. Could be better I think. The jointer table hinges up pretty well out of the way to let you flip the chip chute the other direction. There doesn't seem to be a lot of time involved switching overas well. You joint one direction and plane the other unless I am mistaken. It weighs around 500 lbs so there is some heft to it. The table lengths I don't really think are that big of a deal. They are longer than the 6" Delta I had. My DJ20 is about 20" longer total and I like that for longer boards, but it is not needed most of the time. The other down side IMO is the loss of width capacity. I would be going from 15" to 12" max. Makes me think about one of the Euro models with a 15" width. But not the bucks that would go with it. I would probably never use that on the jointer aspect anyway. If you could find some one close to where ever you are and play with it a bit, I think that would be a major plus for you to decide depending on what you are wanting to do. Best of luck.:)

John Adam
02-08-2009, 7:53 PM
Greg,

I'm in the same boat as you and took the plunge a few weeks ago - bought the exact model you're considering (from Amazon w/ free shipping).

Before you get excited - I haven't used it yet! I hope to get it into the shop next weekend, but have a bunch of other things to get done.

If you can wait a week, I'll give my review..

I did hear that (in addition to those already mentioned) the jointer doesn't have rabbetting capability and the fence doesn't adjust across the blade - which means you'll either wear out the blade faster, or build some sub-fences...

Steve Schoene
02-08-2009, 8:26 PM
I haven't used one, but have seen one on display. It does have short beds. I was a bit surprised to find that the jointer fence felt very solid. My impression is that this would be a good starter tool. Whether this is your ideal tool for the long run depends on the kind of work you do.

It's not going to be a good tool for jointing 6' boards. You'd have to work on rigging additional supports and the like.

The combo concept is a good one however, in my opinion. (I own a Hammer A3-41)

Greg L. Brown
02-08-2009, 9:55 PM
John,
Yes, I read your post and thought "Ah HAH, here's someone who bought one..." but then I read you hadn't set it up yet. Doh! I know the feeling though. I bought a miter saw back in Nov and it took me nearly a month to even get it out of the box. I'm so damn busy lately and woodworking is always the first thing to get bumped.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your review of the unit.

Sounds like the Jet 10" combo unit might be just what I'm looking for. I know it's not best in class, but I'm already waaaay over my tool budget and I still need a few more things (router, circular saw and some smaller tools).

One more question: For long boards, say 6' and up, is there a way to rig an outfeed support for a jointer? Or is a rigged (I'm talking like an adjustable roller stand) jointer outfeed table not precise enough? In other words, does it have to be exactly the same height as the jointer's outfeed table or it won't work?

Thanks for all the help,
Greg

Wilbur Pan
02-08-2009, 10:47 PM
It's not going to be a good tool for jointing 6' boards. You'd have to work on rigging additional supports and the like.

Rikon had a 10" jointer a few years back. I have one, which has a 40" table. This one seems identical, except that my motor is a 220V. Jointing a 6 foot board is no problem. 8 feet is pushing it's limitations.

One more question: For long boards, say 6' and up, is there a way to rig an outfeed support for a jointer?

Yes. Any adjustable stand will do.

James Carmichael
02-09-2009, 7:52 AM
I have to echo the short bed concern, but it looks like a great entry-level machine for those on a budget.

Jointers should really always have in or outfeed (especially the latter) for long/heavy boards, as they tend to be top heavy and prone to tip.

Greg L. Brown
02-09-2009, 3:31 PM
Wilbur wrote

Rikon had a 10" jointer a few years back. I have one, which has a 40" table. This one seems identical, except that my motor is a 220V. Jointing a 6 foot board is no problem. 8 feet is pushing it's limitations.Wilbur, overall did you like your 10" Rikon combo unit? It does sound similar to this new Jet one.

I'm glad to hear I can use off-the-shelf infeed and outfeed support (simple tables or rollers) to get around the short-bed problem.

