PDA

View Full Version : Project Pics

John Miliunas
07-03-2004, 11:12 PM
OK, so I've had 'bout enough of the banting. Oh, come on...You guys know *exactly* what I'm talkin' about: "Lots of toys going INto the shop, NOTHING coming out!" :mad: So, for all you nay-sayers, here's a few picks of the bathroom project, ableit only about 80% complete. (Still waiting on the rest of the lumber. :mad: )

Ambrosia Maple frames, Maple ply for door insets, Maple veneer on the case ends over MDF. Solid 2" thick acrylic for countertop, night lite inset and highlight in the valance. Resawed to 1/2" for the backsplash. ALL the acrylic machining done in my humble shop. (The acrylic started out crystal clear, BTW.) Euro hinges on all doors and I put a little functionality in what normally are dummy front panels on the sink. They hinge up and I built boxed-in shelves for "his & her" hair dryers, brushes, etc... Sorry for the pic quality, but I was trying real hard to get the lighting effect from the lights mounted behind the acrylic and just can't get it with my digital. Plus, it's a small bathroom, so no "complete" overall shots. :o Thanks for taking a peek. :cool:

Tyler Howell
07-03-2004, 11:17 PM
It's about time! Knew if I kept hitting that same button the elevator would come. Very nice my friend. All them toyls do put out. very nice in deed!;)
PS is that Outlet GHIC protected???:mad:
:D

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
07-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Neat work and design, John. I've never seen such thick acrylic before. Is that strictly for looks or is there another advantage to it?

Jim Ketron
07-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Looking Good John!!

Nice work!

Jim

Bob Marino
07-03-2004, 11:21 PM
John,

I like it a lot. Nice job. What finish will you use on the cabinets? Where do you buy the solid acrylic? Are the drawers dovetailed?
Love to see more pics as you finish.

Bob

John Miliunas
07-03-2004, 11:30 PM
[/i][/b]
:D

Thanks. You can't see it very well in the pic, but it's a GFI outlet. And, considering our location, I'm not sure I could protect us from "HIC"s! :D :eek: :o :cool:

John Miliunas
07-03-2004, 11:33 PM
Neat work and design, John. I've never seen such thick acrylic before. Is that strictly for looks or is there another advantage to it?

Thank you, Don! Thought I'd try my hand at mixing media a bit. Reason(s) for the acrylic? We already had it and it looks pretty cool. In case of tornado, it may also help anchor the cabinet! Man, is that thing HEAVY!!! :rolleyes: :cool:

Dick Parr
07-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Very nice John.

John Miliunas
07-03-2004, 11:38 PM
John,

I like it a lot. Nice job. What finish will you use on the cabinets? Where do you buy the solid acrylic? Are the drawers dovetailed?
Love to see more pics as you finish.

Bob

Appreciate the kind words, Bob. The cabs ARE finished! LOML picked out the stain and then didn't want a real shiny finish, so it's a witche's brew of 50/50 BLO & Satin poly. Drawers are dovetailed, but quite frankly, I don't like the way they came out, :o (First time with the D-4) so I'll probably be redoing them as I get more practice on the jig. The drawer faces just screw on from the backside, so no biggie. We bought the acrylic at an auction a couple years ago. 2 pieces at 2'x4' and another 2'x2' for $15.00!!! LOML wasn't at all sure what we'd use them for, but wanted them anyway. She insisted I incorporate them into this project. The rest is history. :cool:

Jerry Olexa
07-03-2004, 11:49 PM
John, You must be an even bigger HERO in your home now! Seriously, GREAt WORK EVEN IF YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY CHEESE Heads (Sorry about cap Lock) Congrats!!
Jerry

Dennis Peacock
07-04-2004, 12:04 AM
Congrats John on a job well done my friend.!!!! I like the design and the choice of materials go together really well.

Shoot, I don't need to send you no templates!! You got your hands full for now with that there baffroom.!!! :D

I'll try and get your templates cut out next week and shipped to ya.

John Miliunas
07-04-2004, 12:17 AM
Congrats John on a job well done my friend.!!!! I like the design and the choice of materials go together really well.

Shoot, I don't need to send you no templates!! You got your hands full for now with that there baffroom.!!! :D

I'll try and get your templates cut out next week and shipped to ya.

Thanks Dennis! You Da Man! :D

Jerry..."Hero"???? Only when I deliver ahead of schedule and below budget. Then the General Contractor (LOLO) might give me an "atta-boy"! I did OK on budget with this one, but it took WAY too long! :rolleyes: :cool:

Jim Becker
07-04-2004, 12:21 AM
That looks great, John. The ambrosia maple is so unusual in this setting...one of a kind!! Awesome!

