PDA

View Full Version : About name tags?

James Stokes
02-07-2009, 11:21 AM
The local stores around that have store fronts Sell Name tags for $5.95, I understand they are a store front and need to get people through those doors. I guess I am shooting my self in the foot, But I refuse to do a onesie project for less than my shop minimum of $15,00 What are others thoughts on this?

Paul Perkinson
02-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Same here basically. There are always caveats, but that's our rule as well. If we do it for less than our shop minimum (very rarely) it is because it is our idea, not because we cave in to a customer. There are times your heart tells you it's the right thing to do because of the situation and times your greed tells you it's the right thing to do because you think there's a good chance of getting a lot more down the road. But if a customer thinks they were able to talk you into it, the cost to you will be a lot more in the long run, even if it's just the cost of aggravation.

Phil Salvati
02-07-2009, 12:15 PM
I agree too! Name tags are a quicky to make if they don't want a logo you have to draw.

We have a minimum of $15.00 as well... $20.00 if you watch and $25 if you help! It costs me more in time and stress getting my frame of mind back into what I was doing prior to making that quick $15.00 on name tag. But it's part of a days business.

The only exception to the rule is cell phones. We charge $10.00 for your name. We do quite a few too.

Phil

Rodne Gold
02-07-2009, 1:27 PM
I don't think in this financial environment one can afford to be too picky but thats beside the point..

The thing is ..at that price they entice - and maybe the enticed customer is a multiple order ?
So if you can still break even at $5.95 , maybe its worth it to do onesies and be renowned for exceptional service at a decent price ...compete with em.
We do tons of badges and charge $7 for a HIGH quality magnetic brass backed badged , domed with full colour ...on a onesie-10 basis
$5 for 10+ etc - and we still make money.
I can assure you that most of our orders arent onesies. We view the oneises as advertising or good PR. In these hard times we actually increase our service levels and go out of our way to accomodate even the smallest guy , we want the market share and customer loyalty and good pr that comes with it...so we have to cut our profits a bit - better than being idle.
It's a different story if you the only guy in town or are so busy you can afford to turn customers away and pick an choose the most profitable jobs

bob pfohler
02-07-2009, 1:28 PM
I'll do a onesie for a repeat or a very very good customer. Besides we don't really market our stuff to anyone but commercial locations.

Martin Boekers
02-07-2009, 2:18 PM
If you get them in to buy nametags, onesies to start. With a bit of salesmenship then chances are good you are building a foundation for higher profit jobs.

I run the shop on an Air Force base. I have "developed" a great portion of those nametag clients into award and recognition clients.

Just this last year a local group that wasn't happy with "intown" service started buying nametags. First it was 5 that they needed in a hurry, next order 10, the one after that 50. They even did the lay out and emailed me that!

Yesterday I just finished up with their first award package just under $1000.00. I have had many stories just like that.

It may be just a thousand now but that will be repeated every year, then multiply that by 5, 10 or more clients and the profits can be substantial!

Be careful who you send away.

Marty

Bill Cunningham
02-07-2009, 10:35 PM
If they have 'good' black and white artwork, or gadzooks! a vector image, I have no problem.. My basic badge price is $5.00 (incl. one line) + $2.00 for logo (as above or a repeat) +$2.00 for additional lines, and replace the pin for a magnet.. If a common tagline is on all the badges in a lot, then that becomes part of the logo.. But logo badges usually have a minimum of 12 if only so-so art is supplied..

Mike Null
02-08-2009, 7:41 AM
A substantial part of my business is name tags and I wholesale them at prices less than are being talked about. I can easily get 77 $3.00 1x3" name tags from a quarter sheet of material. With pins my material cost is under 20 cents.

It takes about 30 seconds for engraving and cutting, set up may take 1 minute each or less.

I don't have a business category with more repeat customers than name tags.

My most expensive name tag is $12 and I sell very few.

James Rambo
02-08-2009, 12:35 PM
We don't do a large number of name badges. We do around 150 a year but, it is for only two local clubs. We usually get the order for 2, 3 or 4 (by E-mail) at a time. We charge them $7.50 and $8.00 each. We had to redesigned the logo for an extra badge they loaned us.
That brings up a question if they go to another company to get these badges and they ask for the design would we (or should we) give the logo to them. They did not pay us for the design setup?

Rodne Gold
02-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Sure , give em the logo..convert it to a very low definition JPEG and mail it to em.. feign confusion if they call and ask you for it in vector format...senf it to em again in even WORSE definition..........
Best to be a "nice" guy.... :)

Mike Null
02-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Right on Rodney!