PDA

View Full Version : Combo Sander, is this a coin toss?

David Song
02-08-2009, 1:16 AM
I'm sorry if I posted somthing similar to this some time ago.
I starting to build guitars as hobby and looking for belt/disco combo.
I am thinking about the following two.
I can seem to see much difference between the two and am wondering if it's just a coin toss away from choosing one over the other.

Would you prefer one over the other? Or would you forfeit both and save for nicer one?

www woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5385

grizzly.com/products/Combination-Sander-6-x-48-Belt-9-Disc-Z-Series/G1014Z

Dewey Torres
02-08-2009, 1:30 AM
If is it a coin toss please know that the Griz comes with the stand and the owner of Griz is a Creeker.

Maybe that will get you off the fence.;)

Jim Becker
02-08-2009, 9:48 AM
A little more money, but consider the G1276. Low speed, cast iron construction including the tables and larger capacities which will make your shaping work easier. The smaller units are sometimes a bit flimsy in my eyes. (I own the G1276 and have found it to be a very good machine for the money, although in retrospect, my needs would be better served with an edge sander)

Perry Underwood
02-08-2009, 10:21 AM
David, I build guitars as well. With a disc sander only half the diameter of the disc is usable, so I think it would be better to get the largest one you can afford. I have a 12 inch disc sander similar to Grizzly's G7297. I have yet to purchase an edge sander, but that will be the next machine I buy.

Shop Fox had a small edge sander, the W1717. I believe it has been discontinued, but some suppliers may still have it.

http://www.dynamitetoolco.com/W1717_1_3_HP_Horizontal_Vertical_Sander_p/woo-w1717.htm

Joe Chritz
02-08-2009, 10:54 AM
I think Grizzly makes an edge sander just for luthier work. The Pres, who pops around here occasionally has several good examples of guitars he has done in some catalogs.

Joe

John Bush
02-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi David,
I had a combo but I never used the disc and the belt was too small for any substantial hunks of stock. I made a mandolin from a kit, but I don't think that qualifies me as a luthier!!!!(kit from Griz--I don't recommend buying one). I bought the G1140 and it has a lot more capacity in both table size and platen length, which works great for larger stuff and would likely be better for finer, accurate finishing of instruments. Several threads have popped up here comparing edge sanders and there were comments on the stability of the 1140 table. It does have minor movement with heavier pieces but hasn't been a problem for me. As long as you aren't making a string base I think you would be fine with the 1140. I have used the PM edge sander and the table heigth adjustment is more awkward then the Griz, so if you are shopping be sure and compare that feature as well.

I do find that the belts tend to clog up when I am running lots of stock thru. I find I use the machine a lot, and an oscillating version would help manage the build-up, but for now the 1140 is fine.

John Bush
02-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Just read Joe's post--
I looked at the luthier specific sander at the showroom and it appears to be a pendulum jig that can sand a radius, used for the neck or fret side of the neck, I'm guessing. I think it is the same as the 1140 rotated horizontally with the the jig mounted vertically.

Alan Greene
02-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Looking at the two sanders, I see two dust ports on the Griz and one on the Rikon. If you are questioning, which it seems you are, whether waiting and getting something better is something you should do then that tells me you are not totally happy with either one for your requirements. Listen to that voice. As I learned, buying something you are not sure of will leave you unhappy in the end and may cost you even more in the future. I would wait and get what you want within your budget constraints.

I recently asked advice about the purchase of a bandsaw. In making my decision on which one to buy the customer service at Griz and the willingness of Grizzly's owner to step in when necessary weighed in positively in my decision. I also listened to spending the extra to go a step above my basic need now to cover the new skills and challenges of the future.

Hopefully my rambling makes sense.:D

george wilson
02-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Alan,is there a Lowe's near you,where you could test run a Delta? Lowe's is super good at taking back unsuitable merchandise. Too good,I think. I've seen people but a power tool,lose the box,build a house with it,and bring it back to them,all beaten up,for a refund.

Alan Greene
02-08-2009, 12:48 PM
George, did you mean David instead of Alan