PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on basic supplies staples list

Sheryl Haley
02-06-2009, 11:12 AM
I am new to laser engraving and have been reading the posts and discovering different products, materials, and software everyone uses. There are so many, I was wondering what basic supplies I should have on hand for different materials as far as coloring, sealing, tape, ect.... for granite, marble, wood, acrylic and such...

I have an Epilog Legend 36EXT 75watt
Corel Draw X4
Photograv 3.0

Thank you in advance,
Sheryl Haley

Steve Clarkson
02-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Oh man.....it could take HOURS to answer THAT one!

Well, I know you already bought black gloss paint.....that was an excellent mirror that you posted the other day.

Here are some of the things I have bought.....

For coloring.....you need about twenty cans of spray paint (all different colors) and make sure you buy the Krylon Fusion for painting acrylic. You also need Rub n Buff (as many colors as you can find) but a basic kit of like 20 different colors of acrylic paints (especially titanium white) will help. A few small paint brushes (all different sizes) and a bag of rags. The Blue Painters tape and maybe some of that frog tape.

Make sure you pick up a can of Denatured Alcohol (referred to on here as DNA), some WD 40, mineral spirits and/or paint thinner.

Don't forget adhesives (super glue, gorilla glue, etc.).

I also bought a battery lighted magnifying glass so you can inspect the fine detail on things. A fabric ruler for measuring round objects. An xacto knife set for cutting and scraping things (a utility knife too).

Well, I just cost you a few hundred bucks.....so I'll stop there.

But if you ever need someone to go shopping with....call me!

Frank Corker
02-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Jeez Steve, are you trying to frighten the poor woman? Just have a read through previous posts, there are quite a lot of different things people use, if you read enough posts you will see a pattern forming for the type of work that you do.

Sheryl Haley
02-06-2009, 1:14 PM
Thank you Steve and Frank,

Steve, Wow !!! I guess I was just trying to get a general idea of what I should carry in my shop. I should have been more specific as what I was after.

I guess I was really looking for different finishing techniques on different materials. I have never used Rub N Buf and the thread on coloring granite with opaque white and watercolered pencils was wonderful as well as using acrylic paint on marble is fantastic as well.

Thank you both for the compliments on my mirror.

Frank,
Thanks for standing up for me. I value everyones opinion and will keep reading the threads for more ideas.

Steve Clarkson
02-06-2009, 1:52 PM
Waaaaiiiiit a minute......your post specifically said, "I was wondering what basic supplies I should have on hand for different materials as far as coloring, sealing, tape, ect...." It didn't say ANYTHING about "different finishing techniques"!!!! You're asking the WRONG person THAT question....I can't even flame polish.

Frank's just jealous cause I won't take him shopping....

Thad Nickoley
02-06-2009, 2:10 PM
Sounds like maybe Steve and Frank are married:eek:

Sheryl Haley
02-06-2009, 2:19 PM
Steve,
I am really am grateful for all the advice and support Sawmillcreekers have to offer. When I posted my thread I really wasn't sure how to word it. I should have said that I was after the best products for different finishing techniques for different materials, so I apologize for not wording my thread properly.

Thank You, Sheryl Haley

PS. I need all the help, tips and tricks I can get in getting my lasering business up to par

Steve Clarkson
02-06-2009, 2:37 PM
Just hasslin' you Sheryl......it's Friday. I need all the help, tricks and tips that I can get too.

Thad......I just wrote your name down. You're on my list. Payback's.......

And Frank isn't my type........

Mike Null
02-06-2009, 2:43 PM
Sheryl

I suggest buying everything on an as needed basis. Then you won't have things you don't need and won't have things getting old before you have chance to use them.

As far as paints are concerned I tend to use more craft paints from Michaels along with back, white and aluminum spray paints. Denatured alcohol, masking tape, transfer tape, acrylic cement if you're going to do awards, trophy tape (gold line from JDS). A low priced set of artists brushes.

If I could ever get my shop a little bit organized I'd take a picture of all the stuff you'll need at least once.

Darren Null
02-06-2009, 3:11 PM
I'd start with a torch (with magnifying glass- never thought of that...once I did a name on a watch that I had to photo and blow up on the computer because I couldn't see it); DNA; a micrometer; an old credit card (or palette knives for applying colourfill paint); WD40; A set of artists acrylic paint; some spray cans of car paint; masking tape; and some sacrificial plywood for aiming tricky jobs.

I'll stop there.

John W. Love
02-06-2009, 6:39 PM
There are several posts by Steve where he went shopping. READ THOSE CAREFULLY then take that into light when you read his first response here. lol
Actually, a lot of what was posted here are things that need to be considered your "almost everyday" items.
The fabric measuring tape is a must. Took me a bit of time to get that one down. I was taking a string and measuring the circumfence and then using a ruler to measure that. (I don't frequent too many fabric shops so how was I to know there was such a nifty invention).

A lot will depend on what you want your specialty to be. If it is awards then you would have one set of supplies, plaques and frames another set. Granite, yet another. etc. etc.

And of course prowling through these forums will give you an excellent idea of what you will be needing.

Tom Gooch
02-07-2009, 5:58 PM
Sheryl,

I'm a newbie too and the advice I liked best here was "don't buy without need." I would also suggest that if you have money to buy a "staples" list then you might be better served with a membership to ARA and a trip to their show in Las Vegas at the end of this month. I'm holding off buying many things until after I've been to this show. I expect that if I bought some stuff now, I would then see items at the show that I would say to myself, "sure wish I'd waited, cause I like this brand or item better than what I bought." I expect to get an education on the show floor beyond what is offered in classes, and I expect there will be some good 'deals' at the show as well. I will be very surprised if the show doesn't provide far greater value than the cost of membership and travel/lodging.

To your benefit, you are already a step ahead of the pack by having found THIS forum---the creek. I get something out of it just about every day and the folks sure are friendly! Best wishes to you---hope to see you at the show.