David Klink
07-04-2004, 12:38 AM
That looks realllly nice. My wife approves as well!:)

Mike Stanton
07-04-2004, 1:46 AM
:) Looks great very nice job. ;) :cool: Mike

David Rose
07-04-2004, 1:48 AM
Wow! John, you really aren't just a tool collector are you? :o What is the shiny silver bowl in the center of the counter? Is that silver maple that you turned? :D

Nice job, btw. :)

David

Lloyd Robins
07-04-2004, 2:30 AM
Very Nice! I get to work on our kitchen this month. I hope that I can come close to doing as well. :)

John Miliunas
07-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Thanks again, gentlemen! Fortunately, the pics are crappy enough where you can't see all the mistakes, but this was my first real attempt at cabinets and still a dern sight better than most of what you can get at the borg's.

Lloyd, our own kitchen is on my short list, as well. Oh boy. Just can't wait. :rolleyes:

Dave, obviously, I didn't turn the bowl BUT, I now have a 2" thick acrylic blank, about 13" perfectly round to mess with on the lathe! :D I know I should have a metal-turning lathe for that, but it still should be fun. :) :cool:

Dan Mages
07-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Very nice job!! I like the nightlight you put in the cabinet. Do you have any other plans for the bathroom??

Dan

John Miliunas
07-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Very nice job!! I like the nightlight you put in the cabinet. Do you have any other plans for the bathroom??

Dan

Thank you, Dan. Yes, more to come. Still need to make a new entry door to LOML's specs and closet/shelf area for towels, clothes hamper, misc... My supply of Ambrosia ran out and waiting to get it refilled. :rolleyes: I'm going to have my DJ20 and the Smart Guide system ready to rock 'n roll on the rest, so that should save me some time and material! :) :cool:

Mark Singer
07-04-2004, 12:15 PM
John,
Finally all those toys are being put to use! I am going to get on Tyler next! :D What is he been doin'...By the way...great work! I love the simplicity and design ! Nice choice of wood and excellent workmanship! Great job man! Think what you will do with that new DJ 20 and the Pinner...woa I can't wait! I been givin you the guilt trip...sorry it is in the blood:rolleyes: ...you really deserve all that great stuff!

John Miliunas
07-04-2004, 12:27 PM
John,
Finally all those toys are being put to use! I am going to get on Tyler next! :D What is he been doin'...By the way...great work! I love the simplicity and design ! Nice choice of wood and excellent workmanship! Great job man! Think what you will do with that new DJ 20 and the Pinner...woa I can't wait! I been givin you the guilt trip...sorry it is in the blood:rolleyes: ...you really deserve all that great stuff!

Thanks, Mark! Means a LOT to me coming from someone with your design (and execution) abilities! :) "Simple" was exactly what we had decided on and it was fun to mix in a little man-made media into the works! ;)

YES, you DEFINITELY *NEED* to get on Tyler's case! He's always all over my behind, but it seems to me, all I recall seeing of his pics is primarily products of his *SHOPPING*! :eek: ('Course, too many more pics of his recent shop upgrades and I might go blind! :eek: ) Thanks again.... :cool:

nic obie
07-04-2004, 1:51 PM
Hi John,

I'd venture to guess that there are quite a few here that can do nice work like you did on your bathroom, however not all (including myself) are capable of coming up with such a good design.

Good job! It came out great

Now, About that fauset..... :eek:
(just kidding)

Pete Lamberty
07-04-2004, 2:15 PM
You did a beautiful job John. Absolutely beautiful. Not only did you do a great job with the woodwork, you also did a very nice job with the overall design. The mirror, the sink, the faucet, etc. It all came together really nicely. Great job!

Jeff Skory
07-04-2004, 4:39 PM
John,

Beautiful work! I love the acrylic sink. Definitely a one-of-a-kind creation.

I think it must have been too long since I have looked at faucets because I don't think I have ever seen one like what is on the right hand side of the picture. Guess I'll have to go check out what is available at the Great Indoors.

Again, great stuff!!!

Jason Tuinstra
07-04-2004, 4:44 PM
Jim, that looks fantastic. Nice job! I really liked the euro hinges that I installed on our bathroom vanity. With all the adjustablity they give you, who cares if the case is even square! :D Thanks for sharing some pictures with us. Now let's see if we can make this a regular occurance. :p

John Miliunas
07-04-2004, 5:24 PM
Once again, you guys are just too kind! :o Thank you! :)

Nic, Pete, thanks but, in all fairness, the design was a cumulative effort between both, LOML and myself. She picked out the sink, faucet, soap dispenser and OK'd the knobs. :) (Hey, she married me, so she's pretty much an expert on "knobs"! :D )

