PDA

View Full Version : Bedside table

Bob Childress
02-07-2009, 4:50 PM
This is the first of a matching (theoretically http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/standard/rolleyes.gif ) pair of bedside tables for our BR.

The table dimensions are approx. 27" wide, 27" tall, and 17" front to back. The timber is white oak (table top, frames and panels, bottom shelf) and cherry (legs, draw front). Drawer box is poplar heartwood. Legs are 1.75" square. Top is 1"thick. All other 3/4".

Construction is all solid timber. Loose tenon joints. The side and back panels float. Drawer is mounted on a center mount underslide, so no hardware shows. Haven't decided on a drawer pull yet. May leave it off as there is a small lip at the drawer bottom for a fingerhold.

Finish is a 1# cut shellac seal coat and several coats of sprayed NC lacquer. The cherry will, of course, darken more over time (and you can see that the legs were milled long before the drawer front http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/standard/biggrin.gif ).

Thanks for looking.

John Keeton
02-07-2009, 5:05 PM
Good job! I admire your ability to do two - back to back. I built a couple of nightstands and knew if I didn't do both at the same time, the second one would never get done!!

Over time, the contrast between the cherry and oak will look even better.

Lee Schierer
02-07-2009, 5:38 PM
Nice job. I would have made both at the same time as the second cut is much faster than setting everything up. Can't wait to see #2.

Bob Childress
02-07-2009, 6:00 PM
Nice job. I would have made both at the same time as the second cut is much faster than setting everything up. Can't wait to see #2.

My confession. All the pieces for the second one were milled at the same time and are waiting. ;) Just need a few mortises and some glue. :D

Craig T. Smith
02-07-2009, 6:16 PM
Bob, Very nice job. Really like the contrast of the 2 woods, Happy Wood working, Craig

gary Zimmel
02-07-2009, 6:39 PM
Good move machining the parts for the second one Bob.
Will save a ton of time.

The pair are going to look great in the room.
After that second one is together. It will be time for the head board and a dresser.....
Thanks for the post.

Dewey Torres
02-08-2009, 1:24 AM
Judging from your tag line you must have measured 4 times!

Great job.

Bob Childress
02-08-2009, 9:11 AM
After that second one is together. It will be time for the head board and a dresser.....
Thanks for the post.

You must have been talking to LOML. :D:D