PDA

View Full Version : Maloof cradle

Matt Campbell
02-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Has anyone built it? What hardware does he use to make it swing? I was thinking a carriage bolt will work fine. Does anyone thing differently? I'd like to take a shot at it so any guidance is appreciated.

Dewey Torres
02-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Please explain...are you talking about this?

Mike Henderson
02-07-2009, 12:51 AM
I assume you're talking about the swinging cradle he makes (and gets about $45K for) - picture here (http://takwish.smugmug.com/gallery/1620066_7DJiw/1/75253063_xhJ9N#75253063_xhJ9N). One time when I visited Sam, I asked him what he did for the pivot points. If I remember correctly, he told me he puts a brass sleeve in each piece of wood and uses a metal pin between them. The bearing is hidden, meaning that he puts it together when the base is assembled to the swinging cradle. If the bearing ever fails, you'd have to disassemble the base. There's no external sign of the bearing, not a plug, nothing.

I don't know what he does to keep the wood from rubbing together, but I suppose you could put a brass washer between them to space them apart slightly. I didn't ask Sam that - that's my guess.

Of course, that was just one question I asked him so I could be wrong - but I think I remember correctly.

Mike

Larry Edgerton
02-07-2009, 7:57 AM
Sam Maloff is one of my favorites, if not my most favorite. He captures the essence of the tree as well as anyone and I love that there is never really a beginning or and end to his peices, the just seem to flow though time.....

Anyway..... I made one for my daughter/granddaughter and I used shouldered bearings on both sides and made the shaft from old router bits. I only had 5/16 of shaft protruding and pulled the frame apart enough to slip in the crib, and then let the pressure off. I would think that brass would last for ever as well, but I just used what I had.

I want to see it when you are done!

Craig T. Smith
02-07-2009, 8:56 AM
Matt, I've looked at several versions of this type of swivel. Most use a brass or steel bushing and a brass or steel rod. Some even just drill a hole and use a piece of dowel rod. As for the carriage bolt idea. I tried this years ago for a support piece i needed after much use the bolt threads cut the wood and caused binding=bad idea. Just some thoughts, Craig

Bob Johnson2
02-08-2009, 4:40 AM
These would work if the work piece is big enough for the pocket, not as elegant as brass though.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=788

John Bush
02-08-2009, 4:37 PM
I have used UHMW plastic bushings and a brass rod for swinging hinges before. They worked quite well. For comparison to Maloof, this was for a trebuchet built for a High School physics project(the kids team came in 1st!!). It was not quite of museum caliber, but the teacher did keep it as an example for future classes. As long as the cradle isn't for Baby Huey I think they would work well.

Ronald Kellison
02-09-2009, 10:47 AM
I have used UHMW plastic bushings and a brass rod for swinging hinges before. They worked quite well. For comparison to Maloof, this was for a trebuchet built for a High School physics project(the kids team came in 1st!!). It was not quite of museum caliber, but the teacher did keep it as an example for future classes. As long as the cradle isn't for Baby Huey I think they would work well.

I wonder what a Maloof trebuchet would look like? :D

Ron

Greg Sznajdruk
02-09-2009, 3:28 PM
http://shopping.sympatico.msn.ca/specs/swinging-cradle-bearing-kit/itemid6476595/?itemtext=itemname:swinging-cradle-bearing-kit&fulldesc=1

I used these with good result.

Greg