PDA

View Full Version : Just watched a wonderful movie

Matt Campbell
02-07-2009, 10:32 PM
It's called Fireproof. It was a great reminder for me to remain committed to this beautiful woman who married me and to love her even more every day. I definitely recommend watching it. Then go tell your spouse, "I love you."

Pat Germain
02-08-2009, 11:00 AM
I've heard good things about that movie. But I just can't take Kirk Cameron seriously. To paraphase what Ricky Ricardo used to say, "He's just so ridiculous!".

Matt Campbell
02-08-2009, 3:04 PM
Yeah, it took me a few minutes to get past him being Mike Sevier, but he really did a good job in this film.

Bruce Page
02-08-2009, 5:42 PM
I've heard good things about that movie. But I just can't take Kirk Cameron seriously. To paraphase what Ricky Ricardo used to say, "He's just so ridiculous!".
That’s a price a lot of past teenage heartthrobs have to pay. It’s unfortunate really.
I haven’t seen the movie but probably will now that it’s out on DVD.

Frank Hagan
02-08-2009, 8:00 PM
Cameron is actually very good in the movie; much better than I expected.

The movie was made for under $100,000 by a film company associated with a church; previously they did a movie called Facing the Giants for under $75,000, and it grossed several million. If you watch the credits, you'll see how much was donated ... Chick-Fil-A provided a lot of the meals at no cost, Kirk Cameron accepted a donation to a charity instead of a salary for his role, etc.

Most of the actors are non-pros; I think the woman who plays Kirk's wife in the movie is probably a professional. They are acceptable in it, but some of the rest of the acting is absolutely horrible. The man who plays Kirk's father, for instance, is so wooden that its painful to watch him. I decide that Cameron really was a good actor when a scene with him and his father had me thinking Cameron was really good, even while the actor playing his father was so horrible (usually a bad performance in the scene ruins it entirely).

Cameron is limited in that he has such high standards for acting in a movie; they had to cast a woman that looked enough like his wife so that his wife, Tracey Pollen, could be a stand-in whenever he kissed her (one of his standards is that he won't kiss another woman, even for a role in a movie).

They also re-tell the Gospel two times too many, but its for a Christian audience and I don't think they are too worried about offending non-believers.

All my criticisms aside, its a pretty good movie and worth seeing simply because of Kirk Cameron. He plays the emotions as well as any actor today, ranging from rage to conflicted emotions, to disappointment and love.

Dennis Peacock
02-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Facing the Giants AND Fireproof are both most excellent movies IMHO.

Bruce Page
02-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Cameron is actually very good in the movie; much better than I expected.

The movie was made for under $100,000 by a film company associated with a church; previously they did a movie called Facing the Giants for under $75,000, and it grossed several million. If you watch the credits, you'll see how much was donated ... Chick-Fil-A provided a lot of the meals at no cost, Kirk Cameron accepted a donation to a charity instead of a salary for his role, etc.

Most of the actors are non-pros; I think the woman who plays Kirk's wife in the movie is probably a professional. They are acceptable in it, but some of the rest of the acting is absolutely horrible. The man who plays Kirk's father, for instance, is so wooden that its painful to watch him. I decide that Cameron really was a good actor when a scene with him and his father had me thinking Cameron was really good, even while the actor playing his father was so horrible (usually a bad performance in the scene ruins it entirely).

Cameron is limited in that he has such high standards for acting in a movie; they had to cast a woman that looked enough like his wife so that his wife, Tracey Pollen, could be a stand-in whenever he kissed her (one of his standards is that he won't kiss another woman, even for a role in a movie).

They also re-tell the Gospel two times too many, but its for a Christian audience and I don't think they are too worried about offending non-believers.

All my criticisms aside, its a pretty good movie and worth seeing simply because of Kirk Cameron. He plays the emotions as well as any actor today, ranging from rage to conflicted emotions, to disappointment and love.
FWIW, Tracey Pollen is married to Michael J. Fox.

Matt Campbell
02-08-2009, 11:47 PM
That's strange. My OP shows Keith edited it, but I don't see a change. :confused:

Chris Padilla
02-09-2009, 1:13 AM
That's strange. My OP shows Keith edited it, but I don't see a change. :confused:

I've always been of the guise that if you can't tell what a Mod did to edit your post then no worries! :D

Sometimes I'll correct a glaring spelling mistake or fix some html stuff like quote tags and such.

Dewey Torres
02-09-2009, 1:15 AM
The wifey has been asking about this one for a while now... guess it is time to bump the priority in my Netflix queue.

Bob Moyer
02-09-2009, 8:18 AM
What most people do not know is that this movie and two others were produced by a church in Georgia; most of the actors are volunteers and members of the church. If you watch all three you will see a lot of the same faces.

If you like football you should rent or buy Facing the Giants; http://www.facingthegiants.com/trailer.php their first picture was called Flywheel; http://www.flywheelthemovie.com/ great stories; obviously a Christian theme to them.

This may be my favorite clip of all time in a movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vB59PkB0eQ

http://www.sherwoodbaptist.net/templates/cussherwoodbc/default.asp?id=33770 (http://www.sherwoodbaptist.net/templates/cussherwoodbc/default.asp?id=33770)
http://www.christianitytoday.com/tc/2008/005/1.14.html

Belinda Barfield
02-09-2009, 8:24 AM
Cameron's wife is Chelsea Noble, she played his girlfriend on Growing Pains. I've not seen the movie but I applaud his devotion to his wife, and to his marriage. It raised a ruckus in the entertainment industry when he announced he would not kiss anyone but his wife. That's pretty special in today's world when stars exchange spouses every other movie.

It's also pretty special that so many of you are devoted to your wives. Congraulations on having good and sound marriages.

Glenn Clabo
02-09-2009, 8:28 AM
After losing my childhood sweetheart and wife of 35 years...and then being blessed by DRLOML...everyday is treated like it's our last. Because it just may be.

Bob Moyer
02-09-2009, 8:39 AM
Cameron's wife is Chelsea Noble, she played his girlfriend on Growing Pains. I've not seen the movie but I applaud his devotion to his wife, and to his marriage. It raised a ruckus in the entertainment industry when he announced he would not kiss anyone but his wife. That's pretty special in today's world when stars exchange spouses every other movie.

It's also pretty special that so many of you are devoted to your wives. Congraulations on having good and sound marriages.

There is a lot of emotion in this movie; it had to be a difficult movie for Cameron to do since he needed to mistreat his wife in the movie. I will not reveal more except; this is a must see for all couples; married, living together or engaged; it shows the true committment and work that is involved in marriage.

There are times I know I fail my wife; there are times I know I take her for granted; there are times I do not meet the expecatations I believe she has; but it only makes me work harder to be a better husband; movies like this one; points out those flaws we all have; and truly shows that two people who have GOD in thier life; can overcome our flaws and weaknesses.