Thanks,
Greg

Myk Rian
02-09-2009, 4:41 PM
A sheet metal outfeed table? I think I would get a separate jointer.
I found a Jet 6" on craigslist last spring for a good price. Glad I got it.
You just might want to keep the planer you have.

Wilbur Pan
02-10-2009, 8:24 AM
Wilbur, overall did you like your 10" Rikon combo unit? It does sound similar to this new Jet one.

I really like it. Having the 10" jointing capacity more than makes up for the short bed "problems".

The main reason I bought this machine because of space issues in my little basement shop. But even if I get a bigger shop one day, I would only replace this with a larger jointer/planer combo.

david nance
02-10-2009, 7:19 PM
I bought the Jet 10 in. Combo because of space and budget constraints. I like it. So far I have face jointed some 7 inch wide hard maple and planed some 8 in. wide jatoba with no problems. The surface finish is as good as any other portable planer that i've seen. I don't normally joint long boards, but if I had to, I would use a roller stand for extra support.

Greg L. Brown
02-10-2009, 8:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies (esp David and Wilbur). I'll probably buy it sight unseen, since no one around me has it on display. Therefore, I'm glad I was able to find someone who owns it and likes it.

I don't understand why these units aren't more popular. I'd be willing to pay just a bit more for a little more quality (longer bet, better motor, etc.). It seems so logical to combine the two machines.

Anyway, I think I'm going to take the plunge and get this Jet 10" combo unit. I'm just a beginning woodworker, and while I'd love to buy a higher-end Grizzly combo unit, it's just too expensive for a hobby.

Thanks,
Greg

Lance Miles
02-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Hi Greg,

I wanted to point something out. You stated "you can't understand why this model isn't more popular". The reason is because it is so new to the market. I happen to work at the Woodcraft store here in Houston and we have yet to receive our first unit -- we have had them on back order from JET for almost 2 months and as of 2/13/09 we are still waiting. The first thing we check from our weekly delivery is to see if "it" has arrived because we are so anxious to get one in our hands. We also have many many customers who are excited to see this model and take one home (me included) so don't think it won't be a popular machine. I was glad to see that David got one and has already cut his JET's teeth on some Maple and Jatoba (certainly test wood on any new machine). BTW - David thanks for posting I'm getting my checkbook ready. I think for the hobbyist this model is going to fill a BIG void in the industry. We all want our dedicated 15"+ jointer and planer with a Byrd Spiral cutter head -- but in the meantime a 10" capacity jointer/planer combo with a walkout price of $419. is really something to consider and get excited about. Greg let us know what you think about yours when you get her up and running. Have fun everyone!!

Rod Sheridan
02-15-2009, 7:31 PM
I don't understand why these units aren't more popular. I'd be willing to pay just a bit more for a little more quality (longer bet, better motor, etc.). It seems so logical to combine the two machines.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg, combination jointer/planers are the norm in most countries, we just happen to live on the "wrong" side of the ocean so they aren't as familiar to us.;)

I have a combo and am extremely pleased with it....Rod.

Curt Harms
02-16-2009, 8:29 AM

Thanks,
Greg

I think in the "new world" space is at less of a premium so shops tend to be larger than in Europe. Larger shops have more space for more machines. Combos do have their downsides so they're not a slam-dunk especially for heavy users. Shorter jointer beds, changeover times, etc. It depends on individual styles and needs. Then there's the "If it's good enough for (Dad, Granddad, Uncle, my buddy Bob, etc.) it's good enough for me." Nice to have the choice though, isn't it?

Curt

Greg L. Brown
02-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Hi Greg,

I happen to work at the Woodcraft store here in Houston and we have yet to receive our first unit -- we have had them on back order from JET for almost 2 months and as of 2/13/09 we are still waiting. The first thing we check from our weekly delivery is to see if "it" has arrived because we are so anxious to get one in our hands. We also have many many customers who are excited to see this model and take one home (me included) so don't think it won't be a popular machine.

