PDA

View Full Version : Which Table saw?

Shawn Stennett
02-08-2009, 12:52 PM
I have out grown my little contractor saw and have decided to buy hopefully my last one. I really like the reviews on Grizzly machines that have seen. I am thinking about

http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg288/g/g0691.jpg (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0691/images/)G0691 10" 3HP 220V Cabinet Table Saw with Long Rails & Riving Knife

http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg288/g/g1023slx.jpg (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1023SLX/images/)G1023SLX 10" Table Saw 3 HP Single-Phase 220V Left-Tilt w/ 7' Rails

The first is a new model and the second has free shipping right now. I think they are pretty much the same except the GO691 has a riving knife and the G1023SLX has the Shop Fox fence. If it was your choice which one? Thank you for any help and advice.

Thad Nickoley
02-08-2009, 1:02 PM
Good morning Shawn, there are a lot of threads about table saws. I have read about all of them. I have decided on the 1023SL. Dont need the 'X', only do small boxes. anyway, it should arrive tomorrow. I will keep you informed. I also didn't care about the fence because I will outfit with the Incra TS-LS system.

Shawn Stennett
02-08-2009, 1:45 PM
I would appreiciate updates on setup and such. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything.

Jim O'Dell
02-08-2009, 3:12 PM
I'm saving my pennies for the G0691. For the money, I don't think you can get a new saw with better features. The riving knife and the dust port on the right side of a left tilt saw are the two selling points for me. I have an email to Grizzly right now on some questions that will help me solidify my decision, but the two features I mentioned above are well worth the 100.00 difference between the two saws for me. As long as the trunnion is not radically lighter duty. Jim.

glenn bradley
02-08-2009, 3:37 PM
A lot of people love their 1023's and it is a proven Griz model. The riving knife and the dust port on the side would lean me to the newer saw but wouldn't be a deal breaker if I was going to save enough on the 1023 to buy myself a high quality rip blade, a 40T and a high quality crosscut blade.

Shawn Stennett
02-08-2009, 4:53 PM
I did not even think about the dust port being in a different location. This is why I wanted to ask because of different points for each saw. The 691 is a good bit heavier (150 #'s), I am curious where the weight is added being that it is the same diemensions that I can tell. The 1023 is $50s more not counting shipping which is free making it $100 less in reality.

Mike Wellner
02-08-2009, 5:20 PM
I'd buy a used Unisaw, or a PM 66

Leo Vogel
02-08-2009, 5:33 PM
I really believe that the table saw is the one tool in the shop that you should buy the best you can afford to buy. Almost everything in the shop touches the saw sometime, and a first class saw is a joy to use and can last you a lifetime, if taken care of. I really love my PM2000, but all the saws mentioned are fine saws. The PM66 is a great saw, and many woodworkers have had them for decades, and probably will have them for decades to come.

Paul Ryan
02-08-2009, 5:34 PM
Shawn,

I bought a new steel city saw last spring that has riving knife. For $100 you are crazy not to buy the 0691. It is so nice having that piece of steel after the blade. It is almost like have a feather board after the blade. I bet the 1023 and 0691 are very very similar saws. But there is a fair amount of re-engineering that goes in to creating a trunion that incorperates a riving knife. If you have a chance check out the steel city saws. They are also a good buy, but you can't go wrong with a grizzly.

One thing I forgot to add. Spend as much as you possibly can afford. I just purchased a saw one year ago, thinking it would be the last table saw I would ever buy. The sawstop discussion has come up recently with my wife and I. Last year she said spend the $$ and but the sawstop, I chose not too. Now a year latter, she is saying I would feel alot more comfortable if you had a sawstop. So I am in the process of looking for a used one. Who knows if it will happen or not. But I should have just bought the SS right away. The would definatly be the last saw I would ever own. But the SS costs about 3k more than the grizzly.

Jim Becker
02-08-2009, 9:32 PM
The G0691 is the right choice of the two, IMHO, as it is likely the going-forward product due to the riving knife. (Which all new saw models are now mandated to have)

Shawn Stennett
02-08-2009, 10:36 PM
The 691 will probaly be the one after the suggestions made here but will look into the others before I place the order. I think for the type and amount of work I will do on it I think it will be more than enough saw. Compared to my little Craftsman contractor saw that the extensions are starting to sag and the fence is not true any longer, I think any saw will make me extremely happy.

scott spencer
02-08-2009, 11:39 PM
The G0691 has the advantage of a riving knife, and I suspect the fence is a bit more refined as well.

