PDA

View Full Version : Which Chuck to buy?

Mark Waltrip
02-06-2009, 9:46 PM
There are so many choices out there for lathe chucks, and since I am new to turning could someone please give me some advice on the applications I will be using it for?

I have a Jet jwl-1236 lathe and I will be turning dowel rods with a maximum diameter of 1 3/4". I also may use the lathe for soft metal work with copper or brass.

What is the most economical chuck to buy for my use?

Thanks for all the help in advance, and sorry for the rookie questions.

Jim Kountz
02-06-2009, 9:57 PM
Why not just turn them between centers using a steb center or even the stock center that came with the lathe?

Mark Waltrip
02-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Why not just turn them between centers using a steb center or even the stock center that came with the lathe?

I'm sorry, but I forgot to specify what I'd be using the chuck for. That's my fault.

On some of the brass and copper stock I will be turning the end and rounding it off using a file or similar tool. Am I making any sense?

The pieces of round stock I will start with will only be around 2" or 3 " long. I will be making my own copper and brass hammers for various projects.

David Christopher
02-06-2009, 11:33 PM
If you are going to be turning mostly metal I would get a hefty chuck. maybe something like a oneway stronghold.... they are expensive but worth it

Richard Madison
02-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Hey Mark,

If it hasn't already been said, WELCOME to the forum. For economy you might consider the $99 Grizzly chuck, but will need a smaller jaw set than the standard ones. For metal work it may not center as well as one of the more expensive chucks, but not sure about this as have never checked mine with steel test piece and dial indicator.

Jim Kountz
02-06-2009, 11:45 PM
I'm sorry, but I forgot to specify what I'd be using the chuck for. That's my fault.

On some of the brass and copper stock I will be turning the end and rounding it off using a file or similar tool. Am I making any sense?

The pieces of round stock I will start with will only be around 2" or 3 " long. I will be making my own copper and brass hammers for various projects.

Ahh now that does change things a bit!! I have a Nova chuck but would like to have something a little bigger. The oneway's are really nice but expensive.

Steve Schlumpf
02-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Mark - I would think that the big thing to look for in a chuck would be the option of picking up some smooth jaws. Most of the chucks come with serrated jaws - which is great for wood but won't hold metal very well. Just my opinion.

David Walser
02-07-2009, 2:00 AM
Mark,

For what you are trying to do, consider the following options:

Collet chuck: For holding metal tubes or rods, a collet chuck is ideal. (Assuming you have a collet the appropriate size for what you want to turn!) The collet should hold your stock securly with little risk of maring. There are two types, those that fit inside the lathe's Morse taper and those that fit inside a chuck that screws onto the lathe's spindle. Here's a link to a page showing several of the types available. Note: There are cheaper sources for Morse taper collets. (I just don't recall them off the top of my head.) http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Chucks___Collet?Args=&page_number=1
Scroll chuck: As has been mentioned, many of the scroll chucks sold to woodturners come with serated jaws. That's not true for the Vicmark chucks (or the Grizzly clone). However, the Vic's jaw are dovetailed. That means they may not work for metal unless your stock is just about the "right" size -- unless you buy a set of the nylon jaws. With nylon jaws, you should be able to hold your metal just fine. Problem? Vic's (and their accessory jaws) are not cheap. (The Grizzly clone with the Vic nylon jaws might be the way to go.) Here'a a link: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Chucks___Vicmarc?Args= Another option is CSUSA's Apprentice chuck. It comes with four sets of jaws, one of them might be just right for what you want to do. (Unfortunately, none of them are nylon.) http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Chucks___Apprentice___Apprentice_Chuck___apprentic e_chuck?Args=

HTH!

John Landis
02-07-2009, 11:16 AM
For metal working, you might also check out the chucks at Enco

http://www.use-enco.com

Mat Ashton
02-08-2009, 12:13 AM

Over the years I've found the chucks designed for wood to be not as accurate as needed or able to grip the metal well enough to satisfy the work I do (I've used both vicmark 100 and a couple oneway strongholds). I've found a cheap three jaw self centering chuck and or a four independent jaw chuck specifically designed for metal work do a much better job and cost a lot less especially if you buy them used.