Lance,
Can't anyone order one on Amazon and get it in a few days? I'm surprised there's a supply issue (there's been about 3-4 people that have posted that said they have one). Anyway, it would be nice to see one in person before buying one, so I hope they get into stores soon. I'm still anxious for some magazine reviews, I'd think they'd be able to get their hands on one to review it.

Thanks,
Greg

John Adam
02-16-2009, 7:42 PM
Guys,

I finally got this set up and ran some boards through it.

My impression is that there's a lot here for $400, but that I will have to remind myself of that often.

Here are some random thoughts...

- the table looks REALLY short, probably because it's soooo wide! At 36
inches, it's only 6 inches shorter than a typical 6" jointer (at 42"). I
plan on building extension tables for it anyway, so no biggie.

- the overall size and weight are great for a small shop - I can lift it
without too much of a strain (I'm about 170 lbs and not in terrific shape).
I was going to build a mobile base, but I don't really need it. I'll only
be moving it out from the corner to use it and figure I can use the
exercise.

- the 10" wide jointer bed is very inviting and I'm sure will save a lot of ripping and
gluing in my future.

- there's a lot of plastic. All the adjustment knobs and the dust chute are
plastic. Some feel pretty flimsy.

- I got it assembled in about 1 hour, no real problems

- The tables are flat, the fence is aluminum and adjustable from 90 to 135
degrees. The planer seems deep enough and the base seems solid (I do
recommend not fully tightening the base until you get the jointer mounted,
contrary to the instructions).

- The crank used to adjust the planer depth doesn't feel as smooth as it
should, but then again, I've never used another one, so I'm not sure how
it's supposed to feel. Also, the small plastic handle just seems a bit
cheap.

- The dust collection in jointer mode is horrible - so bad that I think I might be doing it wrong!

- I've run a few boards (oak and pine) the jointer guage was spot on right out of the box. I set it to 1/16 of an inch and that's exactly what it took off. If I feed too fast, i get some 'chatter' on the board, but if I'm slow, it's very clean.

- The planer operates under the same rule - lousy dust collection and feed rate is premium.

The net for me is that I think this will work fine for my needs in the near future. I'm excited about actually using 'square' lumber!!!

Lance Miles
02-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Greg,

Our shipment of the new 10" and 8" jointer/planer has finally hit our (Woodcraft) store and we set one up the other night. Took about an hour and like John stated in the previous post -- wait to tighten the base assembly legs until after you have the unit mounted so as to make aligning the bolt holes a lot easier. I found the finish on the jointer bed to be "better than I expected". The look would fool you into believing it's cast iron until you run your hand underneath and feel that its not. The fence seems a little chinsey -- not much beef there. I was suprised that the unit seemed so solid once put together considering it's light weight. Pushing on the sides and against the fence didn't "flex" the stamped base legs like one would think it would. I agree with the previous post that there are many plastic parts -- knobs and such which I wish were metal but time will tell -- its not going to keep me from purchasing one. I'll let you know what I think when we are able to put some wood in it. Good Night Everyone!!

Greg L. Brown
02-21-2009, 1:35 PM
Sounds like this new 10" Jet Combo unit is pretty decent for $419. Although the dust collection problem that John mentioned is troubling (that's the first I've heard of that from other posters-- although there are very few reviews on this unit at the moment).

Since I'm not in a rush I'll wait to hear what other uses think. If you have one, please post your comments (there are many people who are interested in this unit)

-Greg

Lance Miles
02-23-2009, 1:51 AM
Greg,

Just wanted to let you know we already sold out our first order of the 10" model in two days here at Woodcraft. I think its going to be a very popular model and have decided to get one myself, Happy Woodworking to you!

Lance

Todd Pretty
02-25-2009, 3:47 AM
Is the bed of the planer, under the cutterhead, cast or sheet metal? My buddies planer which I borrowed the other day has a sheet metal bed, and it actually deflects under use and many narrower boards (2" -3") would twist as the bed deflected... needless to say, I was shocked and very unhappy about that.

