PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
02-06-2009, 5:56 AM
Friday February 6, 2009

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

It's been a rather cold week in these parts, although we are supposed to be getting a spring thaw starting this weekend. Temps in the 40's for 5 days or so. :) That sure is going to feel good and it's going to melt a lot of snow. We may see pavement on some roads that have been covered in snow/ice for a couple of months now. I might even break out my shorts. :eek::D

There is a good chance in my being able to work in the shop this weekend. First thing I'll have to do is straighten up some, but then I might be able to actually make some sawdust. :) It's been so long, I might just cut some wood with no purpose in mind at all. ;)

Nascar starts again this weekend with the "Shootout" on Saturday night.:) Not sure if I like the new rules to get in, but I'm sure it'll be a good race. I'll be watching.

I'm thinking you've got some plans for the weekend. We'd like to hear about them, so take a minute and let your fellow "Creekers" know what you're up to.

Have a great weekend and please be SAFE.

Karl

Larry Edgerton
02-06-2009, 6:35 AM
In the past two weeks I have trimed out a 2000 sq ft upstairs of a colonial in period correct trim, and my fingers are litterally worn out.

This weekend I am going to stay away from any saws of any kind!

Matt Meiser
02-06-2009, 7:04 AM
We've got family visiting from out of town so I probably won't get any shop time. If I do Sunday evening, I'm either going to start tearing down my Parks planer to prepare for restoration or start building a stand for my metal cutting bandsaw.

Herbert Wallace
02-06-2009, 7:45 AM
I will continue the assembly of my rocking hors. should finish today, Then I have to start a cherry urn For a cats ashes.

Al Willits
02-06-2009, 8:20 AM
Warmer weather here will make getting out to the garage easier, and hopefully I get a lot done on the kitchen cart.
Also looking at lawn tractors and have pretty much decided on a John Deere X540, but we may just hit a dealer or two to look.

May actually get to a car wash as the below zero temps have made trying to keep all the salt off the truck impossible, be nice not to have deer trying to lick the salt off...:D

And MAYBE if I remember send a check to SMC.

Al

Karl Laustrup
02-06-2009, 8:29 AM
Also looking at lawn tractors and have pretty much decided on a John Deere X540, but we may just hit a dealer or two to look.

Al

I'm envious Al.

Perhaps you could take a road trip down this way once you get your new tractor?:D Lots of good implements available too.

Karl

Laurie Brown
02-06-2009, 9:00 AM
Going to hit into the 60s here this weekend. WHOOO!

I will probably work on that bathroom wallpaper project some today (expected to reach 50 today), over the weekend I may get to finishing off three drawers for my kitchen refacing project (yes, that one's STILL ongoing), maybe get out into the garage to clean it up, maybe finally get to work on the brakes on my car. ;)

Chris Kehl
02-06-2009, 9:01 AM
Temps in the 40's will make it bearable to go out to the shop. We just bought the place and "rebuilt" the garage. So hopefully I'll get to finish the rough wiring, and maybe get some more insulation hung. Would be nice if all the heat from the heater didn't go straight to the roof. :rolleyes: Hopefully I'll get to work on the trim for our house too. I've got a lot of sawdust to make.:D

Jim Becker
02-06-2009, 9:43 AM
'Glad to hear that the weather is looking up for you, Karl.

Typical weekend here...equestrian activities taking a good chunk of Saturday, but otherwise, I do plan on shop time fabricating some shelves for the uppers I put in my office as well as getting started on my planned cherry buffet project. It's supposed to be in the 40s Saturday and 50s on Sunday, so we should see a whole bunch of melting here, too...

Jim O'Dell
02-06-2009, 9:48 AM
Temps in the low 70s here this weekend. Possility of a little rain on Sunday, though a small chance. Have friends coming to visit Sat noonish. They have lived in Tuscon, and London (as in England) since they lived in the metroplex. They had a pup from our first litter in 1995. It will be good to catch up with them.
I've got the light reflector framework ready to install, need to cut the glassliner reflective material and get it on up. Continue some cleanup in the assembly/finishing room, and staple up the remaining insulation I have on the ceiling. Then I'll eventually get the OSB purchased and installed for the ceilings and walls, then painted.
Have a great weekend everyone!! Jim.

Matt Woessner
02-06-2009, 9:58 AM
This morning has started off well. It was in the 40s when I went out to feed all the critters. 60s tomorrow.

