PDA

View Full Version : Need some work done - Cutting acrylic or real thick/heavy weight paper for stencils

Bryan Cowan
02-06-2009, 1:28 PM
I need stencils made that I can outline and trace using a fine point Sharpie marker. I'm currently using laminated paper which is fine, but I constantly need to replace. I figured I could use real thin acrylic or real thick/heavy weight paper that can be laser cut to the dimensions I need.

Off the top of my head, I'd say I'd need anywhere between 25-50 different stencils made. It would be a one-time request (unless I break one or need a new stencil made for another shape).

I would supply the CorelDraw drawings (tell me which format to save it in..I'm using X4)

Tell me your table size and I'll arrange the stencils to maximize total coverage to try to eliminate waste/scrap.

I only wish our FiberMark could do this, but no such luck.

Please PM me if you're interested in helping and suggestions of what type of material would be best. Remember, I'm only using them as stencils with a fine point Sharpie marker. So they need to be thin, but not so thin the acrylic (if chosen) will crack. You would have to supply the material.

Bryan

Margaret Turco
02-06-2009, 1:58 PM
Where are you Bryan?

Bryan Cowan
02-06-2009, 2:02 PM
Cleveland, OH

Once cut, the stencils can be sandwiched together and shipped in a USPS box (13" x 16" x 3"). I don't believe there is any stencil larger than 16" long. The majority of them are no bigger than a piece of 8.5" x 11" paper.

pete hagan
02-06-2009, 8:20 PM
Or is is that you NEED them cut from someone? If so I'd be happy to throw my hat in the ring. I'm in Lexington, KY.

I have a 24 X 26 table. I have cut lots of case stencils from the .03 type of stencil material and they hold up well to various applications

Corel X3 , Solidworks and MasterCam XP

Pete

Vic Harris
02-06-2009, 9:04 PM
I agree with Pete, mylar seems to be the way to go.If for some reason Pete can't handle it but give Pete first go he saw you first. I'll also toss my hat in the ring I have a 24x36 table with corel x3
Lebanon Missouri
Vic Harris

Kevin Groenke
02-06-2009, 11:38 PM
If you need something thicker, you might consider PETG. Up to .040" thick, cuts well, durable, flexible and $30 for a 4'x8' sheet.

-kg

Mike Null
02-07-2009, 6:55 AM
Or oilboard. Easy to laser.

Steve Clarkson
02-07-2009, 8:15 AM
Mylar, PETG, and oilboard........I'm not familiar with any of these. Can they be found at the local borg?

Mike Null
02-07-2009, 8:17 AM
Steve

Here is a link. It's possible that art supply stores have it as well.

http://www.customcutstencilco.com/machine.htm

Dave Johnson29
02-07-2009, 9:05 AM
You could also check out gasket material from auto parts supply. It is impervious to just about anything. It comes in various thicknesses and laser cuts fine. I have pic of some 0.030" thick stuff on my Home Page under the "Others" category.

Steve Clarkson
02-07-2009, 9:08 AM
Thanks Mike!

James Jaragosky
02-07-2009, 9:44 AM
Thanks Mike!
This is a little off topic.
I do not do many stencils. The few have I done for myself I Used hanging folders (the green kind) used in a file cabinet. They cut well and are very durable.
It may help someone in a bind for a quick stencil someday.
Jim J

Bryan Cowan
02-07-2009, 2:30 PM
Is cutting the gasket material similar to cutting rubber? I can cut rubber with our FiberMark but it leaves a lot of soot. The smell isn't so great either.

Dave Johnson29
02-07-2009, 4:47 PM
Is cutting the gasket material similar to cutting rubber? I can cut rubber with our FiberMark but it leaves a lot of soot. The smell isn't so great either.

Hi Bryan,

I did not notice any bad smell and no soot either. The edges look almost sealed. I do have a pretty fierce extractor system so either or both went outside quickly.

Best idea is to try a local auto parts and get a 12" length of different thicknesses. They cut it off a 18" roll and is $1.70 a foot or something for the thin stuff.

Look for the grayish brown stuff. Do not get the red stuff as that is usually heat proof for steam and exhaust gaskets etc. :)

George Brown
02-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Where can you find it for that price?

Dave Johnson29
02-08-2009, 11:07 AM

George,

I assume you mean the gasket material ????

I get mine at local Carquest. Pretty sure I paid around $3.60+Tax for 2ft a few months back.

Kevin Groenke
02-08-2009, 2:33 PM

George,

If you meant the price for PETG, it's just from a local plastics supply house (Crown Plastics in this case)

Quantities have always been 5+
4'x8' x .020" - $19.58
4'x8' x .030" - $23.40
4'x8' x .040" - $30.40

shearing to 16 x 32 and delivery are free.

-kg

George Brown
02-09-2009, 9:28 AM
Thanks Kevin, my local supplier is way too expensive.

Thanks Dave, I'll check out my local carquest.