Rob Robinson VT
10-03-2009, 5:38 PM
Having just built a new 14x20 barn/woodshop (pics below) I too am agonizing about the new "toys" with which to populate it. The centerpiece obviously is a new TS (it's high time to replace my trusty old Bosch 4000 contractor's saw) and I've learned much from the forums here and am thankful for all of the terrific experience, information and sources posted here. Right now I'm leaning toward the Grizzly GO691 as it appears to be at the peak of the price/features/performance curve, although my heart throbs every time I see the new Delta Unisaw at my local dealer (Tool Nut (http://www.toolnut.com/) in Yorktown Heights).

btw, for any of you in the metro NY area, Tool Nut is a terrific store with a great selection of woodworking tools and equipment and they're having a big event next Saturday (October 10th) with lots of manufacturer demos & support, door prizes, special event pricing, free hot dogs, etc., etc.

scott vroom
10-03-2009, 9:22 PM
I too am in the process of choosing a TS for my new shop. I've narrowed it to either the G0690 or G0691. I have a small shop and am leaning toward the shorter G0690. It has a 30" rip cap right of fence and I'm hard pressed to think of a time I'd need the larger 52" rip cap of the 0691. I have no interest in running heavy 4x8 3/4" plywood stock singlehanded through a TS.....instead I plan to breakdown the 4x8 stock to a manageable size using a skillsaw and straight edge then make finish cuts on the TS

It's interesting that no one has suggested the Sawstop. I was in my local Woodcraft store this afternoon and the sales manager was trying to scare me into forking over $4,000 for the Sawstop. He reeled off numerous stories about lost fingers and thumbs. It's pretty sobering to realize that in an instant a saw can lop off a body part. The Sawstop safety system reacts 5 times faster than an auto airbag system. It's virtually impossible to sustain a serious injury (according to the sales guy anyway). I guess the bottom line question for you all is whether you believe that taking all reasonable safety measures reduces the chances of serious injury to near zero.

Rod Sheridan
10-03-2009, 9:54 PM
I just placed a deposit on a Hammer B3 Winner, replacing a General 650 cabinet saw.

I would save up a few more bucks and buy a sliding saw if I were you, especially if you plan on keeping it for a couple of decades.

Regards, Rod.

Rob Robinson VT
10-03-2009, 10:39 PM
I'd love to have a SawStop but they're simply way outside of my price range as I've also got wiring, insulation, lighting, work benches, dust collection, etc. to do in my new woodshop. Saw them do their infamous hot dog demo at a dealer event and it's amazing safety technology that actually works. Too bad that it's so expensive.

John Callahan
10-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Could be wrong but I suspect the price difference may due to country of origin- Taiwan (G1023SLX) vs China (G0691)

Jacob Mac
10-04-2009, 2:45 PM
I'd love to have a SawStop but they're simply way outside of my price range as I've also got wiring, insulation, lighting, work benches, dust collection, etc. to do in my new woodshop. Saw them do their infamous hot dog demo at a dealer event and it's amazing safety technology that actually works. Too bad that it's so expensive.

Congrats on the shop. That looks like a beauty.

Matt Stiegler
10-04-2009, 3:05 PM
IIRC Shiraz from Grizzly posted here to say the trunnions on the 690/691 are more substantial than the 1023's.

Travis Gunn
10-04-2009, 6:06 PM
I've kept an eye out for someone answering this question but haven't seen it asked. If the safety on a Sawstop "fires", how much does it cost to replace or "reload" it?

Rob Robinson VT
10-04-2009, 6:53 PM
I've kept an eye out for someone answering this question but haven't seen it asked. If the safety on a Sawstop "fires", how much does it cost to replace or "reload" it?
According to the SawStop website it's $69 for a standard cartridge and $89 for a dado cartridge - compare those to the costs for even a minimal couple of stitches and tetanus shot trip to the emergency room!

