PDA

View Full Version : Worksharp 3000

Dave Novak
02-08-2009, 1:20 PM
After much research in these threads I've decided this is likely the most idiot-proof system to sharpen my plane blades and chisels. I'm waiting for it to go on sale somewhere but in the meantime I figured I'd use some scraps laying around the shop to build a base for it to sit on with a few drawers for extra disks/paper, etc. As I've never seen one except on the web, can someone who owns one tell me what kind of footprint it has or recommend the dimensions of a base that would make sense? Also, how deep would a drawer need to be to comfortably fit extra disks in? Anything else I should keep in mind? Thanks!

Jim Koepke
02-08-2009, 1:50 PM
Dave,
Some of your questions will go unanswered as my sharpening system is the Veritas MK II power sharpening system which is of a similar design even though the MK II does all the sharpening on the top.

Also, consider that you will likely want some extra room to stow the blades you are working on.

My concern would be if the cooling air will actually be enough to keep from burning tools being sharpened. It also appears the cooling flow is drawn through the motor. This may not be a problem.

Doing a Google search indicated a price at one dealer for $199.95, not sure if this is the price point for which you are looking. One thing to consider is all the accessories will increase the price. Get extra abrasive disks. Nothing is worse than needing to hone a blade one evening only to find you need a new abrasive sheet and it is too late to order one.

My purchase of the MK II was based on a review in Fine Wood Working. Not sure if the Worksharp was available at the time.

I know some do not like this type of system, but for me the results is what counts.

Happy hunting,

jim

glenn bradley
02-08-2009, 2:31 PM
I am one of those sad individuals that lacks the sharpening gene. This is not my fault any more than the fact that my eyes are brown. Nature just decided against me being able to put an edge on anything without some form of a guide or rest.

The WS3000 has been great and allows me to get a hair-shaving edge in just a few minutes. Touch-ups take seconds and are stupid-easy due to the registration bed. The angle is always right. It comes with everything most folks could require to get started and to keep going for quite awhile. I've had mine for quite sometime and only recently bought some extra abrasives as they were on sale. I still haven't opened them yet as I haven't used up what comes with the machine.

Jim brings up one of my concerns when I was looking at the machine; heat. I was pleased that it is not a problem. I have never over-heated a tool and in practice, you would really have to try to do so. The entire unit remains cool during operation although the housing got just a bit warm after my first sharpening session . . . After trying the unit on a couple of chisels and liking it, I wanted to set a baseline on all my flat cutters; so I did them all . . . . that lasted about 30 minutes.

You may want an extra plate if you do leather honing. These can be found on sale frequently as many WW supply houses carry the product line. My dad made a plate out of 1/2" MDF and applied his own leather. I was skeptical but there is minimal pressure use while honing and it works perfectly.

Don't bother with the WS2000. It is a mutant product and I am not sure who would benefit enough from it to spend $100. With the fixed angle and minimal adjustability, I can't really imagine they sell many of them.

As to the base, mine is about 7-1/2" by 11-1/2" and made from top-quality scrap plywood and four leftover t-nuts. The size was determined to some extent by my dog hole spacing. I just cinch it with the vise and go to it. I have a small box with a couple slots cut in it to accept the plates not in use and to hold the gum-stick and such. The box and the tool set on a shelf in a cupboard close to my bench. I can set it up in moments for a touch-up or a full sharpening session and then set it back in the cupboard when I'm done. No muss, no fuss.

P.s. I do give it a quick vacuum swipe before I put it away as I don't like metal dust mingling with my WW stuff.

Dave Novak
02-08-2009, 2:51 PM
Thanks guys! I hadn't found a website that gave the dimensions, so seeing how yours fit on a 7 1/2" X 11 1/2" was perfect. I'll probably make mine a little wider so two disks can fit across a drawer. I'm also guessing I can get away with a 2" deep drawer for disks and the wide blade accessories and maybe a 1" deep drawer for extra sandpaper. Anything else I should consider?

Jim Paulson
02-08-2009, 4:23 PM
Hi Dave,

I also have the WS3000 and I'm pleased with it. Glenn made a bunch of good points. I just wanted to let you know that I got mine with the leather honing plate included. They had run a special earlier where they included the leather honing plate (about $16 I think) and when I bought mine Woodcraft agreed to include it for me as well.

I haven't had mine that long, but I have sharpened some wide lathe chisels as well as a few carpenters chisels.

I spent a little time making some adjustments so that my cutting edges were 90 degrees when I first starting using mine. The instructions were clear on how to do that.

Thanks for talking about the base, I am still thinking about storage aspects too.

Good Luck,

Jim

Ralph Okonieski
02-08-2009, 5:28 PM
I just recently purchased a WS 3000 and am very pleased. Hartville tool has it for $199.98 and a free honing wheel until April. No affiliation with HV Tool, just a satisfied customer.

Jim Koepke
02-08-2009, 6:23 PM
How wide of a plane blade can the guide accept?

jim

Jacob Mac
02-08-2009, 6:41 PM
I just recently purchased a WS 3000 and am very pleased. Hartville tool has it for $199.98 and a free honing wheel until April. No affiliation with HV Tool, just a satisfied customer.

Hartville also has free shipping. I just bought one and I got the shipping and the honing wheel for free. I have got to quit reading this site and finding so many great ways to "save money"

Chuck Tringo
02-08-2009, 8:35 PM
How wide of a plane blade can the guide accept?

jim

by itself, 2inches...but you can get a wide blade attachment (which I will be soon) that can handle a 3 inch blade for $60

Jim Koepke
02-09-2009, 12:20 AM
by itself, 2inches...but you can get a wide blade attachment (which I will be soon) that can handle a 3 inch blade for $60

That is good to know. 4 of my planes have blades wider than that.

jim