PDA

View Full Version : Help to rebuild my PM 66...

Brian Norton
02-07-2009, 6:21 PM
When I got my 78' Powermatic 66 table saw it was already disassembled. I got the motor rebuilt, new magnetic switch, and got the surface rust off everything. I installed the Trunnion back on the 2 slides. Now I replaced the 3 belts and bolted on the motor . The belts are not super tight but how much tension do I need? The motor is fixed on one bolt but then I have adjustable slide on the other bolt. Do I let it sit unbolted for a day or two and let gravity do its work? Once that is done I think it is time to shut the hood and Drive? Anything else I am forgetting? There really isn't any adjustments on except for a right angle cut?

David Christopher
02-07-2009, 8:08 PM
Brian, let the weight of the motor tension the belts. later after you use the saw you will be able to determine if they need to be tighter...before you start cutting to much you will want allign the miter slots with the blade and then allign the fence........double check tightness of all bolts and nuts before sawing for the first time ( dont want any injurys ) good luck and happy sawing

Brian Norton
02-14-2009, 11:50 PM
SMC is very helpful. What a great sight to be a part of.

David Christopher
02-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Brian, did you get your saw assembled and tuned in??hope so.

Chris Rosenberger
02-15-2009, 8:56 AM
There is also an adjustable 45 degree stop on the saw.

Brian Norton
04-03-2009, 8:28 AM
The saw is running....I am having a problem to getting the blade alligned to the Miter. It likes to be about 25 thousandths off!!... I get it to 7 thousandths and after a couple runs bank were I started so that is gettin' old quick. Now for the outfeed table..

Paul Murphy
04-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Brian, I tried to think of all that could possibly cause this. Here is a list of things to check:

1) Are the 4 bolts holding the trunion to the cabinet tight?
2) Are the 3 bolts holding the table to the cabinet tight? (These are the bolts to use when aligning the miter slot to the blade)
3) Are the arbor bearings good? (I had to replace mine, and also my old spring washer didn’t properly take up the play between the bearings and the center bearing spacer, so I also had side play. Made adjustment confusing until I tracked it down.)
4) Is the setscrew that holds the arbor bearing spacer tight? If this is not tight the arbor assembly can shift sideways. I have heard of this a few times.
5) Is the setscrew to locate the saw arm position tight?
6) Are results from your measuring equipment and method repeatable? If not they may be introducing error.

Let us know what you find, and good luck!