PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what year Delta stopped making 14" bandsaws in the USA

Loren Blount
02-07-2009, 8:51 AM
The reason I ask is I was at a tool store yesterday and they had a "new" (looked like it had been there awhile) Delta 14" 3/4 HP bandsaw that was made in the US for $400. I was just curious if that was a good deal? I didn't really have the $ set aside for a new bandsaw, but if I don't buy it now will I be able to find another USA Delta new again.

Thanks Loren

george wilson
02-07-2009, 9:34 AM
I don't know. Does the Delta have an open sided column with zig-zag braces cast onto it? If so,it probably would be wise to investigate. Dd you read everything on the MOTOR to see if it had a Chinese name? That may help. ABOVE ALL: did its blade guard height adjustment rod have the hexagonal shape (old),or was it round with a flat spot,(new). I don't know really if they made them late in USA with these decadent features,the motor info might be the best clue.

Fred Hargis
02-07-2009, 9:46 AM
I don't know the answer, but I bought mine new in 1992, and it is a USA model. I think it wasn't too much later they moved to an import saw. BTW, mine has a round drop rod on the guard.

Joe Chritz
02-07-2009, 9:55 AM
Not sure but I have one and it is a nice saw. There is a real possibility the unit is produced in the US but the ones replacing it are not so I would check to make sure the ones in the box also have the same markings.

Joe

Loren Blount
02-07-2009, 9:59 AM
What I noticed different between the saws are as follows

1 The motor on the "USA" model set on top the stand, not under the stand like on the "China"
2 The paint on the "USA" was a much darker grey than the "China" model
3 The "USA" model had a sticker on the upper wheel guard that said made with pride in the USA.

I didn't notice the post design of if the motor was made in the USA I will have to go double check, Thanks for the advise

Loren

CPeter James
02-07-2009, 10:25 AM
$400 for a USA made Delta Band Saw seems very low. I paid about $800 for mine about 11 years ago. The fit and finish is a lot better on the USA one and they may have been branded X5. Does it have the quick release tension lever. I think that was standard on the later USA ones.

CPeter

Howard Acheson
02-07-2009, 11:43 AM
If it has the 3/4 HP motor, it's their lower grade saw. They made two models. One had an open frame with the 3/4 HP motor mounted on top of the frame. Their top-of-the-line had an enclosed base with a 1 HP motor inside. Both were made in the USA at the time.

When Delta took their manufacturing to Taiwan, they stopped producing the open frame model.

Sue Wise
02-07-2009, 12:02 PM
I have a USA build one. I think I purchased mine in 97 or 98. I am not at home now, but when I get there, I will take a look and post when I purchased mine.

-Sue

Mike Wellner
02-07-2009, 12:40 PM
I have a 2002 Delta 28-212 one of the last American made ones.
1 hp
Brought used, came with a fence, and upgrading it to carter bearings.

The newer ones are assembled in the US from Chinese cast parts.
I would say around 2004.

Seen one of the newer models and I wasn't very impressed because the milling quality is horrible, the example at Acme Rents in Bemidji, MN has a ground off edge. Not good.

Mark Carlson
02-07-2009, 1:16 PM
I bought mine in 2003 and it has the USA sticker. The next year I saw the china models at a local woodworder show. So, 2004.

~mark

george wilson
02-07-2009, 1:40 PM
Isn't it a little sad when something made in USA has to have the "proudly made in the USA" sticker on it,to show that we actually made something?

Bob Slater
02-07-2009, 1:55 PM
I'd hate to think it is just marketing crap and assembled in the USA with foreign components. I have to laugh (not really) when I see that sticker on a low end bicycle. I get annoyed by fake "Made in The USA" or "Made in Canada" stickers. Another example is Blundstone boots of Australia . (Actually Thailand now) They could just be honest instead of fake labeling . I just bit the bullet and bought some new Boots. I hope they are at least real Thailand Blundstones and not the Chinese knockoff ones. Rant mode off.

I have a 14 inch Delta Metal Wood model, I like it, but it could use some more HP. (1/2 HP model) It is well made though.

Loren Blount
02-07-2009, 2:32 PM
My guess is that is was assembled here from china castings, as I don't believe it could be more than 2 or 3 years old. Thanks for all the help, I now know what to look for in an older used Delta anyway.

Loren

Bruce Wrenn
02-07-2009, 9:14 PM
If it has the 3/4 HP motor, it's their lower grade saw. They made two models. One had an open frame with the 3/4 HP motor mounted on top of the frame. Their top-of-the-line had an enclosed base with a 1 HP motor inside. Both were made in the USA at the time.

When Delta took their manufacturing to Taiwan, they stopped producing the open frame model. I have an open frame Delta 14" BS with a made in USA sticker, but the motor was made in ITALY. Must be a Freud model?

Simon Dupay
02-08-2009, 12:44 AM
I believe the X-5 is still mostly made here, except for the castings.