PDA

View Full Version : Grinders and Buffers

John Schreiber
02-06-2009, 2:00 PM
I came into a 6" 1/3 hp grinder and I've already got a 6" 1/2 hp grinder. What could I use the extra grinder for. Anything interesting seems to require taking off the guards and I don't want to be stupidly unsafe.

Could I:
add a 2" wide friable wheel to help with sharpening.
add some buffing wheels for polishing
add some cloth wheels for sharpening chisels and carving tools
add a cutoff blade?
My most common use for my present grinder is modifying metal bits like screws to fit or sharpening my lawnmower blade. I presently do all my blade grinding on a belt sander and do scary sharp for sharpening plane blades, chisels and carving gouges.

Tom Esh
02-06-2009, 6:36 PM
A wire wheel is indispensable IMO. Great for removing rust and deburring.

Jim Eller
02-07-2009, 10:09 AM
My second grinder is a "slow" grinder and I use it for sharpening on one side and have a Beall Wood Buff http://www.bealltool.com/products/buffing/buffer.php on the other side.

I'm in "love" with the Beall system. It really puts a professional looking finish on wood.

But, it is only recommended for 1725 rpm use.

Jim

John Schreiber
02-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Is it "ok" to take off the guards? I see warnings not to do so, but I couldn't put anything larger than 3/4" on without doing so.

Tom Esh
02-07-2009, 6:26 PM
Is it "ok" to take off the guards? I see warnings not to do so, but I couldn't put anything larger than 3/4" on without doing so.

They definitely help prevent accidental contact with the sides. I'd like them on for anything but buffing wheels. (Of course even a buffing wheel can grab a tool and throw it, guard or no guard.) They also help confine the mess - or at least the direction in which it's thrown.:D

Mike Wilkins
02-08-2009, 11:46 AM
I have 2 of the 6" grinders in my shop. One is equipped with standard grinding wheels, and the other with wire wheels. 80 and 120 grit grinding wheels, and medium and fine wire wheels. Great combo. Considering a third one with the white grinding wheels for my turning tools.

Bob Genovesi
02-08-2009, 12:15 PM
I have 2 grinders as well. One is strictly for grinding and the other has a wire wheel and a buffing wheel....

george wilson
02-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Bob,I had to hold my hand up to your flag,to see if I could feel the breeze!!

John,how do you get something scary sharp on a belt grinder?

John Schreiber
02-08-2009, 8:59 PM
John,how do you get something scary sharp on a belt grinder?
I use a belt sander when I need to remove a lot of material from a damaged edge or to grind a new bevel. Then I use scary sharp to sharpen and hone. The belt sander keeps cooler than a grinder and it's plenty fast for me.

My main point was that I don't see a need for a grinder for sharpening.