I will be makin my way to the big city of St. Louis, MO for the woodworking show. I am pretty excited about going. I know others are not as impressed as I am. I guess I am easily pleased.

This weekend is also my Ma's b-day, I am sure the family will head out to dinner or something. Sunday probably just taking it easy.

Sadly no woodworking as I have nothing started. Do have a couple projects in mind though. I hope everyone has a good weekend-be safe.

Bobby McCarley
02-06-2009, 10:34 AM
No shop time so far this week, been too cold. They expect milder temp for the next few days, which would be par for the course since I'm working the night shift all weekend. Maybe next week will be good.

Bobby
Louisiana

Carlos Alden
02-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Hey all:

Wow, someone that wants to know what I'm working on. I'm in heaven.

I've done bas relief carvings for years and have often thought of developing architectural carvings hoping to market that ability. So I started with a design for my own fireplace. I finished these up this week and still have to do touch-up and finishing. These will be put on the vertical post faces on either side of the fireplace.
http://www.eaglelake1.org/CA/carve1.jpg
The design actually gets slightly larger as it goes towards the bottom, which will match the widening of the post. Here's the top...
http://www.eaglelake1.org/CA/carve3.jpg
And the bottom...
http://www.eaglelake1.org/CA/carve4.jpg

Can't wait to stain it to the dark brown. I'll probably use a wash coat of shellac, then stain, then shellac again. It's my guess that is what was used on the original wood in our 1911 house.

Carlos

Rob Cunningham
02-06-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm hoping to finish hanging all the duct-work for my DC and then get the shop back in order. Got to wash the cars this weekend and get all the salt off.
My oldest son left for Indiana this morning with a group from the Dojo. They are going to a Jujitsu seminar and he is being tested to advance in rank. He already holds a 3rd degree black belt in Karate and began training in Jujitsu. He's been studying karate since he was 6 and is now 21.

Jamie Delker
02-06-2009, 3:13 PM
Oneida is having its yearly "holiday party" tomorrow night (I know, I know, the holidays are over... it's the only night we could get the space), so we're glad to have some food, drinks, and conversation outside of the office and plant. During the day I'll be shopping for pickups for my new Telecaster, Sunday just relaxing. Finally a weekend with nothing really pressing to take care of. :)

Fred Voorhees
02-06-2009, 7:13 PM
Plan on getting up and running on the next project which will be a half dozen radiator covers for some freinds. It was a good excuse for getting up in the shop today after work and doing a really good clean/straighten up and sawed up a bunch of kindling that has been laying around in the shop disguised as scrap wood. The kindling box is now chock full and the shop is cleaned up right good and things can move forward. Sunday will find me hitting the boob tube for a little bit since racing gets going in earnest down in Daytona Beach.....signaling that racing season here in the Northeast can't be that far behind! Yeah baby!

John Towns
02-07-2009, 1:43 AM
I am laying here in St. Joseph's hospital after having my second total hip replacement this afternoon. I had my first total hip on Tuesday. Even though he was working with titanium and other 'soft' materials rather than hard maple, I consider my surgeon a craftsman of the highest order. I have a handful of furniture projects that will be on hold for a month or so.

So, I will be reviewing SMC daily so I do not 'lose my touch' (not that I really ever had it).

John

Barry Nelson
02-07-2009, 7:30 AM
Countryside ablaze over here in Australia, especially Victoria our southern state, temps in the high 40degc,(thats nudging 120 deg on the fahrenheit scale) fourteen dead already there will be more,temperature expected to be higher tomorrow.As if people don't have enough worries already:(

Dave Verstraete
02-07-2009, 9:17 AM
I drove to Charlotte, MI looking for 4 good walnut boards for a bed that Jake and I are planning to build. Well, 110 bf later , we loaded it up and went home. When you find a stack of boards that you really like, you have to add them to your "stash". I plan on using some of it in my upcoming Birthday Bubinga Project. Now, I just have to wait a few days until it acclimates to the house.

John T. - Hope you are doing well!!

Larry Edgerton
02-07-2009, 10:57 AM
I drove to Charlotte, MI looking for 4 good walnut boards for a bed that Jake and I are planning to build. Well, 110 bf later , we loaded it up and went home. When you find a stack of boards that you really like, you have to add them to your "stash". I plan on using some of it in my upcoming Birthday Bubinga Project. Now, I just have to wait a few days until it acclimates to the house.

John T. - Hope you are doing well!!

That is why I always have LL Johnson deliver! I have bought whole lifts more than once when I needed a few Bd ft.