PDA

View Full Version : St Louis Woodworking show

David Gunn
02-06-2009, 9:12 AM
I am still trying to decide if I am going to attend the woodworking show in St. Louis. If I can go and learn some about turning, it would be worth it. I made my first pen there last year. I would be nice to do that again and get some expert advise about technique. I have made a few pens on my new lathe, but still have a lot to learn. I doubt I would buy much, maybe just a few odds and ends I can't pick up here at home.

How much is there to see and learn that is turning related?

Steve Mawson
02-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Will be interesting to hear, am hoping to go to Kansas City next weekend.

David Dobbs
02-06-2009, 8:41 PM
I just talked to one of my friends that was just there and said it was a much better show than last year. I am going on sunday.

Ken Glass
02-06-2009, 8:56 PM
I am going tomorrow and hope to find a few items to stock up on. Last year, I bought My Mustard Monster, so I doubt if I can top that. It is always fun, and I sometimes learn a new technique or find a bargain. I thought about making breakfast at the Cracker barrel in Caseyville, but I haven't heard a word about it this year.

Gary Herrmann
02-06-2009, 9:22 PM
Ken, we will be meeting at the Cracker Barrel in Caseyville again. 8am, just like last year.

We had a thread in the off-topic forum on it.

David, I've seen the STL chapter of AAW there (last year), so I'd assume they're doing demos and would be happy to talk shop.

My only motivation to go these days seems to be the breakfast. We generally have some sort of show n tell, but I don't think I'll have anything dry this year. Unless I bring that slick chisel...

I'll be the 6'7" guy lurking around.

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-07-2009, 9:13 PM
First off, I want to apologize to the guys who made it to Cracker Barrel for not making it.

Part my stupidity and part re-routing off the interstate due to a burned semi. Hope the driver is ok, the cab was mashed a lot and burnt to a crisp. Stupidity started with leaving Mapquest at home! However, if I had taken the Collinsville exit, I would have been how to get there. Sorry I missed you all.

Now for the show.

As A turner, there was very little of interest for me. Talking to the wood carvers and turners that were showing their work was enjoyable. I never knew why I disliked a duplicater, now I know. Craft USA had one up for kids to make a mini Baseball bat. Either the tool was not sharp or it just tears out the wood. Won't be spending money on one.

Since I'm starting up a class studio, I needed some descent, not too expensive tools. Got three sets of PSI's 8 piece HSS M2 steel tools for 59.99 ea. A good price and they have gotten descent revievs.

Will I be back next year? No - a tank of gas for the trip and no turning demo's - just not worth the money.

Bruce

Brodie Brickey
02-07-2009, 9:38 PM
I can't speak for the St. Louis Woodworking show, but the Woodworking Show that comes through here in Southern California is certainly not turning centric. I find that I have to look for Symposiums on turning to get much on the vortex.

If you're really looking for turning, check out the AAW Symposium this year in Albuquerque, New Mexico (late June), Utah Woodturning Symposium in Provo, UT (May 14-16), or Chicago Woodturning Symposium (July 25-27) link (http://www.chicagowoodturners.com/symposium/index.htm#) .

A google search may turn up other Symposiums for turning closer to your area requiring less gas.