PDA

View Full Version : Saw Stop Question

Mitchell Miracle
02-06-2009, 3:14 PM
Hi Sawmill Creek. This is my first post. I have been reading all of the posts concerning table saw comparisons. However, I have a specific question concerning a good deal I may have found. I can get a one year old Saw Stop with Jointech Fence and Master R Slide, extension and outfeed tables, and storage cabinets for $3800. I am fairly new to woodworking but know I will be doing it for a long time. Here is the question. Do I spring for this deal now and buy possibly the only saw I will ever need or do I buy a Grizzly 1023 and use the remaining $2000 to purschase other items that I may need in the future? Thanks for the help.

Eduard Nemirovsky
02-06-2009, 3:44 PM
it is up to you. I would buy a SS for this money. I have SS and I like it.

Joe Pack
02-06-2009, 4:09 PM
Buy it and don't look back. The SawStop is a great saw, even without the safety features. And this is a very good price.

Don Bullock
02-06-2009, 5:08 PM
Buy the SS.

Greg Cuetara
02-06-2009, 5:54 PM
CPeter how much are you asking for the P66?

Joe Jensen
02-06-2009, 6:08 PM
Mitchell, welcome. I have a SS and love it. There has been a used SS on the Phoenix Craig's list at $2800 for a couple of weeks. The price on yours sounds like a lot unless you really value the big ticket options it has on it.

CPeter James
02-06-2009, 6:17 PM
I am not sure. I have not thought about it. This is the first time I have seen a SS for sale and that would be the only reason I would sell it.

Chris Padilla
02-06-2009, 6:29 PM
Mitchell, welcome. I have a SS and love it. There has been a used SS on the Phoenix Craig's list at $2800 for a couple of weeks. The price on yours sounds like a lot unless you really value the big ticket options it has on it.

Man, if only Phoenix was a bit closer. I've been searching most of the coast and central valley of CA for a used SS and have only come across 2 in a month of looking...and both went quickly. :(

Tony Scolaro
02-06-2009, 7:41 PM
Chris did you see the one in Aptos? That was a good deal ended up going for less on ebay than craigs list. I believe $3075 with xtras Tony

Jonathan Spool
02-06-2009, 8:07 PM
I have found that when ever I took a short term attitude regarding tools, I was always upgrading later, at a financial loss.
I recommend buying the best tools you can afford, and want, and build your shop slowly but surely with top notch equipment.

Jacob Mac
02-06-2009, 9:07 PM
I looked at the SS when I was outfitting my shop and I just couldn't justify it. Don't get me wrong it is a great saw, but when you need to buy a DP, planer, jointer, bandsaw, workbench, planes, clamps, routers, ..... I just couldn't afford to spend so much money on one item.

I compromised and bought a nicely equipped TS from a fellow Creeker and I am waiting for a Shark Guard. So I think one very pertinent question is how many tools do you already have, and how much can you spend outfitting your shop.

With WW there are a lot of ways to get to the same point, I would evaluate what you want to build, what tools you already have, and what you need/want to be able to build your projects. The SS might make perfect sense for you, or maybe there is a different way. But for me as I was starting out I just couldn't afford the SS and still get the rest of my shop outfitted.

I realize my Jet cabinet saw is not as safe as the SS in the event of an accident. But I made sure my saw is aligned, I always use GRRRippers, a sharp blade, and I will use the Shark Guard once I get it. It is a risk, but one I felt was small enough to chance. Now if I lose a finger I am sure I will have an entirely different perspective.

Mitchell Miracle
02-06-2009, 9:33 PM
Thanks for the information. I already have a powermatic bandsaw, Grizzly 8" jointer, 15" planer, Drill Press, Jessem Router table with Router lift, Spindle sander, belt sander, planes, bench, mortiser, and the usual assortment of miter saws, hand sanders, and misc. stuff. The table saw would be an upgrade from a Craftsman Contractors Saw. I mostly do built ins and furniture for family. What I am really torn over is the Saw Stop versus a $1500 table saw and using the difference for a drum sander. Any advice will help.

John Sanford
02-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Sawstop.

Then just put $$ away until a good deal on a drum sander comes along.

Don Bullock
02-07-2009, 9:57 AM
... The table saw would be an upgrade from a Craftsman Contractors Saw. I mostly do built ins and furniture for family. What I am really torn over is the Saw Stop versus a $1500 table saw and using the difference for a drum sander. Any advice will help.

If your Craftsman Contractors Saw is anything close to to the one I replaced with my SS you're in for a wonderful experience.;):D

Mitchell Miracle
02-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like a decent deal but not fantastic considering out current economy. I may try and talk him down some more first and see what happens. Thanks again.

Chuck Tringo
02-08-2009, 8:46 PM
I have another question that I couldn't find on their website ? Are Sawstops made in the USA or overseas ?

George Lohnes
02-08-2009, 9:25 PM
Sawstop.

Then just put $$ away until a good deal on a drum sander comes along.

Amen to that

Joe Jensen
02-08-2009, 9:32 PM
I have another question that I couldn't find on their website ? Are Sawstops made in the USA or overseas ?

Designed in the US, manufactured in Taiwan...joe

Mike Heidrick
02-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the information. I already have a powermatic bandsaw, Grizzly 8" jointer, 15" planer, Drill Press, Jessem Router table with Router lift, Spindle sander, belt sander, planes, bench, mortiser, and the usual assortment of miter saws, hand sanders, and misc. stuff. The table saw would be an upgrade from a Craftsman Contractors Saw. I mostly do built ins and furniture for family. What I am really torn over is the Saw Stop versus a $1500 table saw and using the difference for a drum sander. Any advice will help.

Sawstop and then a widebelt (oh wait that is my plan). Sawstop and then DD is my advice.

One high quality tool at a time. Pretty soon they are all that way.

Someday I will own a widebelt. I have the G1066Z Grizzly DD and it is truely all I need but when a 37" WB sander comes along cheap amount and is close enough to go get it I will own it!