PDA

View Full Version : TurnerWanaBe Tools

Larry Richardson
02-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Ok, so I have been wanting to turn pens for quite some time, and finally found a Delta Midi Lathe (the 46-xxx, just like the LA-200) for a nice price.

Other than the pen specific stuff, can someone make a recommendation on which HSS turning tools are a good value?

David Christopher
02-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Larry, most everyone here seems to recommend the HF tool to start with.. they are good tools and cheap enough to practise learning how to sharpen

Paul Douglass
02-06-2009, 10:44 AM
I bought a set from Harbor Freight Several years ago.The set was just under $40. I'm still using it even thought I have bought a few more "expensive" tools. I use the HF ones more than any other.

Larry Richardson
02-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Well that is great! I am planning a trip there today to use a 20% off coupon!:D

David Drickhamer
02-06-2009, 1:04 PM
A lot of turners seem to like the HF tools. I've never use them but think I'll check them out. I like the chisels from Penn State. I bought their Anniversary set when I got started and the only fault I can find in them is that on some gouges the handles are too short.

Mike Spanbauer
02-06-2009, 1:16 PM
There are 2 sets of HF tools, go for the more expensive set - red handled I believe.

I went w/ the PSI Benjamins Best for my first set and am pleased as well.

mike

Tim Leiter
02-06-2009, 1:21 PM
I bought the HF red handled set last year and they work very well. But I went to HF last weekend and they now cost around $60 for the set. I guess HF reads the forums and know they are quite popular as a starter set and increased the cost accordingly.

Jon McCoy
02-06-2009, 2:13 PM
I'm not a pen turner, but I would caution against starting out with smaller-sized, pen tools. Unless you're making really tiny coves & rounds, normal sized spindle tools should be fine. Smaller tools are not as useful for larger spindle work, especially for just starting out.

I bought two of the red-handled HF sets, when I got my lathe. It's an okay set for turning spindles, but softer metal than the more expensive tools -- they dull faster and thus get shortened faster. They rarely get used now, since I have several Thompson and Sorby tools in the bucket. In fact, I'm bundling up the HF tools for a friend's son -- his dad has an older lathe, but isn't excited about sharing tools.

PSI has an 8-tool starter set for $70, with the same tools as the HF set -- plus a 1/2" bowl gouge. I'd go with that set over the HF set, if the prices are similar.

BTW, best advice I got when starting out, was to buy two 8' pieces of stick 2x4 lumber, and cut them into foot-long 2x2 blanks. That's 32 feet of spindle practice for a few bucks -- enough to figure out what works, what doesn't, and survive at least one good catch.

-jon-

Dewey Torres
02-06-2009, 2:36 PM
Larry,
I got the Ben's Best set from PSI:

Here is a recent thread on same topic:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=102942

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2009, 3:25 PM
Larry - another vote for the HF HSS set. I started turning 4 years ago and picked the set up just so I had something to start with. I am still using them today even though I do have some 'better' tools - but the better ones are all for bowls and hollow forms!

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2009, 4:16 PM
I got the PSI Ben Best $70 set and still use most today after 3 yrs. even though I have added several gouges since. They are decent tools for the money.

Dewey Torres
02-06-2009, 4:28 PM
I got the PSI Ben Best $70 set and still use most today after 3 yrs. even though I have added several gouges since. They are decent tools for the money.

Bernie,
Why do you need different gouges?

Kirk Miller
02-07-2009, 3:00 AM
I bought the red handled set recently as my first set. I am glad I did. They hold a decent edge, and I am learning put an edge on them to hold. I took them to a local woodturners meeting recently. They offer lessons on sharpening prior to the meeting. They commented on the quality considering they were from HF. I am slowly replacing them all now with good tools.

Jeff Nicol
02-07-2009, 5:53 AM
Bernie,
Why do you need different gouges?
Dewey, We need more and more tools of all types! This turning vortex is about how many lathes, chucks, tools and other asundry goods that go with turning!! At the end when we are ready for that great turning shop in the sky the one that wins is who has the most toys!! (TOOLS) But to be honest I have between 50 and 70 different tools of all shapes and sizes, one never knows when that cetain gouge or scraper will be the one that is perfect for the job at hand! I could go on about different grinds, handle legnths, weight, gouge size an on and on ............

I think that about does it !!!! Tools are good :)

Jeff