PDA

View Full Version : Saw Stop extension table size. and 3hp instead of 5hp?

Tony Scolaro
02-06-2009, 7:52 PM
I am pulling the trigger on the Saw Stop after much thought, Tueday Pick Up. Unless someone tells me crazy I am going with the 3hp. I have been building solid wood furniture filling orders for Gallery from floor models, knight stands and dresses mostly. We customize them as need. Legs are 8/4 Cherry and African Mahogany. No powerfeed or anything like that. My thinking on the 3hp is I have not needed more than that with my PM 66 although I ripped the 8/4 with the Oliver 232 that I just sold. I have 30 amp recepticals in several location including coming down from above. SS told me 3hp slightly more reliable but splitting hairs on that. The 3hp is in stock, and of course $300 less. If I am making a mistake I do want to hear about it. I know the basic argument for the 5hp is when you are spending so much what is $300 more and better to have and not need than need and not have more power. I do have one 50amp circuit that would cover the 5hp.

I am going to build the side extension table over the week end for a 52" fence could someone tell me the exact size I need to make it. Any other details they recommend like depth of side frame etc. Thanks in Advance. You are the best. You have been much help. Tony

Tom Veatch
02-06-2009, 8:15 PM
A 50 amp circuit is way overkill. The 30amp circuits are more than adequate for the 5HP saw.

Are you crazy for going with the 3HP rather than the 5HP? In my opinion, 3HP is plenty unless you're pushing big stuff through the saw with power feeders for 8+ hours per day.

And as far as the $300 being non-significant when you're talking about the total price of the saw, that may be true if you're spending other people's money. If you're spending your own money, $300 spent unnecessarily is $300 that can't be spent on things (i.e. good blades) that would be much more valuable to you than a 2HP reserve that would rarely be used.

Don L Johnson
02-06-2009, 9:16 PM
I bought my SS system a few months ago. A 30 amp was all that was needed. I bought the 5 hp so I would never have to look back and ask why I didn't. I look at it from a little different perspective. If you are going to spend that much money anyway, why not the extra $300 to ensure no regrets. Good luck with the decision and enjoy the SawStop!!

Mike Gottlieb
02-06-2009, 9:36 PM
Tony, The extension table is 40" long by 30" deep. Hope this helps.

Tony Scolaro
02-06-2009, 9:50 PM
Mike, thanks It does help. Could you tell me, at your convience, from the top of table to bottom of edge what that measurement is. I want to make sure I have enough depth to attach fence rails to. Thanks
Tony

Don Bullock
02-06-2009, 11:17 PM
I bought my SS system a few months ago. A 30 amp was all that was needed. I bought the 5 hp so I would never have to look back and ask why I didn't. I look at it from a little different perspective. If you are going to spend that much money anyway, why not the extra $300 to ensure no regrets. Good luck with the decision and enjoy the SawStop!!

I'm another Don that did exactly the same thing except when I bought my SawStop the 5 hp was $200 more. Perhaps I'll never "need" the extra hp, but since I have it I'll never know. Good luck and enjoy your new saw.

Tony Scolaro
02-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Don, Did you put your 5hp on a 30 amp breaker also? I was concerned that with the start up draw that wasn't enough. I know Powermatic told me 40 amp when I bought a 66. Thanks Tony

Don Bullock
02-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Don, Did you put your 5hp on a 30 amp breaker also? I was concerned that with the start up draw that wasn't enough. I know Powermatic told me 40 amp when I bought a 66. Thanks Tony

Yes, I had my electrician put in a new 30 amp line in my garage. There have been a few posts form those who were using a 5 hp SS on a 20 amp circuit, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Tony Scolaro
02-07-2009, 10:49 AM
20 amp that is a little crazy.

I was worried about using a 30amp with the 5hp. I put a 200amp service in my shop and filled it up with over kill but I have only 1 50 amp and that is basically means a cord across the floor to the saw.

I was wondering if someone could take a measurement a quick measurement of how thick the edge of the extension table option is from the table top level down at the edge . I would like to put some plastic laminate on some mdf but would like to trim the sides out with lumber first. I figure it would be best to match what SS does on their optional extension table. So I don't run into any problems attaching the fence rails. Thanks in advance Tony

Mike Gottlieb
02-07-2009, 9:15 PM
Tony, The extension table edge is 2 and 5/16" from top to bottom. I also have the 5hp motor and mine runs on a 30 amp breaker. Regards, Mike

Don Bullock
02-07-2009, 11:45 PM
20 amp that is a little crazy.

I was worried about using a 30amp with the 5hp. ...Tony

Tony, like I said I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I have seen the information posted by someone else. To get back to your question, 30 amp is plenty for the 5 hp SS.

Dan Lee
02-08-2009, 9:21 AM
FWIW
I wired my 5HP SS with 10AWG and L6-30 connector. But only had a 20 Amp breaker at the time intending on getting a 30A. 2 yrs later I just recently replaced the 20 with a 30A breaker the saw never tripped the 20A in all that time. A while ago a jointer motor on the same circuit was going bad and would trip that 20A.
I have measured the current when ripping 12/4 stock and right around 19-20.

Don Bullock
02-08-2009, 9:36 AM
??? Typo maybe ???

:eek: Thanks Tom. I fixed it.:D