Do the jointer tables swing out of the way of the planer? It appears that the jointer tables hang over the planer infeed and out feed; does this cause any problems?

Any more user reviews on this machine? I'm very interested in it.

I was looking at an older Makita 2030 combo unit, in decent shape, for $600. Anyone have experience with both? What would you recommend?

Thanks

Paul Johnstone
02-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm a bit tight on space, so a combo unit would be nice. I'd also sell my 12" Delta planer, so the Jet combo unit would probably only cost me around $300.

Thanks,
Greg

Since you already have a 12" delta planer, why not just get a 6" jointer and keep the planer you have?
Do you have room for that? I used a 6" jointer for a long time. It's not as nice as an 8" jointer, but IMO that's mainly due to shorter beds.

I think someone said on another thread that this jet unit only has a 2 blade cutterhead (please correct me if I'm wrong).

IMO, this combo unit seems to be too much of a compromise. The extra 4" of width vs a regular 6" jointer does not outweigh the compromises you will have to deal with. I think even a lower end 6" jointer would be more enjoyable to use.

glenn bradley
02-25-2009, 11:02 AM
There's been a lot of good discussion here. My two cents is that I got rid of a jointer with beds longer than those . . . because they were too short. This won't apply to all people as we all do different kinds of work and do it differently.

Greg L. Brown
02-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Is the bed of the planer, under the cutterhead, cast or sheet metal? My buddies planer which I borrowed the other day has a sheet metal bed, and it actually deflects under use and many narrower boards (2" -3") would twist as the bed deflected... needless to say, I was shocked and very unhappy about that.

Wow, good point Todd. I'll be interested to hear if there's sheet metal or cast AL (or Iron) under the cutter knives for the planer. It's weighs on 84 lb., so it may be sheet metal (ugh!).

Hopefully as people get these units the will post their impressions (and thanks to those who already have!). Lots of interest in 'em!

-Greg

Alex Johnston
07-07-2009, 2:49 PM
I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these myself now. Any of you folks that now have 4 months on them have any additional comments?

Johnnyy Johnson
12-10-2009, 5:51 PM
I found this old thread. I would like to buy this jointer, but I only need it to face plane boards before they go in my delta 15" planer. I have a 6" delta jointer but never use it but to face plane. Have any of you guys got any thing to add. I can not find any reviews. The people that bought them , how do you like them??

Thanks
Johnny

Jason Kassis
01-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Johnny,

Since last April I was looking for reviews of the Jet 10" jointer/planer. I have a small garage shop that sees occasional hobby use. I didn't have the space or the money to spend on a larger machine. The mixed reviews made me hesitate for a while but when It finally came time to build a piece of furniture (plant table for my wife) I took the plunge and picked one up at the end of December.

My previous experiences using a jointer was back in the 80s in 8th grade shop class and in the 90s working for Great Planes Model Mfg (a division of Hobbico) in Urbana, IL. That being said, this machine doesn't have the same solid feel as a cast iron floor machine but my experience so far is that it does a very good job overall of both jointing and planing. For my use, it fits the bill and I have not experienced the problems that other negative reviewers on Amazon have experienced with the machine. I took two 8-foot sections of 2" red oak (cut with my saw mill seen here Another woodworker from IL (http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f3/another-woodworker-il-14534/) and resawn on my bandsaw to roughly 7/8") and turned it into 5/8" material on the jointer/planer for the plant table. I still have to finish the project but so far so good. The boards are square and have a very smooth finish on them.

The only minor issue I had was when I was setting it up I had to take apart the safety guard assembly and set the guard spring correctly so it would swing back against the fence (instead of the opposite direction.) I would suggest it to anyone like me who isn't turning out furniture as a full time business and doesn't have the space for bigger machines. And for $420 you can't beat the price for a 10" jointer.

