PDA

View Full Version : Another Segmented Paralleloroid

Richard Madison
02-06-2009, 7:07 PM
Third in the “Lost My Marbles” series (and thanks for that name guys.), this one is called “Inner Space”. Seen from space, our planet Earth looks like a blue marble, and there is a blue marble in the “inner space” of this piece to symbolize the Earth. The three walnut spirals which “orbit” the piece represent the fact that Earth is the third planet from the Sun.

The other wood is pecan, according to the neighbor who gifted me with it. The piece is approx. 8” x 9” x 10” high. For the statistically inclined, it is made from six half toroids and four straight sections, contains 1344 segments (plus one blue marble), and took 29 days to make. Some work was done on 26 of those days, varying from a few 6-hour days to several of one hour or less (glue joint, wait, glue joint, wait, etc.). Granted it is technically imperfect in several ways, some more obvious than others. Anyhow I am going to make one piece weed pots for a while. Your comments are welcome as always, and thanks for looking.

charlie knighton
02-06-2009, 7:18 PM
Richard, very nice :D

Robert McGowen
02-06-2009, 7:28 PM
The name is very fitting. :D:D:D

Your work is improving with each piece. Awesome!

Paul Engle
02-06-2009, 7:46 PM
Richard ya got my vote... very well done indeed !!!

Don Carter
02-06-2009, 7:52 PM
WOW! Great job Richard. I don't have the patience or the marbles to do something like that.
Turn a couple of bottle stoppers and take a break. ;)

All the best.

Don

Dave Bureau
02-06-2009, 8:18 PM
very very nice
Dave

curtis rosche
02-06-2009, 8:28 PM
how do you go from something this ammazing to weed pots? so if you shake it it rattles?

Malcolm Tibbetts
02-06-2009, 8:54 PM
Richard, great job! Not many turners are brave enough (or foolish enough) to tackle this type of work. I also find it necessary to work on simplier projects for a while after finishing a major work.

Jim Kountz
02-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Simply amazing Richard, I dont know how you keep all that stuff in your head while making something like this but it sure looks like you got it down!! Very nice!!

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2009, 10:59 PM
That is a amazing piece. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
02-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Very impressive piece Richard! Great design! A lot of folks are going to be scratching their heads over the blue marble thing...... but that is just one more thing that helps make this piece unique! Thanks for sharing!

Dewey Torres
02-07-2009, 12:21 AM
I too...the young grasshopper will do this someday!

Reed Gray
02-07-2009, 12:54 AM
It drives me crazy just looking at the thing. I get to see Malcom this coming Thursday in Salem. Maybe I will get crazy enough to try it.
robo hippy

Dewey Torres
02-07-2009, 12:58 AM
It drives me crazy just looking at the thing. I get to see Malcom this coming Thursday in Salem. Maybe I will get crazy enough to try it.
robo hippy

If any one can got you crazy enough to try it Malcolm can!

Jeff Nicol
02-07-2009, 6:08 AM
Third in the “Lost My Marbles” series (and thanks for that name guys.), this one is called “Inner Space”. Seen from space, our planet Earth looks like a blue marble, and there is a blue marble in the “inner space” of this piece to symbolize the Earth. The three walnut spirals which “orbit” the piece represent the fact that Earth is the third planet from the Sun.

The other wood is pecan, according to the neighbor who gifted me with it. The piece is approx. 8” x 9” x 10” high. For the statistically inclined, it is made from six half toroids and four straight sections, contains 1344 segments (plus one blue marble), and took 29 days to make. Some work was done on 26 of those days, varying from a few 6-hour days to several of one hour or less (glue joint, wait, glue joint, wait, etc.). Granted it is technically imperfect in several ways, some more obvious than others. Anyhow I am going to make one piece weed pots for a while. Your comments are welcome as always, and thanks for looking.
Richard, The beauty of a curved line is something to behold! But when you add all the segments and the finished shape, it gives me feeling of great respect for you and others that turn these wonderful works of art!!!

Perfect!

Jeff

Harvey Crouch
02-07-2009, 7:49 AM
Nice job Richard. You are getting more courageous (and skillful) with each project.

Richard Madison
02-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks to all for your kind remarks. I appreciate your support and encouragement. The pieces in this series are the kind of thing (for me) that Pablo Picasso meant when he said

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mike Golka
02-09-2009, 8:38 AM
One word, OUTSTANDING!

Richard Madison
02-09-2009, 6:29 PM
Thanks for your comment Mike. I appreciate it.