PDA

View Full Version : Happy day!

Jonathan Spool
02-07-2009, 8:22 PM
I took delivery of my new Grizzly 12" Jointer G0609X yesterday, and set it up in the basement shop today. Wasn't as bad as I expected after hearing all the stories on how hard it was to move one of these. My friend and I just lifted one end at a time onto a good dolly, and wheeled it down into the shop.

Whatever coating Grizzly is using now came off very easily, and it was pretty much only on the surfaces that aren't powder coated. Nice.

On this forum, I heard about issues of the fence rifing on and scratching the cast outfeed table. So, I took a fine sharpening file and honed off all the poweder coat, and a little more, from the bottom edge of the whole fence. The fenc still rode on the table, so I cut a 1.5" by 5/16" piece of UMHW tape and stuck it on the far left bottom of the fence. Vola! Just like a Powermatic!

Checked the table adjustments, tweeaked the outfeed height a bit, set the infeed to 1/16" and fired it up. This thing is quieter than my old 6"er!
Didn't pass the nickel test though. I think that after I change the belts out and make sure the base is sitting flat, she'll smooth right out.

Ran some old stuff through to catch any grease that was left on the head, and then tried some quilted maple. Woh baby, I thinks I'm in love!
The only thing I can't figure out is why I waited so long to get this!

Thanks to everyone who helped me make this decision to buy the G0609X, either directly or indirectly, and thanks John for the details for the mobile base. The jointer arrived so quickly I didn't have time to build it yet.

Gotta go and turn some more wood into lumber!

Jonathan

Dewey Torres
02-08-2009, 1:22 AM
John,
Don't you know the rules??? ah hmmm!!!! Pics Please!

Paul Greathouse
02-08-2009, 2:19 AM
Like Dewey said, pictures please.

Your first impressions are correct, the more you use it the more your going to love it. I took delivery of mine last month. Glad I didn't have to bring mine down to a basement. My nieghbor brought mine into my shop strapped to the frontend loader bucket of his tractor and set in place for me.

Oh, and I already posted pictures of mine, check them out if you get time.

Jonathan Spool
02-08-2009, 9:35 PM
Sorry! I'm more adept with wood than I am with digital things. I'll have to figure out how to resize pictures and post them here. My bad!
Jonathan

John Bush
02-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Yahoooo!!
Let me know if you need help with the base. John.