Josh Claar
01-29-2011, 8:50 PM
I just picked up one of these today myself. I'm a "hobby" level woodworker. This is my first jointer and I figured why not get one with the planer as well?

For any folks near Auburn WA, you can get a very good deal on JET/Powercraft stuff here:

http://www.equipmentsalesandsurplus.com/category_s/34.htm

I was able to get one of these in an opened box for $215.

It looks like they ship also, but the deals aren't as good online.

Just passing along.

Jeremy Greiner
01-29-2011, 11:34 PM
I have the Jet 10'' and wrote a review http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?152733-Jet-JJP-10BTOS-Review&p=1563180&highlight=#post1563180 I'm still fairly happy with the purchase. I moved it to a custom stand which knocked the wings out of coplaner I called Jet on instructions to re-align the beds and they sent em over it was very straight forward. I just used it again today actually, after getting used to the change over. It goes fairly fast and is second nature by now.

If you're ok with using outfeed (and most likely infeed) rollers for jointing anything over 4' then you're set.

-jeremy

Jason Kassis
01-31-2011, 1:47 PM
Good to see others have had good luck with Jet's entry level 10" jointer/planer as well. And what a great price, for $215! It's been a little over a year since I last posted (wow, time flies!) and although I haven't used it for a few months the machine still works well. One of the last things I made with it is this key holder for our foyer. Started with a 2" thick piece of walnut that was pretty warped (cut from a co-worker's tree, air dried to about 14% moisture content) got it down to 1-1/4" with the jointer/planer and then used my 1/8" band saw blade to cut it out. You can see the resulting very smooth finished product.

John TenEyck
01-31-2011, 4:05 PM
For those interested in jointer/planer combo machines, I can highly recommend an Inca. Swiss machine so that should tell you something about its precision. One sold on another forum recently for less than $1000. New they were well over $3K when they were last sold. I've had one for more than 20 years. I paid $950 for it and am the third owner of a machine that is probably around 30 years old now. If you buy rough hardwood as I do, having a 10" jointer is highly desirable. Mine has a 1-1/2 HP Baldor motor, belt drive, which is adequate if you keep cuts at 1/16" or less, even in hard maple. Minus the motor, the machine only weighs about 75 lbs, yet it feels rock solid on it's 25 lb mahagony stand. Takes up very little space in my shop and change over time is about 30 seconds. I've put one $20 planetary gear belt in it in all those years and have face jointed and planed thousands of bf with it. I now have a 12" Foley-Belsaw planer/molder (guess I like combo machines) that I use primarily for planing because its big 5HP motor can power through anything, but the Inca with it's 10" jointer will remain a permanent resident in my shop. If you ever come across an Inca combo machine, I'd recommend you give it serious consideration.

Robert Wolf
12-29-2015, 12:53 AM
I bought this over the Black Friday holiday this year. It's a piece of trash. Aluminum/ plastic construction. Jointer fence was cupped. Jointer Infeed table has a nice wobble in it. So does the planer Infeed. 3 of the lockdown knobs were broken. It's a great product. Turns my rough lumber into trapezoids so I can have more practice with my hand planes. :(

Ben Rivel
12-29-2015, 11:38 AM
Oh Jet... Ill be saving my money for a Hammer.

Curt Harms
12-31-2015, 8:41 AM
There is a significant difference between the 10" Jet benchtop and 12" Jet. Like a few hundred pounds. 10" Jet weighs 73.9 lbs. 12" Jet weighs around 500 lbs.

Robert Wolf
02-03-2016, 7:35 PM
Oh Jet... Ill be saving my money for a Hammer.
I honestly though Jet was a reliable brand. That's why I bought in the first place. Months later, fighting with the Jet rep they finally agreed to a refund and field destroy. Needless to say the motor burnt out. I guess it didn't like being in a shop made spindle sander. :). I was able to get enough money from the scrap yard to score some sand paper though. :)