PDA

View Full Version : Run N Buff Question

Bob Kline
02-06-2009, 4:34 PM
How permanent (if at all) is Rub N Buff when applied to a lasered or sand blasted glass that could end up in a dishwasher?
Thanks

John W. Love
02-06-2009, 6:29 PM
we tried the rub n buff in gold, silver and crimson. We tried it on glass and marble. Personally, I didnt care for it too much. it was very thick, hard to remove the excess and it didn't cover as well as I had hoped. Haven't checked the durability of it on glass as far as the dishwasher goes, but if it has lasting power equal to the problem of removing the excess then it should out live my grandchildren :D

Stephen Beckham
02-06-2009, 9:21 PM
Bob,

Used the gold on some Libbey glass and ran it through dishwasher to get an idea of the same question last year. As I recall, washing in the same day I etched and filled it, it came out after a wash or two. I let it sit for two days and tried it again and it lasted a couple more.

Bottom line - it's not permanent.

So... I had one customer that really liked the gold fill on her wedding glasses. I told her the secret and she went and got her own tube of R&B. Hadn't heard back from her recently, but at last I heard, she was perfectly content on re-coating as required...

Larry Bratton
02-06-2009, 9:41 PM
I tried filling some engraving on a wood pen with gold and it absolutely ruined the pen. Maybe I did something else wrong but I'm not a big fan of the stuff after that.

Rodne Gold
02-07-2009, 12:30 AM
R&B is extremely expensive and too "runny" we buy pots of gilders/gilding wax that comes in far more colours and is far more permanent and easier to apply, not expensive either. Just about every craft shop stocks it - used to antiques and colorise pic frames etc.
In gold alone , there are like 15 shades , solid colours like red , black , white etc also available
Turpentine removes excess easily. If you let the stuff dry before removing most of the excess - it just becomes fasr more difficult , excess needs to be removed fairly rapidly after application
considering these products use wax and resins as binders , its highly unlikely they would survive the hot water cycles/detergents of any washing up. After all , dishwashers are supposed to remove greasy deposits on stuff.