PDA

View Full Version : Baton Rouge

Carl Eyman
07-04-2004, 5:03 PM
Does anyone know of a hardwood lumber yard in or around Baton Rouge LA? I went to Riverside in New Orleans Thursday and their selection of walnut was awful. Paxton's has gone out of business and Hogan who has taken over doesn't sell retail. I found a listing for "Hardwood Lumber Co. in BR, but will have to wait til Tuesday to call. Any help will be appreciated.

Kevin Arceneaux
07-04-2004, 5:37 PM
I buy from Hogan in Lafayette all the time. I don't understand why they would stop in BR. You also have another off airline by !-12. They are the same outfit as C&S here in Lafayette.

Bobby McCarley
07-08-2004, 4:22 PM
Hello Carl,
Did you have any luck with the list I sent you?

Bobby McCarley

Carl Eyman
07-08-2004, 5:14 PM
Service Lumber just got a walnut shipment in yesterday afternoon. I was able to pick up what I needed at a good price, good quality, and a reasonably conveinent location. I am indebted to you. What a useful tool this forum is. I'd have been hunting around mail order and spending a fortune on freight if I had not been lucky enough to get your advice. Thanks go, too, to Lynn who was nice enough to drive me there in his truck. Oh yes, also to the weatherman who didn't rain on the lumber too much.

Carl Eyman
07-08-2004, 5:22 PM
The one off Airline near I 12 was where I finally went. They had some nice stuff.

Joseph N. Myers
07-08-2004, 5:47 PM
Buying wood locally is usually better than buying remotely. And the price of shipping is going up because of the gas situation.

During your research, did you check out Steve Wall Lumber, www.walllumber.com (http://www.walllumber.com/), Mayodan, NC, 800-633-4062. There have been some SMC members that have had good luck with them.

Regards, Joe

Pete Rosenbohm
07-09-2004, 3:07 PM
Carl i just bought 100 ft. of soft maple from Hogans in N. O. last week. Had no problems buying retail.:) By the way Carl what do you have in mind with you mahogany, another table??:)

Carl Eyman
07-09-2004, 5:29 PM
They told me on the 'phone as I was driving by the door that they were wholesale only. But I'll tell you, that it is almost exactly the same distange to Service Lumber as it is to Hogan's in NO East, and when they were Paxton I had nothing but trouble there; so I think I'll think twice before I go any place else for a while.