Brad Westcott
10-04-2009, 7:19 PM

Yeah, that is a great dedicated space. I could really stretch my legs in a shop like that.

My garage is like many others, it shares duty for car storage, lawn equipment (hoping to put a shed out back by years end), and general storage.

Glad to see that you are able to make room for a hobby you really enjoy.

Jeremy Brant
10-04-2009, 7:59 PM
According to the SawStop website it's $69 for a standard cartridge and $89 for a dado cartridge - compare those to the costs for even a minimal couple of stitches and tetanus shot trip to the emergency room!

+ the cost of a new blade, or a rebuild if possible. Still works out in your favor vs. an ER trip.

Rob Robinson VT
10-04-2009, 8:16 PM
Congrats on the shop. That looks like a beauty.

Yeah, that is a great dedicated space. I could really stretch my legs in a shop like that.

My garage is like many others, it shares duty for car storage, lawn equipment (hoping to put a shed out back by years end), and general storage.

Glad to see that you are able to make room for a hobby you really enjoy.
Thanks guys. It was a long-term project that began 2 years ago with finally figuring out where the property lines are for our very oddly-shaped 2.3 acres (our private pond, pictured below, takes up about 3/4of an acre). I'd originally bought plans for a 24x30 2-story gambrel-roofed barn but (a) couldn't find a buildable spot large enough on our property and (b) the cost of construction was way out of our budget, particularly with the hit our investments took last year. Decided to settle for something smaller and fortunately a local post-and-beam builder had a huge sale Memorial Day weekend and this little beauty fit the bill perfectly. We upgraded it with the six double-hung windows, gable vents, window boxes (my cosmetic consolation to the missus), insulated double doors and an insulated floor and it was delivered in late July.

I installed 3/4" unfinished #2 red oak tongue-and-groove flooring and finished it with two coats each of sealer and oil-based urethane. Next weekend I'm building two 7' work benches that will span the rear wall using 2x4Basics legs and solid beech tops from IKEA (a great buy at $59 each for 96.875"x25.625"x1.125", very possibly a bonafide gloat). Then it's on to wiring, insulation, wall/ceiling coverings (leaning towards pine beadboard), lighting (T8 ceiling/T5 workbench), heat (a repurposed Rinnai direct-vent unit from our sunroom) & dust collection. With any luck it will be fully finished and ready for a new TS by early next Spring (a bit slower than I'd like but it's an every other weekend place until the missus retires).

Jimmy Powell
10-05-2009, 5:42 PM
I am in the process of outfitting a small shop in my wife's garage. Her one comment to me about table saws was a Saw Stop only. She likes my fingers right where they are.

I am curious to find comments on the contractors version of the saw stop from anyone.

Matt Stiegler
10-05-2009, 7:50 PM
I am curious to find comments on the contractors version of the saw stop from anyone.

A search here will satisfy your curiosity, and then some.

Rob Robinson VT
10-20-2009, 6:50 PM
While my general plan was to purchase a new Grizzly 691 cabinet saw next Spring, I'm tempted by their new offer on the 1023SLX model at $1,025 ($370 off their normal price :cool:). My primary hesitation is that I'd really like my new saw to have the added safety of a riving knife and that's one of the reasons I was drawn to the 691. Any thoughts on this dilemma? :confused:

Rick Moyer
10-20-2009, 7:51 PM
Rob, like you, I can't afford the Sawstop, but decided I should at least have a riving knife. I DID decide on the 0691 and recently got it hooked up. (I haven't cut anything yet though!). I believe it is also now on sale again. If you would rather save a few more bucks, I believe the 1023SLX would be a great saw as well. I guess it just depends on how much "safety" you are willing to risk. If a PM66 or others fell into my lap at a great price (didn't) I would likely have one of those, but for the price, the Grizzly saws seem to be an outstanding value IMO.
I think the operator is the biggest safety factor, so I wouldn't say someone had to have a riving knife, I just decided that "I" would like one on there for a change.

