PDA

View Full Version : sealer

Kevin C. Johnson
02-07-2009, 9:03 AM
good morning,
I'm a new turner and have made a oak spoon what do I seal it with?
thank you for your input!

Joe Chritz
02-07-2009, 10:08 AM
That is sorta like asking what kind of shoes to buy. If you are running it is one thing but something else for going to court.

A traditional sealer for all kinds of products is dewaxed shellac. It sticks to everything and everything sticks to it. It is also a good idea under waterbase finishes on oak because of PH differences between them.

A finish that will be used may be just mineral oil or it could be a thinned varnish. Let us know what it will be used for or how and you will get a much more precise answer.

Post a picture, everyone loves pictures.

Joe

Terry Quiram
02-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Kevin

I assume you are planning to use it for cooking. If that is the case then soak it in mineral oil. You can reapply when needed. If you are making it for display then any of the penetrating oil finishes will work.

Terry

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Depends on what it is for. I agree with Terry I use Mike Mahoney's walnut oil or mineral oil if used for cooking. I use Minwax Antique oil or General Finishes Seal-A-Cell followed by Arm-R-Seal on salad bowl sets of forks and spoons. I got to meet Ernie Conover a couple of years ago and he uses nothing but Antique oil on his untility items and when I talked with Richard Raffan at Richmond he uses mineral oil. So you are going to get many answers.

Steve Mawson
02-07-2009, 11:34 AM
I made a maple spoon over Christmas. Put veg oil over it pretty thick and is holding good for now. We never put it in the dish washer. Know will have to recoat regularly but seem to work fine. Another opinion

Allen Neighbors
02-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Some Vegetable Oils will go rancid, after a while. On most utility items, I don't use anything, but have been known to use a hardening oil (can't remember the word for it), and/or a lacquer wash. Sometimes I use Parrafin/Mineral Oil mix. Any finish nowadays is supposed to be 'food safe' when cured.

robert hainstock
02-07-2009, 12:22 PM
I assume that is what you are asking. According to Bob Flexnor in the April 2008 AAW publication, and his book "understanding wood finishes"; any finish that "cures" is safe. Since oil finishes do not cure, but instead dry, I never use them. :)
Bob

Kevin C. Johnson
02-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Well folks thank you for all the idea's and yes I will be using it in food, and it is a gift, so I would like it be as close to maintenance free as possible. I know there is no such thing as "maintenance free" I guess just a good food safe seller.

thanks again.

Kevin

Leo Van Der Loo
02-07-2009, 3:03 PM
If you like some mineral oil or walnut oil added to your soup, soak some into your stirring spoon, it'll ad spice to your concoction :eek: :p :rolleyes:
Else use it as is, and rinse and dry after use :), would be my choice :D