PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum chuck adapter

David Haywood
02-06-2009, 11:43 AM
I tried building my own adapter from information obtained on another website. The writer even gave the part#/ drawer# at Lowes for the sealed bearings that he used successfully( I guess). I got all the leaks I could locate out of my system and could get 28 in. of vacuum through the system. When I added the adapter that I built the number would drop by half. Never could get it to stop the leaking. By the time I had enough epoxy on it to stop the leak it wouldn't rotate easily. The writer said use JB weld epoxy to seal around the bearing. I could not locate that brand in the type for metal. Has anyone else built one that worked without leaks, and would you be willing to share the process? I got a price on the one recommended by Steve Schlumpf, but being cheap as I am, I decided to try it myself. So far I'm thinking I should have saved my money and bought the one he suggested.

Jon McCoy
02-06-2009, 1:37 PM
Same here, spent the better part of a Saturday failing to make a shopmade vacuum adapter work. Other folks have succeeded, so it can't be that difficult, but I found my time was better spent playing with spinny wood while Tom Steyer made me one that works perfectly.

-jon-

Chris Haas
02-06-2009, 5:52 PM
ive made a few, they have all seemed to work for me. i used corian for the body though, dont know if that helped or not.

Gary Max
02-06-2009, 6:07 PM
I tried making one---I bought one of the cheap ones (returned it) then I bought the Oneway Vac system-----end of soap opera.