PDA

View Full Version : Shop built "jointer cabinet?"

Jason White
02-07-2009, 7:46 AM
I have a RIDGID 6" jointer (picture below). It's a little tippy on wheels because the base is so narrow. It actually fell over in the driveway one time as I was wheeling it around. Also the table isn't very long, so stock longer than 8-feet gets a little unwieldy.

Has anybody here ever built their jointer into some type of cabinet on wheels? I have so little floor space anyway that I thought maybe I could incorporate some storage into it. Would also have to allow for adjusting the infeed table up and down, obviously.

Jason

Howard Miller
02-07-2009, 7:56 AM
I have the same jointer and I am going to build a platform with casters. I got this idea from another creek member. Seems stable.

Mike Wilkins
02-08-2009, 11:57 AM
You might want to consider the Shop Fox mobile bases. They will give you a wider stance than the inboard-mounted casters on this machine. I only have one of them, mounted under a 18" bandsaw. The only negative to the SF bases is the number of parts you have to assemble. FWW review of them stated the same thing. Not a real problem with just a little patience.

Tim Null
02-08-2009, 2:27 PM
I have the same joiner as well. I use the HFC mobile base (I think I got the letters right! LOL)

I have had no problems with it tipping. But you might try the Rockler base, the one you make custom with your own lumber for the base.

How/when is yours tipping? During use?

TimN

Tim Null
02-08-2009, 2:33 PM
Sorry, it is HTC from Rockler. HFC does financing...LOL

Jason White
02-08-2009, 5:38 PM
I usually wheel it out into the driveway to use it, so it has to go over a 1-inch bump. The machine's base is narrow, so it wants to tip over front-to-back.

I have the Rockler base where you fabricate your own wooden rails. I don't like it.

Jason

I have the same joiner as well. I use the HFC mobile base (I think I got the letters right! LOL)

I have had no problems with it tipping. But you might try the Rockler base, the one you make custom with your own lumber for the base.

How/when is yours tipping? During use?

TimN