PDA

View Full Version : Got one from the lightnin' and two from the wind

Tony Greenway
02-06-2009, 11:11 PM
A late summer storm at my mother-in-laws place created some firewood and turning blanks. The 1st pics is the NE bowl from a black walnut 'root', it measures 3 1/4"T x 11 5/8"W. The 3rd is a simple form bowl from the black walnut trunk, it measures 5 3/8"T x 9"W. The tree was blown completely over flipping all the roots above ground to be washed off by the hard rain. With it being walnut, I loaded up everything bigger then a toothpick. The last pics is a NE bowl measuring 5 3/4"T x 12 1/2"W, made with one of several blanks from a lightnin' struck white oak that had died and began to spalt while still standing. I cut the rest into firewood. They are all finished with DO, with exception to the NE pieces, they have an additional two coats of lacquar. Thanks for looking and as always, your comments are welcome......Tony

Bill Bolen
02-06-2009, 11:17 PM
They are all beautiful but I am a sucker for any Walnut that has a bit of that stark white sapwood. Fine form and finish...Bill...

David Christopher
02-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Tony, these are beautiful.... I guess some storms are a blessing

Ken Fitzgerald
02-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Beauties all Tony! Nicely done sir!

Leo Van Der Loo
02-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Nice work Tony , I really like the center one, very pretty.

Steve Schlumpf
02-07-2009, 12:37 AM
Very nice work on all of these Tony! Great job keeping the bark on! Really like the spalted white oak because it is not something I get to see everyday! Love the grain and the color variations! Keep up the good work!

Barry Stratton
02-07-2009, 9:27 AM
Eggcellent job on these!

I am also a sap for NE bowls, but that "simple form" bowl really caught my eye.

Keep the pictures coming.

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Those are beauties Tony. Love the walnut.

Steve Mawson
02-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Like them all. Never want to wish for a storm but this is great us of trees when it does happen.

Jim Kountz
02-07-2009, 7:20 PM
Nice job, sometimes a storm can be a good thing huh!!

Tony Greenway
02-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I was just thinking that before I was caught in the vortex, downed trees were looked at only for a heating source, being that I buy all the wood used in my cabinet shop ready to rip. Now I look at trees in a totally different way, if I notice a unique feature on one, I catch myself checking to see if it looks like it might fall down soon or need to be taken out, you know, for 'humanitarian reasons'. ;):) Does anyone else out there suffer from this bowl blank seeking disorder? .......Tony

Steve Mawson
02-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Happens to me, have an eye on some dead cedar now.

Tony Greenway
02-08-2009, 2:58 PM
Hey Steve, that's just what I'm talking about. I've been watching a blackjack with a large burl on it that is leaning a little bit toward my uncle's barn for 6 months now. I'm still trying to convince him of the seriousness of that situation.;).....Tony

Ken Glass
02-08-2009, 3:22 PM
Tony,
These are all winners. Great form and finish. Well done!!