PDA

View Full Version : Urns

Chris Jenkins
02-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Without getting too morbid, I'm really interested in making some urns. I have two little urns that I would like to make for some special dogs in our family.

I have never done any hollow form work before, but am intersted in trying. Can anyone give me some pointers of where to read up on some of these techniques?

I saw the Mike Mahoney Urn DVD is available, but not sure if that is more for the advanced user, so I hesitated to buy.

Right now the only tools that are "hollowing tools" that I own is the Beaver Swan Neck from Crown.

Thanks,

Chris

Pete Jordan
02-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I have the Mahoney DVD and it is very good. I think it would be a good one to get.

robert hainstock
02-06-2009, 1:20 PM
I only made one urn, but te process was simpl e enough. It was of staved construction, 16 to be precse. It ised rabbeted ends, and I used David Ellsworth hollowing tools which I would not use again. I posted it Nov 25 2007. The staves were ripped at 11.25 degrees, and were 1 1/2x2". for pet cremains, 6" long should do it. Good luck. :(:(
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2009, 4:18 PM
Another vote for Mahoney's DVD. Excellent.

Roger Wilson
02-06-2009, 5:29 PM
Without getting too morbid, I'm really interested in making some urns. I have two little urns that I would like to make for some special dogs in our family.

From the urn threads I've seen you have to account for one cubic inch of ash for each pound the person (doggie here) weighed. That is bigger then you'd think. Bill Grumbine's website has a short article on an urn he made for someone.

Jeff Nicol
02-06-2009, 6:44 PM
Chris,

Here is a sight that gives you some information on cubic inches of ash generated pere 50# of live weight. Hope this helps, I have made a few urns for pets and a german shepard fit in a 5" dia 6" tall inside dimensions. I just posted a picture a few weeks ago of one I just finished.

http://www.giftofireland.com/Articletwentytwo.htm

Jeff

Paul Engle
02-06-2009, 7:31 PM
Chris Hartley may be of good help, the ones I have done for human remains were 225 cubic inches for an average adult, ( my sons was 250 cu inches). Using the cylinder measuring method works quite well for the inside demensions.

Ryan Baker
02-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Another vote for the Mahoney DVD.

Chris Barnett
02-06-2009, 10:35 PM
How timely. I have been asked my my single daugter to make a box for one of her beloved dogs remains. Since her pet was her only near family, she lives on the other side of the world in Oregon, I want to do a good job, but I have never turned a bowl much less a hollowed form. I have the pen down pat though ;).

So I will be looking with much hope at the comments here, and willl pursue the sites noted for how-to info. I had planned on making two boxes, one inside the other, the external one for her to keep made from rosewood, and the inner from luan plywood that can later be interred when she realizes she does not wish to keep a full box for many, many years, with perhaps a small turned vial for a small portion for memories.

If I am successful, I would also like to make a nice round box for my dog's remains, that I have currently in a cardboard box. This dog was my buddy, a huge Leonburger...ever see John Candy's Summer Vacation or the latest Call of the Wild with Rutger Hauer? The perfect companion dog.

So hope many comments are made to the originator...I will hush and ride shotgun now.