PDA

View Full Version : help with 16" jointer

David Christopher
02-06-2009, 9:34 AM
I have a chance to buy a 16" northfield jointer and I was wandering if any one could tell me what it is worth ??? ( ball park )
it needs cleaning up
5 HP # 3 phase motor
4 blade cutter head
1980s erea ( I think )

thanks in advance

Peter Scoma
02-06-2009, 9:51 AM
hmmm how about a pic

ps

David Christopher
02-06-2009, 10:47 AM
I dont have any pics right now.. just need a ballpark figure on what a medium condition machine would be worth..... I will have to do some cleaning and oiling and maybe painting

george wilson
02-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Hard to establish a figure. Northfields are usually found only in industrial shops. The Millwork Shop in Williamsburg paid $30,000.00 for a 24" Northfield thickness planer. It had unique,probably costly carbide inserts in it of their own design. I had to tell the men not to breathe the dust when re grinding the carbide!!

The planer had metal putty filler in some voids in the table casting. You'd think for that money they could be more selective. I had an old 1950's USA milling machine with lead hammered into voids,too. Makes you wonder how good the good old days were !!

They had a Northfield 24" band saw I would not have had in my shop. It was the most cobbled together thing I've ever seen. Looked like a bunch of random parts and sheetmetal casually bolted on. The blade NEVER ran straight. There was an electric brake that went off like a pistol every time they turned it off. Whamo!! I never got used to that when I was visiting from my shop.

Sorry to seem negative. These were observed facts. I haven't seen their 16" jointer. The millwork shop had a 16" Oliver,a real Oliver. Don't know the cost. It was direct drive. I think Oliver is now a Chinese name.

Frank Drew
02-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Dave,

Sorry that I can't help with pricing advice, but maybe look on some of the machinery resellers' websites to get some data. www.exfactory.com, for instance.

As for the machine, if it's in good shape I think you'd love it if it fits in with your work and space. I had a '50s era 12" Northfield (3-knife) and it was a workhorse; the more recent cutterhead on the machine you're looking at is no doubt an improvement in terms of knife setting, etc.

jerry cousins
02-06-2009, 11:14 AM
for comparison - this past summer i bought a 12" medium duty northfield jointer for $2150 - 3 hp, 3ph - it did not need any work xcept setting up the 3 phase converter - and i thought it was a fair deal. i called the company and they knew all about the machine - it sold for just over $1600 in the 1980's, but today it goes for $10,000+
jerry

David Christopher
02-06-2009, 11:31 AM
for comparison - this past summer i bought a 12" medium duty northfield jointer for $2150 - 3 hp, 3ph - it did not need any work xcept setting up the 3 phase converter - and i thought it was a fair deal. i called the company and they knew all about the machine - it sold for just over $1600 in the 1980's, but today it goes for $10,000+
jerry

WOW that is a big jump from 1600 to 10,000

jerry cousins
02-06-2009, 11:43 AM
i too was quite surprised. if you know the serial number of the machine you can call northfield for its history - who it was sold to - and subsequent buyers if the registered - if any parts have been sent out - selling price - and on mine they actually knew who built it.
here's their web page - http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/

jerry

M Toupin
02-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Northfield is still in business and still makes a 16" jointer.

----------------------------------------
16" NORTHFIELD HEAVY DUTY JOINTER
4-knife cutterhead
5 HP direct motor drive, 3,600 RPM ------- $ 15,840.00
5 HP “V” belt drive, 3,600 RPM------- $ 16,050.00
Approximate shipping weight – lbs. 2,200
----------------------------------------

A general rule of thumb for used machines is 50% - 60% of new value, though the big commercial stuff like this, especially 3ph, generally goes for a lot less. A lot depends on condition though. Commercial machines like this can get quite a bit of abuse depending on their original environment. It could be from a pattern shop with little use and be in perfect condition, or it could come from a high volume shop with constant 24/7 use and be slap worn out. Condition is everything, look it over good and decide if it's in decent shape and if you can correct whatever flaws it might have.

If you do decide to get it you'll have 2 issues to deal with; first the 3ph, not a deal breaker, though you'll need a RPC, VFD, other converter or new 1ph motor to power it. The other issue you need to consider is it's heavy machine. Do you have the ability to move a machine this heavy? With all that said, if it's in decent condition it'll be a sweet machine!

Mike

David Christopher
02-06-2009, 11:50 AM
thanks guys, I think I can get it in the 300-500 dollar range and yes it weighs 1700 pounds so it would be a PITA to move but I have a tractor for the unloading portion of the job

Frank Drew
02-06-2009, 12:02 PM
thanks guys, I think I can get it in the 300-500 dollar range...

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:!!!

(And you needed to ask?)

M Toupin
02-06-2009, 12:10 PM
I think I can get it in the 300-500

2-3 CENTS on the dollar of the cost new and you have to ask if it's a good deal???:eek::eek::eek:

Mike

Rod Sheridan
02-06-2009, 1:07 PM
2-3 CENTS on the dollar of the cost new and you have to ask if it's a good deal???:eek::eek::eek:

Mike

Well, you know 3 cents might be kinda high, you can't rush into these you know!........SHEESH

Lee Hingle
02-06-2009, 1:27 PM
thanks guys, I think I can get it in the 300-500 dollar range and yes it weighs 1700 pounds so it would be a PITA to move but I have a tractor for the unloading portion of the job

David,

That jointer is worth more than that in scrap metal.

Buy it or call me with the gentleman's name, address, and phone number right away.

Lee

Chris Padilla
02-06-2009, 1:55 PM
See if he'll take $250.... ;)

Rob Diz
02-06-2009, 2:25 PM
I'll go to $300, but not a penny more - :D

Was this just a big set up for a sealth gloat??

I'm not familiar with this machine, but you should just be sure it has a round and not a square cutterhead. I think it's too new to have a square head, but I'm just sayin'

Joel Earl
02-06-2009, 2:25 PM
Too much - try $175:D

Frank Drew
02-06-2009, 4:50 PM
Was this just a big set up for a sealth gloat??

Totally a set up, and a good one; notice how David waited until the tenth post to casually mention how low he thought the price might be.

Your concern about the danger of square cutterheads is legitimate, but they stopped making those long, long before this machine was made as far as I know.

David Christopher
02-06-2009, 6:49 PM
thanks guys, it does have a round 4 blade cutterhead.... its not a gloat yet.. im having to wait until the weekend is over to findout any more.. I just dont want to have to do too much to get it going if its not worth much or could get a better one working for about same money

Larry Edgerton
02-06-2009, 7:09 PM
It doesn't happen to be in a military auction and located in Florida does it?

David Christopher
02-06-2009, 7:11 PM
It doesn't happen to be in a military auction and located in Florida does it?

no thats not the one... but i seen the one youre talking about.. it dont look to bad

Frank Drew
02-06-2009, 10:44 PM
I just dont want to have to do too much to get it going if its not worth much or could get a better one working for about same money

On the off chance that you're still not having us on... unless this jointer you're considering is totally crapped out, then it's safe to say that you absolutely, positively will not get anything even remotely equivalent for anything even remotely like $300-500. Unless you're incredibly lucky.

This is a very heavy-duty, super serious, large capacity machine, made to last, conservatively, a century or two. Oh, but you did say it might need a paint job, so I guess you'll have to factor that in.

george wilson
02-06-2009, 10:50 PM
We bought a 16" MOAK jointer from federal surplus for $250.00 once. It was too big for our shop,so we let the carpenters underneath the Williamsburg Lodge have it. They also had a nice 20" Fay & Egan bandsaw. Real art deco. It probably got bulldozed when they tore down the lodge and rebuilt it several years and dollars,ago. A Moak was as good as any furniture factory quality machine.

Steve Jenkins
02-07-2009, 10:14 AM
thanks guys, it does have a round 4 blade cutterhead.... its not a gloat yet.. im having to wait until the weekend is over to findout any more.. I just dont want to have to do too much to get it going if its not worth much or could get a better one working for about same money

Better for the same money????. You couldn't even get a Lie Nielson for the same money.

lou sansone
02-07-2009, 11:03 AM
best wishes for the 16" northfield .... something seems strange here though. unless you are getting the deal of a life time, the seller should know the value of the machine - somewhere in the 3 k range. sometimes jointer's get tipped over, especially the 3 footed versions. you should check to make sure that has not happened and that the main casting is broken. I have seen a couple 3 toed jointes with that problem and they do go for a lot less. you do know that this is a 3 phase machine, I assume? is that a problem for you?

post some photos if you get it. you won't be sorry - I love my 16" Newman 60 jointer - I think the 16" machines are a great size for all around shops.

Lou