PDA

View Full Version : Ash HF with some sort of staining

Bill Bolen
02-07-2009, 5:12 PM
Ash HF 9X6 with 2 coats of DO. Can’t decide if I should just buff it out and leave it alone or maybe a coat of Satin Poly? I don’t think a high gloss finish would fit this piece well. What do you folks think? I’ve not seen Ash with this dark tan coloring so predominate in the wood. I usually see just small patches of color. Any idea’s where this coloring comes from? Kind of reminds me of spalting without the dark inky lines….Bill..

Jim Becker
02-07-2009, 5:20 PM
I like that a lot, Bill. Wonderful character and an excellent form.

Steve Schlumpf
02-07-2009, 5:22 PM
Very nice HF Bill! Great form! No idea about the coloring but it sure is pretty! As for a finish - looks great just the way it is! Nice work!

Dave Bureau
02-07-2009, 5:32 PM
Make it shine baby!!!

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2009, 5:40 PM
Bill another beauty. Myself I would add one more coat DO and leave it. Great color. I have not seen ash that color either.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-07-2009, 5:53 PM
Another nice HF Bill, I find that any larger White Ash has the coloration, and would find it very unusual if it didn't, I have had one log that was very white, and was about 10 to 12 inches D and had grown fast that was without any darkening.
It is not a spalting, it is more like normal heartwood staining that doesn't stain equally, just look at a couple of pictures I include, you can see the stain going off to the side and sometimes not.
Anyway I think polishing will look better, if you don't like it you can rough it up with sandpaper quite easily :D

Jim Kountz
02-07-2009, 7:15 PM
Love the form Bill, another fine job!! How bout another coat and kind of shoot for a semi gloss finish, not real shiney but enough to cast a small glare??

Richard Madison
02-07-2009, 7:26 PM
Beautiful shape Bill. Agree with Bernie and Jim, could use a little more "flash" but maybe not a full, high gloss finish.

David Christopher
02-07-2009, 7:34 PM
Bill that HF is beautiful, I think I would polish it and see what it would like

Bill Bolen
02-07-2009, 8:10 PM
Leo,, thanks my friend,,,heart wood staining it is. Looks just like the big blanks in your pic..OK folks, another coat of oil and a buffing we shall go...Bill...

Gary Kvasnicka
02-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Excellent HF, I can't wait to see it post buff.

alex carey
02-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Thats some great work. I'd leave it natural. I'm not into high polishes.

Dewey Torres
02-08-2009, 1:02 AM
Go with the high gloss (my vote)!