PDA

View Full Version : Flocking Questions

Jess Wetherhold
02-07-2009, 2:44 PM
I am looking to use flocking on some "boxes." I am only using it on the inside, not the lids. Having never touched the stuff could anyone recommend a supplier and technique?
I know that I have a choice between rayon and nylon (more color choices with rayon) and apparently I will need to paint the surface to be flocked. Or do you use glue? Do I need an applicator of some sort?
I wish these were the simple lidded boxes that you could just paint, throw the stuff in and shake around but as usual I had to complicate things.
Thanks in advance
Jess
Oh, here is an example without a base. As you can see I have 5 areas to flock without leaving a mess.

Dewey Torres
02-07-2009, 2:50 PM
Jess,
Ed Salle does his boxes with the stuff and it is very easy to use just follow the instructions. If you sent Ed a PM I am sure he would help you out and share hi "lessons learned".

Jess Wetherhold
02-07-2009, 3:07 PM
Thanks Dewey

Steve Mawson
02-07-2009, 6:28 PM
Last summer I made a jewelry armoire and used the flocking on all the drawers. It is actually quite tough and holds up well. You have to use the paint of the same color as the flocking. I used masking tape to mask off the areas that I did not want to flock. On the drawers I painted, then put on the flocking, covered with cardboard and shook for all I was worth, then dumped out the extra to use on the next. You must let it dry at least overnight for the paint to harden. Mine came from Rockler however I later learned you can buy direct from the manufacturer, has a web site, might have been a little less expensive.

I would think you could paint the cups, put on the flocking and used the top to cover and do the shaking. Or they make a little applicator that works well also.

Good luck,

Jess Wetherhold
02-07-2009, 7:09 PM
I am a bit concerned about the thickness of the flocking. The lids have very little play but I want them to fit when I am finished. I suppose the safe route would be to tape off a little of the inside but that seems like a chore not to mention it may look funny.
Another option that i found was that they sell flocking material with a self adhesive back. Thoughts as to how that would look in the bottoms?

Wally Wenzel
02-07-2009, 7:26 PM
Hey Jess. I use flocking on the small boxes i make, it is the best and the simpleest way to finnish them off. They have one they call soft flock that i use ,just go to www.donjer.com (http://www.donjer.com) and get their inf. For just a few bucks you

can get started with enough stuff to do a large number of boxes
Wally

Brodie Brickey
02-07-2009, 9:49 PM
Can someone post a picture of a 'flocked' box. I'm having bad images of Christmas Trees and 1970s Acoustic Ceiling that just aren't meshing well with a woodturning. :o Now, my Dad used to say "let's make like a bunch of geese and get the flock out of here", but I don't think that's it either. :p

Dewey Torres
02-08-2009, 1:13 AM
Brodie,
Here is Ed as posted above doing some flocking. A 20 sec video then scroll down and see the fished box! Ed is doing the flocking for our SMC collaborative build.

http://waxingmoonwood.ning.com/video/flocking-a-box

Reed Gray
02-08-2009, 1:42 AM
We had a demo at our club some years back, and the demonstrator was showing how to flock boxes. He commented that his boxes really started selling well after he flocked them. Well, I got all the supplies, and started doing it. The first person in my booth to buy boxes wanted one without the flocking. Go figure. I don't flock them any more. With the carbide disc cutters, it is really easy to get a surface that needs little or no sanding.
robo hippy

Steve Mawson
02-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Brodie,
Here is Ed as posted above doing some flocking. A 20 sec video then scroll down and see the fished box! Ed is doing the flocking for our SMC collaborative build.

http://waxingmoonwood.ning.com/video/flocking-a-box

Yep, that's the way I did it. Not sure about the fit of the lid after flocking. This stuff is not very thick.

Jess Wetherhold
02-08-2009, 7:25 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the advise, links, etc... The only reason I need the flocking is to "cover" the holes that the center of my forstner bit created.
I should be all good now.