PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Laminate

Mike McCann
02-06-2009, 2:01 PM
I am building the fold-down outfeed table in the woodworkers journal. It calls for Plastic Laminate. Where do you go about buying some. I only need 4' x 4' piece. I did a search, plenty on how to glue but none on where to purchase.

thanks

Karlan Talkington
02-06-2009, 2:05 PM
You can usually order it through your local BORG. Its sold as countertop laminate.

Bill White
02-06-2009, 2:26 PM
Check the "yaller" pages for a cabinet/countertop shop in your area. They might even have a partial sheet that you can buy at discount.
Bill:p

Mark Boyette
02-06-2009, 2:47 PM
I know the home depot's around here have full sheets for around $45. Should be able to find it in your area. Not much of a color selection but it will do the job.

Dale Lesak
02-06-2009, 3:01 PM
Mike, If you have a Lowels close---- you can get full sheets 4 X 8 for around 31.00. Real good price. you are limited to colors to what they stock. the one I use have a choice of about 5 colors but the price is right. Menard's carry the counter top pre cut to about 30" by what length you need but sill limited to what they stock. BTW--what your looking for is "High pressure laminate" brand names are Formica, Wilsonart and a few others.

Todd Hyman
02-06-2009, 3:05 PM
Mike, If you have a Lowels close---- you can get full sheets 4 X 8 for around 31.00. Real good price. you are limited to colors to what they stock. the one I use have a choice of about 5 colors but the price is right. Menard's carry the counter top pre cut to about 30" by what length you need but sill limited to what they stock. BTW--what your looking for is "High pressure laminate" brand names are Formica, Wilsonart and a few others.

$31 per sheet is great price considering all the Lowes I've seen have it for $45 per 4'x8' sheet!

Mike McCann
02-06-2009, 3:20 PM
thanks. I called lowes and HD they both just sell full sheets at around 45 a pop. Do not wnat to spend that much when I only need a half sheet. Will check with cabinet counter top people in the area.

thanks again.

hank dekeyser
02-06-2009, 9:08 PM
The best bang for the buck is a cabinet shop. All cabinet shops have racks full of odds -n- ends. Color selection will be limited however. Another option is to just use an old island top- masonite, or something inexpesive(ish) would be called "backer, or underliner" It is a plastic laminate designed and used as the bottom side of countertops and door backs. I am good buds w/ a local shop and every year when they clean out the rack I get a phone call - whatever they're tossing is free for the taking. I only take what I think I might use- first time I took LOTS - never used even 1/10th of it all, and I use it on a lot of stuff.

Doug Mason
02-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Why even bother with plastic laminate for the outfeed table. Other than for looks, I can't see what the benefit is.

Ed Hazel
02-07-2009, 12:29 AM
You could use some HDPE http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=72&product_id=10369
It is slick and nothing sticks to it. I use the 1/16" thick on my counter tops when it starts to get ugly i flip it over then replace makes a good sacrificial surface.

Duncan Horner
02-07-2009, 12:29 AM
Low friction?

Mike McCann
02-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Ed

how owuld you attach the hdpe. do you use screws.

Scott Pagington
02-07-2009, 9:01 PM
Just picked up a 30"x46" (IIRC) sheet at Menards today for $13.