PDA

View Full Version : Jet Band Saw

Norman Comeaux
02-07-2009, 9:16 PM
I am a new member and was wondering if anyone has a Jet Band saw model JWBS-14DX PRO 14" Deluxe. I am considering purchasing one any good or bad news about this saw will help me in making the right decision. Really enjoy this site.

george wilson
02-07-2009, 9:33 PM
I hate Jet service,and service is important. Grizzly gives better service. Usually out of round wheels are the most problem,but the wheels can also be out of vertical alignment,causing tracking problems,and problems with the guides. This applies to all imports. Castings can be too thin,at least on larger models. GAVE AWAY an 18" Jet once. VERY flexible frame.

I wouldn't buy a saw I couldn't test run,and check for the problems I mentioned. If the blade won't run near the centers of the wheels,thay's because they don't align. If the head bobs up and down,that's out of round wheels. Vibration? Same thing. That's the head bobbing rapidly.

Jim Becker
02-07-2009, 10:55 PM
I can appreciate that you had a bad experience with that old Jet 18" saw, George (the first one was a dog if that's what you had), but in fairness, my entire shop was Jet prior to my investment in MiniMax and every tool was exemplary in quality. I still have and use the drill press and mortiser. The one time I did call customer service/parts, I was taken care of promptly and shipped what I wanted at no cost--a second wrench for the cabinet saw. I had the 14" CS band saw prior to my MM16 and it was a good machine. I did buy my Jet tools locally, but they were never tested until they were unpacked in my shop. It would be the same situation with Grizzly on that point.

John Hedges
02-07-2009, 11:41 PM
I have to second that. I have a number of Jet tools, and have always found their customer service to be outstanding. Every bit as good or better than Grizzly IMO.

Norman Comeaux
02-08-2009, 8:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I need to try to find a 14 DXPro and try it.

Norman

Joe Dowdy
02-08-2009, 9:24 PM
I was at the local Woodcraft store yesterday and a guy came in after owning his for 2 week and said his was smoking really bad and all woodcraft said was contact jet. He stated he set up everything twice and checked everything and had no idea what was going on. Keep in mind I have no experiance with jet and any smoking issues I would think would be easy to find the source on a bandsaw.

Carlos Alden
02-08-2009, 9:46 PM
Norman:

If that is the standard DX saw and NOT the newer 14" with the resaw capacity built in, I have it. I have no problems with it. Done some resawing with a riser block and bigger blade.

Carlos

Jim Kountz
02-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I have both Jet and Grizzly equipment and would recommend both in a minute. That being said when I fire up my jet tools they just seem to be a little smoother, cranks turn a little easier and feel better in the hand. Adjustments are simpler and small things you notice like screws and bolts are better and not the cheap breaking type. My grizz jointer and bandsaw are fine and they both perfom extremely well but I like my Jet stuff better.

george wilson
02-08-2009, 10:44 PM
I had bought the Jet 18" bandsaw maybe 10 years ago. Unless it was firmly shimmed up on all 4 corners,you could easily hand press the top housing out of alignment. Very strange.

It all depends upon what you consider exemplary,I guess.

I bought it because I thought our nice 1950's Delta was too large to put where I wanted to move it to. I soon gave the saw to the Millwork Shop next door,and moved the Delta. It was a bit snug,but NO comparison in rigidity,smoothness,and the cutting accuracy I could get with it. I am slowly refinishing the same model Delta for my home shop. It got painted with a barn brush. When it warms up again,I'll take it back outside and finish spraying it.

Alfred Hoffmann
02-10-2009, 8:59 AM
I bought a JWBS-14DX PRO 14" Deluxe about a year ago from Woodcraft and love it. It came with a movable base and fence attachment. I also bought the riser block but have not installed yet. The set up out of the box was easy and I had no problem with any alignment issues. Let us know what you finally bought.:)

Don Orr
02-10-2009, 12:15 PM
I was at the local Woodcraft store yesterday and a guy came in after owning his for 2 week and said his was smoking really bad and all woodcraft said was contact jet. He stated he set up everything twice and checked everything and had no idea what was going on. Keep in mind I have no experiance with jet and any smoking issues I would think would be easy to find the source on a bandsaw.

He may have the blade on backwards:(. It happens.

Norman Comeaux
02-11-2009, 8:20 PM
That is the DX Pro 14" Deluxe. the big resaw model.

Norman Comeaux
02-11-2009, 8:30 PM
Alfred

The saw I am looking at does not require a block for resaw capabilities. It resaws 13" and only uses one blade, 100+ inches. My concern is how much extra wear and tear would I put on this saw blade guide because the majority of my sawing would be on the lower side. I was wondering if the blade guide would hold up under these conditions.

guy knight
02-11-2009, 9:46 PM
i have had excellent experience with jet cs and they build a better quality tool the grizzly does and yes i own grizz and pm and mm like somebody else said grizz bolts break easy and there quality control is not up to the others i have mentioned

Kyle Tucker
02-12-2009, 12:24 AM
I have this bandsaw and have been pleased with it, with one exception: I recently purchased the ball bearing guides ($125 Amazon.com) because for whatever reason I have been experiencing some deflection issues. This will/should solve the problem. I also purchased the riser block and a mobile base when I bought it. The only other thing I can suggest is to buy a work light so you can better see your cut lines (unless your shop is very well lit). Since you are in the market for a new saw I would at least take a look at the Steel City Granite top model bandsaw. It includes the ball bearing guides, a mobile base, fence, etc. and has a couple of slick features. I think there is some pretty good deals to be had on these right now, so maybe that will help your decision. Good luck!

Kurt Loup
02-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I need to try to find a 14 DXPro and try it.

Norman

Norman,

PMC Machinery in Hammond,LA has a lot of machines in their showroom if you want to go check out a few saws. I'd call to see if they have what you are looking for before making the drive though.

Kurt