Rob Robinson VT
10-20-2009, 9:44 PM
Thanks Rick. As tempting as that current sale price is, I'll think that I will hold out for the 691 and keep my fingers crossed that at some point between now and next Spring it too will go on sale (right now they're "only" offering free freight on it) or that a miracle happens that will allow me to purchase a SawStop.

btw, during my research on this subject I came across these terrific Ezee-Feed "universal" infeed & outfeed tables from a little company over in NJ (just south of Philly):

http://www.ezee-feed.com/demo_video.html

I'd be interested to know if anyone here has them and, if so, what their opinion is of how well they work and their relative value. They look to be a nearly perfect solution for those of us who work alone, occasionally need to rip large sheets of material and have limited space. Very clever design IMHO.

Lee Bidwell
10-21-2009, 12:45 AM
Rob. Check out this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=122674

I am in the same boat as you - saving up for a 691 and was tempted by the 1023 sales price. But the 691 is going on sale Nov 2 for $1215 with free shipping, which makes it only about $50 more than the 1023 (after shipping). To me, the riving knife is worth the $50.

Now to decide whether to deviate from this plan totally and by the $500 CL Jet I found today. Decisions, decisions....:)

Good luck and keep us posted.

Lee

Jason White
10-21-2009, 9:34 AM
I got the 1023 (the older green one) last winter and absolutely love it. The only "bad" thing is that it doesn't have a riving knife. You just need to decide how important that is to you.

Jason

I have out grown my little contractor saw and have decided to buy hopefully my last one. I really like the reviews on Grizzly machines that have seen. I am thinking about

http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg288/g/g0691.jpg (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0691/images/)G0691 10" 3HP 220V Cabinet Table Saw with Long Rails & Riving Knife

http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg288/g/g1023slx.jpg (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1023SLX/images/)G1023SLX 10" Table Saw 3 HP Single-Phase 220V Left-Tilt w/ 7' Rails

The first is a new model and the second has free shipping right now. I think they are pretty much the same except the GO691 has a riving knife and the G1023SLX has the Shop Fox fence. If it was your choice which one? Thank you for any help and advice.

Jason Strauss
10-21-2009, 10:12 AM
My Grizzly 0690 is due at my house on Friday! Can't wait! I actually couldn't fall asleep last night - like a kid on Christmas Eve, I was tossing and turning thinking of what I will do with that saw!

For me, the riving knife sealed the deal. Once I finally decided to spend this much money, I stopped trying to find the best deal. While I do find some measure of enjoyment or entertainment in hunting for the best deal, sometimes you just have to set all that aside and go for it.

Decide what features are importantand what you're willing to spend, and then git 'r done!

As a side note: I expected the saw to take upwards of a week to a week and a half to arrive - nothing that arrives at your home via tractor trailer can be expected to take just a few days. Well, imagine my surprise and gidiness when UPS called THE NEXT DAY to schedule delivery. The gal on the phone actually wanted to have it delivered the following day - just two days after I placed my order. Do to work priorities, I have to wait until Friday.

My wife has already given up the idea of diner out this Friday as I'll be in the garage for however long it takes to set that baby up!

Rob Robinson VT
10-21-2009, 11:04 AM
I am in the same boat as you - saving up for a 691 and was tempted by the 1023 sales price. But the 691 is going on sale Nov 2 for $1215 with free shipping, which makes it only about $50 more than the 1023 (after shipping). To me, the riving knife is worth the $50.
Lee, thanks for the tip on the upcoming sale on the 691. Yup, the riving knife is definitely worth the $48 differential! :cool: However, believe that I'm going to have to wait until Spring as getting something that heavy delivered and actually into my shop (which will require getting my friend to come over with his excavator to lift it in through the 5' double doors) this time of year up in VT is hedgy at best and virtually impossible should we get early snowfall. :( Put up some pics when you get yours so I can drool all over my computer!

Gerry Werth
10-21-2009, 9:40 PM
Grizzly has free shipping on the 690/691 right now. 691 is also on sale for 1250...that's a great deal.

Rick Moyer
10-21-2009, 9:43 PM
Rob, it took only two people to wheel mine into the garage(shop) on a standard hand cart. Now if you have to lift it up to some elevation, that may be a different story.

Rob Robinson VT
10-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Rob, it took only two people to wheel mine into the garage(shop) on a standard hand cart. Now if you have to lift it up to some elevation, that may be a different story.
Yeah, that's why it's gonna take my friend with his excavator (take the bucket off, lift with chains, move in through the door into position) to accomplish this. Has to be lifted over a foot off the ground (which is covered with 1-2" crushed stone) into the shop. Even if there were some way to "wheel" it over the stone, I'm not certain that my slat-type ramp is strong enough for something that heavy.

