PDA

View Full Version : Black Cherry bowl with handles to hold onto ;-))

Leo Van Der Loo
02-07-2009, 9:47 PM
Finished this last week and got thin enough that I didn't want to take another layer of wood off of the bottom to make the foot wider than the tenon was, so I cleaned and squared the tenon up, than turned a Black Walnut ring with a slip fit for a tenon/foot and glued it on, so that is really the reason for the ring, I just didn't like the small foot :)
The bowl is 11"x 4½", with only a beeswax finish on it :)

As always, comments welcome :D

David Christopher
02-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Leo, again a beautiful bowl love the shape and grain, that is a clever idea to put that ring on the foot......again great job....BTW on pit 2 the grain looks like an eyeball

Gary Kvasnicka
02-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Leo,

Another excellent example of your work. Good job!

Bill Bolen
02-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Beautiful piece Leo. Love the color, form and finish. Haven't done the beeswax in awhile. Guess I better get back to it. Maybe I can come close to your soft luster..With that hefty rim even my old hands should be able to hang onto it. I like the walnut ring. A good "save" versus a small foot...Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
02-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Great looking bowl Leo! Love the wood! Also love the oval shape of the handle - functional as well as aesthetically pleasing! Thanks for showing us that by using a ring over a small tenon we don't have to lose form to gain stability. Great tip!

Clarence Sears
02-08-2009, 8:06 AM
Beautiful bowl, Leo. The walnut ring gives it a nice "lift" - almost as though it was suspended in air.

Jim Kountz
02-08-2009, 9:03 AM
Nice idea with adding the walnut ring, looks fantastic Leo!!

Paul Douglass
02-08-2009, 10:56 AM
All the above. That is a beauty. I think the grain looks like a planet with a section cut out so you can see the core. Sure a pretty piece.

How did you get the oblong handles? Sand then that shape after turned.

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Great looking bowl Leo. Really like that foot and rim treatment.

Keith Burns
02-08-2009, 5:31 PM
Another nice bowl Leo. Nice touch with the handle.

Ken Glass
02-08-2009, 6:02 PM
Leo,
Nice looking bowl and I really like the handles. Very functional. Great work.

Craig Powers
02-08-2009, 6:41 PM
Can someone explain how to turn it oval in the handle area?
Thanks.
BTW, another beautiful job Leo. I've become accustomed to expecting great things when I see that smiley face when the forum page opens.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-09-2009, 5:41 PM
Leo, again a beautiful bowl love the shape and grain, that is a clever idea to put that ring on the foot......again great job....BTW on pit 2 the grain looks like an eyeball

Hi David Thank you, yes saw that :), I was almost going to call it "Looking at you" :D

Leo,

Another excellent example of your work. Good job!

Thank you Gary :D

Beautiful piece Leo. Love the color, form and finish. Haven't done the beeswax in awhile. Guess I better get back to it. Maybe I can come close to your soft luster..With that hefty rim even my old hands should be able to hang onto it. I like the walnut ring. A good "save" versus a small foot...Bill...

Thank you Bill, yes I know what you're saying Bill, same here ;), HMmnn yes a perfect cover-up :D

Great looking bowl Leo! Love the wood! Also love the oval shape of the handle - functional as well as aesthetically pleasing! Thanks for showing us that by using a ring over a small tenon we don't have to lose form to gain stability. Great tip!

Thank You Steve :D, this is the part where experience helps to lessen the screw-ups I think :eek: :rolleyes:

Beautiful bowl, Leo. The walnut ring gives it a nice "lift" - almost as though it was suspended in air.

Thanks for your comment Clarence :-))

Nice idea with adding the walnut ring, looks fantastic Leo!!

Hi Jim, yes it was almost perfect, close counts here ;-))

All the above. That is a beauty. I think the grain looks like a planet with a section cut out so you can see the core. Sure a pretty piece.

How did you get the oblong handles? Sand then that shape after turned.

Hi Paul, thanks for commenting, the bowl dries into an oval Paul, so you then turn a round bowl and leave the oval to use as handles :-)

Great looking bowl Leo. Really like that foot and rim treatment.

Thanks Bernie, yes one way to fix an almost Oops ;-))

Another nice bowl Leo. Nice touch with the handle.

Thank you Keith :)

Leo,
Nice looking bowl and I really like the handles. Very functional. Great work.

Hi Ken. thanks, yes it works :D

Can someone explain how to turn it oval in the handle area?
Thanks.
BTW, another beautiful job Leo. I've become accustomed to expecting great things when I see that smiley face when the forum page opens.

Thank you Craig, turn it round let it dry into an oval is the easy way to get it oval, then you turn the bowl round but for the handles :-))