PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen Saw Stains -- from Lie-Nielsen Leather Covers

Charles E. Goldblum
07-04-2004, 9:09 PM
Has anyone else had this experience....

About a week ago I received Lie-Nielsen leather covers for my rip and crosscut saws. I intended to store the saws in the covers to protect them.

This afternoon, I removed my formerly pristine saws from the covers, and both saws were horribly stained? These stains are not readily removed. I tried oil and 0000 steel wool, but nothing more harsh.

The saws look like they aged 20 years.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Charles

Steve Wargo
07-04-2004, 11:52 PM
If so then I see no problem.

Charles E. Goldblum
07-05-2004, 12:28 AM
...I am concerned that a chemical in the leather (tanning?) is reacting with the metal of the saw.

Martin Shupe
07-05-2004, 3:33 AM
Call Tom L-N asap on Monday or Tuesday and explain this to him.

He should either (1) have a solution for you, or (2) refund your money and replace the saws. Just my opinion, not speaking for Tom.

I am afraid to put anything steel inside a leather case. I have seen the results of long term storage in leather knife sheaths. Unless you oil on a regular basis, the moisture in the air tends to be held against the steel by the leather, leading to discoloration, and worse, rust.

Charles E. Goldblum
07-05-2004, 9:04 AM
I called Lie-Nielsen this morning -- they were great as usual. I'm shipping the saws and the cases back. They will replace everything and try to track down the cause.

Thanks.

Charles

Fred Krow
07-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Leather is made with two basic processes, Chrome Tanned (acid based) and Vegetable Tanned. The most common and least expensive is the Chrome Tanned.

Makers of knife sheaths and gun holsters are very cautious to be certain and use the Veg. Tanned product. I store all of my knives outside of the sheath as it will host moisture or any contamination on the steel.

The Chrome Tanned will quickly cause stains and rust on carbon steel.

Regards,
Fred Krow