PDA

View Full Version : Bunk bed - work in progress

Alfred Hoffmann
02-06-2009, 9:32 PM
I just completed all wood work on a bunk bed for my latest set of grand sons.
I shamelessly copied the design of the bed posts from a project Randy Klein completed. I hope Randy don't mind and takes it as a compliment. Since the square opening is 1" I used a 1" dowel pin as the connecting pin between the beds. Since later on there will be a 1" hole I carried the hole through to the top bed ends and closed them off with a mushroom plug.

The wood used for the side rails is 5/4 pine. The rest of the wood is 4/4 pine throughout. I used bed bolts (from Lee Valley) to secure the side rails to the bed posts. From my own experience with my boys I agree with Randy that the bed has to be sturdy enough to survive the antics of the boys.

To make sure the rails are properly aligned with the bed posts I cut the heads off of some 3" long lag bolts and screwed them into the posts.
A groove was routed at the each end of the side rails to receive the lag screw. That proved well during the assembly.

The only thing to do now is to apply a finish coat. I received some good advise from you folks when I asked what is the best finish to apply. I wanted a clear coat. Many of you pointed towards polyurethane. I talked to a fellow at Woodcraft and he recommended a polyacrylic from General Finishes. Does anyone have any experience with a polyacrylic finish?

Would appreciate your critique of the project.

Jim Kountz
02-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Alfred looks great to me, I like how you did the corner posts, pretty slick. One question though, isnt it going to be hard to see the TV now?? LOL

Randy Klein
11-22-2009, 9:33 PM
I shamelessly copied the design of the bed posts from a project Randy Klein completed. I hope Randy don't mind and takes it as a compliment.

Hey I can't believe I haven't seen this post yet. Congrats on the build and it looks like you pulled off the legs perfectly and I don't mind one bit. Just curious how you clamped them up. That was the most daunting part for me until I got some tubing and just wrapped them up.

I like your style change with the flat tops.

Randy Klein
11-22-2009, 9:41 PM
I'm also curious if the spacing on your ladder is working for you? We've just moved and the boys room is smaller now, so it's bunk bed time. I need to build the ladder and wondering about step size and such.