PDA

View Full Version : Shut Down Procedure for GAST Rotary Vane Pumps

steven carter
02-06-2009, 11:00 AM
While reading the Chris Haas thread about whether or not his pump was broken, I came upon the following shut down procedures on the Gast site:
After using the unit, disconnect it from your application and allow the pump to run open for at least 3 minutes.
Then block the inlet port and let the pump to pull a deep vacuum on itself for at least 5 minutes. (this lets the pump get very hot and will dry out any moisture that the pump has sucked into itself)
Then after the 5 minutes open the intake and let the unit run for 3 minutes to cool down now the unit is ready for storage.
My question to those who use this kind of pump, is whether or not the you all do this or not. It seems to me if you set your system up ala Steve Schlumpf, the input filter would lessen the need, but I'm not sure.

Steve

Ken George
02-06-2009, 2:22 PM
I have had a Gast pump for about 3 years now and use it often. The only shutdown procedure I follow is to let it run open for a minute or so before turning it off. Have had no problems at all.

Gary Max
02-06-2009, 2:25 PM
I have had mine for three years now---why didn't you post this back then. ;)
I just unplug it when I am done.

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2009, 3:45 PM
Steve - when I am done using the vac system, I disconnect the adapter from the lathe and let the pump continue to run for a couple of minutes. I check the exhaust temp by holding my hand next to the silencer and if the temp is cool I shut it down. Most of the time the pump is not on long enough to even get warm.

Eric Magruder
02-06-2009, 4:12 PM
Steve,
I have used mine for a year or so and never done anything but turn it off when I'm done. My pump is attached to a small tank and a pressure switch that allows the pump to stop until the vacuum falls to 13"/m so it is not in constant use. I must admit I've never had any directions on pump care. Your question makes me wonder if I am operating the pump incorrectly??

Cheers

Jim Becker
02-06-2009, 9:16 PM
'Never knew about the procedure and have never done it....

Leo Van Der Loo
02-06-2009, 11:58 PM
At the car assembly plant the vacuum pumps are connected to the cars AC systems before filling, these units do this day in day out and they never are being run open or what else, as they go on a return track and disconnect till hooked up again two or three minutes later, so I would think this is probably not needed unless you are not going to use it for several weeks or months, than it might be a good idea to have it all dry inside.