Rob Robinson VT
10-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Grizzly has free shipping on the 690/691 right now. 691 is also on sale for 1250...that's a great deal.
Just checked the Grizzly site and they're still showing the 691 at $1,350, it's the 690 that's listed for $1,250, both with free shipping. Still not bad deals but I'm hopeful that there'll be something closer to the current 1023 deal before I actually "need" to have a new TS. :)

Jeremy Brant
10-22-2009, 3:57 AM
Yeah, that's why it's gonna take my friend with his excavator (take the bucket off, lift with chains, move in through the door into position) to accomplish this. Has to be lifted over a foot off the ground (which is covered with 1-2" crushed stone) into the shop. Even if there were some way to "wheel" it over the stone, I'm not certain that my slat-type ramp is strong enough for something that heavy.

An excavator would definitely be the easy way. You can do without though if need be. Most heavy things I order come on a small box truck with a lift gate that they can get around the driveway and set down on the pavers directly in front of the garage or even on the front steps, but my compressor came on a 53' tractor trailer (with liftgate). Myself and the delivery guy had to unload out on the street and move it ~75' over a pea gravel driveway. The compressor was on a pallet and we used a pallet jack. I had a couple sheets of 1/2" OSB that we just swapped out as necessary to keep the pallet jack rolling over the gravel. I guarantee the ramp into your shop is plenty strong enough for a saw. The loading per sqft isn't too bad. A G0690 assembled would have a sqft loading of 198 lbs/sqft, and the machine crate separate from the others has a loading of 165 lbs/sqft. A 200 lb person puts higher loading per sqft than that.

When I picked up my PM66 we used an engine hoist to pick it up, rolled the trailer under it and set it down, and reversed the process in my garage. The inexpensive hoist we were using didn't roll easily with that much weight, but it will roll with a couple people, and you might be able to use that with the sheets of ply/OSB across the gravel as well.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-22-2009, 6:38 AM
I would buy the one with the riving knife. I used to have a saw with one and really miss it, just have a splitter now.

Rob Robinson VT
10-22-2009, 8:30 AM
An excavator would definitely be the easy way. . . my compressor came on a 53' tractor trailer (with liftgate). Myself and the delivery guy had to unload out on the street and move it ~75' over a pea gravel driveway. The compressor was on a pallet and we used a pallet jack. I had a couple sheets of 1/2" OSB that we just swapped out as necessary to keep the pallet jack rolling over the gravel.
Yup, and these days I'm all about doing it the easy way when it's available! I'm suffering right now from a muscle or tendon I popped :mad: while putting together one of my workbenches weekend before last, so it's easy does it for me. If my new TS were to come on a 53' semi it would take a really, really talented driver to back it up into our driveway - not impossible but pretty challenging.

I would buy the one with the riving knife. I used to have a saw with one and really miss it, just have a splitter now.
I've never had one but from everything that I've been reading it's the next best thing to having a SawStop from a safety viewpoint. Having spent most of my career in the loudspeaker business I've been around some pretty serious wood shops over the years, but my involvement was always sales, marketing and product design so I've got a lot more theory and eyeballing of others under my belt than I do actual practical experience. There's a tools & equipment dealer (The Woodworkers Club) over in Norwalk, CT, that's having a one afternoon, hands-on "Basic Tablesaw" class in January that I've signed up for that will hopefully help me to keep all of my fingers! :eek:

Jim O'Dell
10-22-2009, 11:26 AM
The 1215.00 price for the GO691 doesn't start until November 2, then goes through end of December, IIRC. Still has the free shipping at that price. Part of their Holiday specials. Right now it is 1350.00. Jim.

Rob Robinson VT
10-22-2009, 1:33 PM
The 1215.00 price for the GO691 doesn't start until November 2, then goes through end of December, IIRC. Still has the free shipping at that price. Part of their Holiday specials. Right now it is 1350.00. Jim.
Thanks Jim, that's a valuable piece of information that could save folks here some serious money! :cool: