PDA

View Full Version : anyone use vaccuum clamping?

abram godshall
02-07-2009, 1:15 PM
I recently bought off of Craigslist a Quality Vak Vak-Matic VM15, a 20mil 4+' X 8+' poly bag and 4' x 8' MDF grooved platen. Mini gloat ($350) for the lot (plus tubing and 3 sample veneer books). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone uses such a system for clamping. This model has a switch for 'vac clamp' or'bag'. What compressor should be used with this? What clamps do you have? Did you make your own (how)? or did you buy them (from who)? Does it work well and does it save time?

Thank you in advance,
Abram Godshall

Jamie Buxton
02-07-2009, 7:50 PM
QualityVak's web site (http://www.qualityvak.com/venturi.html#vm) says that you need a 5-10 hp compressor. That's a big one. If you don't already have a compressor that big, you might well abandon that venturi vacuum-generator, and get a real vacuum pump. You can buy a 5 cfm pump from Joe Woodworker for $300 or so. http://www.joewoodworker.com/index.html

Kevin Groenke
02-07-2009, 8:23 PM
The venturi systems use A LOT of air, unless you've got a big compressor, I'll second the suggestion to look into building/buying a vac pump based system. Pumps can be found in on-line and b&m auctions, industrial surplus places, surpluscenter.com and all sorts of other places.

We've been doing a lot of bagging of gluelams, topographic site models, veneered and ply panels. I made a vac pump based bagging system based on joe woodworkers plans and kit. Pretty simple and much more affordable than the off-the-shelf systems. We've got a few pumps, I think the one in the bagging system is ~4cfm. Lately I've made a number of vacuum router templates, just a few days ago I made ~20 pushblocks in less than an hour. For templating I just use a vac pump with a foot activated switch, it's kind fun and everybody digs it.

The vac clamps we have are mostly for holding down flat panels. A simple board or puck with vac tape on both sides will hold down panels for routing, carving, sanding, etc at the flip of a switch.

It seems we discover a new use for vacuum fixtures every week.

-kg

george wilson
02-07-2009, 9:02 PM
Here's maybe a stupid idea: What about those vacuum storage bags they sell on T.V.? They have a valve,and really squeeze down a big pile of clothes pretty thin. I wonder if they wouldn't be o.k. for wood. After all,there is only 14.7 # air per sq.in.,If you evacuate the air,as they seem to do pretty well,why not? Someone shoot me down.