PDA

View Full Version : Putting together some rencent threads.

Anthony Welch
02-07-2009, 4:39 AM
I've been sitting on some Laser Tile for over a year. Selling some individual tiles and making single tile displays for craft shows. Nothing really to brag about.

But seeing Onur Cakir's recent post , some encouragement from Frank Corker and making vignette's, I thought I'd try my hand at doing a couple of murals.

Please tell me what you would have done different or can make them better. If you criticize the trim around the frame(my woood working skills can use some fine tuning), tell me how I can make a better frame.

Thanks!
Anthony

Mike Null
02-07-2009, 6:47 AM
Anthony

The image is quite small. Can you re-save it closer to the original size and save it as a jpeg, then upload it again?

Frank Corker
02-07-2009, 8:50 AM
Anthony's going a bit shy I think and posted thumbnails (I hope he hadn't drinking when he posted them!). Just kidding, I think he's actually teatotal. Anyway these are other works that he's done, they were taken just before mounting and then in a display frame. I'm sure he will post the other two when he can and better ones than these, the ones I have were taken on an angle.

John W. Love
02-07-2009, 2:04 PM
Very nicely done Anthony. Job well done!

onur cakir
02-07-2009, 2:40 PM
Hi Anthony,

Great work you've done ! I wanted to make wooden frames but i didnt have enough time for them. But i'll attend to a trade fair about construction on March and this time i'll make wooden frames too.

Its so so strange that on Bouguereau mural it seems you had same small banding problem like i had on same area !

What about sales ? What are your mural's prices ?

onur cakir
02-07-2009, 3:51 PM
and did u used seam between tiles ? i see some dark lines between tiles. I didnt used any seam between tiles because i think it breaks image's integrity.

Margaret Turco
02-07-2009, 4:57 PM
Hi Anthony, These look great! I've been inspired by the recent posts as well but haven't attempted anything yet. It looks to me like you didn't use grout between the tiles, but left the tabs on and that's creating the spacing. Is that correct? I think the frames make them look finished and my only thought to improve them would be to maybe make the boards a little bit wider. I'm not sure what size tiles you used though, so it might look more proportional in person.

Could you tell us what you mounted them on, and what adhesive you used to mount. Thanks for posting!

Mike Null
02-07-2009, 5:52 PM
Anthony

Very nice work. On the frames, the narrow wood doesn't feature the art well enough. Have you considered using a ceramic border?

Frank Corker
02-07-2009, 9:46 PM
Sorry this is the original photo that Anthony should have posted. I forgot that he emailed it to me.

Margaret Turco
02-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Oooh, nice! Couldn't really see the little ones.

Anthony Welch
02-08-2009, 9:34 AM
Thank you all for your comments and I'll try and answer your questions a best I can.

-Sorry for ths small size photo. Every time I went to attach it it was too big. That was the size I got it to before it would attach. I'll try the jpeg thing next time since Frank has already posted it.

-Two size frames 1-48x30 2-30x24. On top of that I found a cheap fiberglass bathroom sheet that I cut to cover the boards. The trim, which is the most expensive part of making this, narrow because my intention is to sell the tile from the display and not sell the frame.

-The bigger frame is hinged together and pulled apart in an A-frame and set on another board w/casters so it can be moved around easily.

-The tiles themselves are secured with double sided foam tape. So as to get a putty knife behing them and remove. The bigger frames have a removable top molding to accomplish this.

-These are being displayed in a local Tile/Flooring/Furniture store. My intentions are to show what is possible with the tiles and customers make orders depending on what they want. Although they can buy the display itself.

-The photo of the deer shot at an angle is an experiment with store bought glossy tiles. I could not get acrylic paint to work and found shoe polish to work well. But it is a lighter image than what was produced with the Laser Tile. Also I can completely remove the polish with WD-40, so for it standing up to cleaners I am afraid it would wash out.

Thanks
Anthony