Jeff, I forget exactly where she got the faucet, but I *DO* remember it was on a "closeout" table, so the price was right and it fit with the rest of the design, so we both got lucky! :D

The acrylic was loads of "fun" to work with! I did find that good & sharp carbide cutters are the key. I resawed the backsplash on the Laguna with my Resaw King. A little skeptical, at first, but it did the job beautifully and the blade was no worse for the wear. :) The hole for the sink had me thinking for a bit, but then I just made a circle-cutting template for my router, drilled a hole in the center and went at it. The faucet and dispenser were just large forstner bits, though I did run into a challenge with that, too. You see, they are designed for surfaces not nearly as thick. Both had attachment shafts exactly 2" long. :( I had to go to the underside of the counter and route out sufficient room to get the mounting hardware in to tighten everything up. Worked OK, though. :)

Jason, the Euro hinges were another first for me! Hence forward, if the project calls for doors, I'm going to try and work those types of hinges into the design 'cuz, you're 100% right: They're great to install and adjust! :) Muchos gracias, folks and thanks to all who contributed tips, tricks, hints and suggestions, which I may have used in this project, as there were many! :cool:

Chris Padilla
07-05-2004, 2:06 AM
Superb work, John, and a great idea using the acrylic...very creative/innovative. Can you handle this many compliments??? :D

John Miliunas
07-05-2004, 8:50 AM
Superb work, John, and a great idea using the acrylic...very creative/innovative. Can you handle this many compliments??? :D

Chris, the compliments are heart-warming, no doubt! :) But, the true value comes in from what's written in-between the lines and that's *encouragement*! :D I'm still a "newbie" and I know it and my work shows it, especially when compared to the many, extremely talented folks here at SMC. :o I know that some of them are just being "nice". That's OK, too. Positive comments from those folks much more talented than I, simply enforce my own commitment to learn more, improve and do better next time! As soon as I feel I have no more to learn, the last post you see from me will be in the "Classifieds" section of this forum! That said, you can expect to see me around for a long, LONG time! Thanks again to you and all whom have taken the time to attach their valuable input to this thread! :) :cool:

Tom Sweeney
07-05-2004, 11:22 AM
John,
Fantastic job on the bathroom. Unique, awsome, well executed design. . . .
You done good buddy. I love the ambrosia maple & the acrylic is really cool in this application. Glad to see you putting all those nice toys, er tools, to good use. We were afraid we would have to come & take them away from you due to felony tool neglect & donate them to a charitable cause (the Tom Sweeney needs nice tools project :p ;) )

Seriously I'm very impressed.

Kent Cori
07-06-2004, 10:31 AM
And still not a spek of sawdust visible anywhere! Are you sure you just didn't go to the custom ambrosia maple with acrylic panel department at the local Borg and just buy prefabricated units? ;)

Seriously John, you clearly do great work. I too like the simplicity and functionality of your design. My only question is where did you hide the mini refrigerator for the Hamms beer? :rolleyes:

Mike Palmer
07-06-2004, 11:49 AM
John, looks great! I like the use of different materials in a project. It make it a one-of-a-kind piece. I have always been a big fan of using different materials.

On the counter top, did you have to polish the edge? If so, how did you go about doing it?

Again, very nice work.

John Miliunas
07-06-2004, 12:09 PM
And still they come....You guys are overwhelming me. Sheeeesh...I may not even have to get on a ladder to look an ant eye-to-eye anymore! :D Many thanks! :)

Tom, I'm really, REALLY happy I was able to avoid the felony charge! That means my record remains clean, contrary to what Mr. Peshtigo may say! :rolleyes:

Kent, "sssshhhhhhhh" You know those "hidden" his/hers dummy fronts below the sink? I didn't tell LOML what's behind the "back" of the bottom cabinet on the left! :D

Mike, I will definitely keep an open mind for mixing media in the future! It was kinda' fun. Finishing it was all done with WW tools. The front edge was a carbide 1/4-round router bit. All the acrylic started "life" crystal clear. That just wouldn't turn the trick, as then you could see through to all the garbage under the sink. For the frosted glass look, I simply hit the whole thing with my Festool ROS. I believe 220 was the finest grit I went to. Much finer and you start the "polishing" process and start going back to clear. We definitely wanted to keep the frosted look. :) Thanks again guys! :cool:

Christopher Stahl
07-06-2004, 2:00 PM
My turn. :)

John, this looks fantastic. I'm blown away by the acrylic countertop. Nice Going! I love the use of materials in an unconventional way. This is awesome work!

chris

John Miliunas
07-07-2004, 10:18 PM
My turn. :)

John, this looks fantastic. I'm blown away by the acrylic countertop. Nice Going! I love the use of materials in an unconventional way. This is awesome work!

