PDA

View Full Version : ? on dc where to run pipe in new shop

Jim Ketron
07-03-2004, 11:50 PM
What would you do?
I was thinking of running 4" pvc under the floor joists and bringing it up through the floor with cleanouts on each station"table saw, jointer, router table, mitersaw,lathe. But the shop is not going to have enough room to crawl under it. im going to install the pipe before the plywood is installed
but I may need to move something around or get a new tool ?
Or just run it on the wall or overhead?
Any other sugestions on what I should Do?
Jim

Steven Wilson
07-04-2004, 12:55 AM
4" PVC is too small. Save yourself the hassel and run the pipes overhead. If you must use PVC then stick with 6"

Frank Pellow
07-04-2004, 5:22 AM
Steven is right, 4" is too small and I think that he is right about running the pipe under the ceiling as well. I originally thought thyat I would run the pipe through the floor of my shop but decided that the ready access and flexibitly (in case I want to make changes down the road) of (metal) pipe hung from the ceiling is the best way to do things.

Jim Becker
07-04-2004, 10:19 AM
My advise is to put your duct work where it is easily accessable so you can make the inevitable changes over time. While overheard doesn't look as nice, it does allow you to make the most efficient duct design, which is typically a diagonal across the shop or straight down the middle for your main duct with branches off that. Perimeter designs are generally the worst as they usually add a lot of distance and duct work. Since you will not have easy access to anything under the floor, I suggest you not put your duct there.

Dave Moran
07-05-2004, 8:58 AM
Jim, If you are totally unlike me and could plan the perfect layout that never needed a change and planned for all future needs, then I would say under the floor. I have mine across the center of my shop overhead with a gate every 10' on a reducing wye. Far wall I come down to shin high to a double reducing wye, Onedia air makes them, one to my unisaw and one to my jointer. 5" trunk tight against the overhead allows the 4" gate to rest against the overhead with cleaance for the 4" pipe so you will need spacer blocks for the 4" runs.

Dave