chris

Thanks Chris. Except for lugging it around, the acrylic was kinda' fun to work with, in a strange way! :rolleyes: We still have another 2x4', 2" thick piece of it. I just "can't wait" to see what project the LOML comes up with for it! :confused: :eek: :cool:

Dale Thompson
07-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Hey Spring,
I knew that the bowl was not "Silver Maple" like David said. He always has the obvious answer to EVERYTHING! ;) :)

I was going to ask you if you used your "big" lathe or your "mini" to core all of that stainless steel out of the bowl. ;) Whatever, your new bathroom looks fantastic. :D :D I hope you realize that the LOYL will NOT let you use it after it is done. Guys just don't have a good enough "aim" for new bathrooms. :) :)

OK, Mr. Tool Collector, which Peshtigo Contractor did you get to do all of that professional work? ;) :)

Dale T.

John Miliunas
07-07-2004, 11:34 PM
OK, Mr. Tool Collector, which Peshtigo Contractor did you get to do all of that professional work? ;) :)

Dale T.

Well, I went up there looking for this Thompson guy. Nobody seemed to know who he was! I even showed them a picture I had gotten at the post office. Sheeeesh...They started slamming doors in my face! :eek: With that, I figured this guy from Peshtigo is rough company, so I contracted my youngest daughter to do the bulk of it. She showed her expertise on her bedroom project, so I figured, "What the heck?!", right? :) She couldn't quite handle that slab of acrylic by herself and gave me a bit of a discount if I could assist. :rolleyes: Cheepskate that I am, I jumped right in! I mainly did the grunt work and being the modest little girl she is, said I could go ahead and tell everyone that I did the thing myself! Man, she's a wonderful kid! :D The worst part was trying to get her away from her Playstation, so that she could get to work on the darn thing! :rolleyes: (BTW, Thanks Dale!) :cool:

Robert Goodwin
07-08-2004, 2:38 PM
Beutiful work.. Wow. This gives me some inspiration to go out into my 150 degree shop

Dale Thompson
07-08-2004, 9:34 PM
Well, I went up there looking for this Thompson guy. Nobody seemed to know who he was! I even showed them a picture I had gotten at the post office. Sheeeesh...They started slamming doors in my face! :eek: With that, I figured this guy from Peshtigo is rough company, so I contracted my youngest daughter to do the bulk of it. She showed her expertise on her bedroom project, so I figured, "What the heck?!", right? She couldn't quite handle that slab of acrylic by herself and gave me a bit of a discount if I could assist. Cheepskate that I am, I jumped right in! I mainly did the grunt work and being the modest little girl she is, said I could go ahead and tell everyone that I did the thing myself! Man, she's a wonderful kid! The worst part was trying to get her away from her Playstation, so that she could get to work on the darn thing! (BTW, Thanks Dale!)

Spring,
FINALLY!! You have my utmost respect! Although we CHEESEHEADS are at the bottom of the food chain, we can be acclaimed for our honesty. :)

On the other hand, we sometimes defy the gene pool by producing daughters who are intelligent, pretty, talented, skilled and, most important, have an understanding of their Dads shortcomings.

My best advice (from experience): Keep your mouth SHUT. Do ONLY what she specifically TELLS you to do. WATCH and LEARN from her expertise!! NEVER question ANYTHING that she does! ALWAYS make sure, even during breaks, that you have a broom in your hand to keep her shop clean and uncluttered for her next project! Lastly, ALWAYS keep two double-barreled shotguns fully loaded and handy for when some young male CHEESEHEAD appears to try to lure her away with promises of "even MORE challenging projects". Load the first gun with #6 buckshot for the "wimps" and the second with "slugs" for the more "persistent" liars. :cool:

If you follow these simple rules, ALL of your projects will turn out as impressive as the one which you posted.

GADS, bud, your daughter is changing a whole HOUSE and I'm sitting here working on a rocking horse for my grandson. ;) Oh Well - I'm also a Cub fan!! :D ;) By the way - what is a Playstation? Is it something like a set of Lincoln Logs or an Erector Set?

Dale T.

John Miliunas
07-08-2004, 9:52 PM
By the way - what is a Playstation? Is it something like a set of Lincoln Logs or an Erector Set?

Dale T.

Oh, come now. She's WAY beyond Lincoln Logs and such! :eek: The "Playstation" is a modern-day version of what WE may have played eons ago on the TV. If you remember "Pong"??? The "games" for this one are about as expensive as the whole "Pong" console was back then! :D Oh, and of course, she honors Dad by letting him buy her a new game for it every couple months or so! :) What the heck...Keeps her outta' the bars! :D

BTW, seeing as to how YOUR own are all growed up and gone, you got a good deal on a shotgun?! :D :cool: