PDA

View Full Version : A little Carpathian Walnut dish

Leo Van Der Loo
02-06-2009, 1:12 AM
I lost a Carpathian Walnut tree in my yard this last fall with an very early heavy wet snowpack, this is one of the turnings I have made out of it :)
It is about 7"X2", it has some nice coloring and turned very sweet :).

Ken Fitzgerald
02-06-2009, 1:18 AM
Leo,

That is extemely elegant! Nicely done Sir! You seem to be an endless source of different styles of turnings, all so well done!

Leo Van Der Loo
02-06-2009, 1:46 AM
Thank you Ken :-)), I'm trying ;-)

Maria Alvarado
02-06-2009, 7:22 AM
Leo,
That's a beautiful piece! I particularly like how boundary between heartwood and sapwood repeats the form of the dish.

Jeff Nicol
02-06-2009, 7:27 AM
Leo, Another beauty! I love the "pith" out of it!!! The center and all the changing colors add greatly to the elegant shape!

Jeff

steven carter
02-06-2009, 9:10 AM
Very nice Leo! What a thin lip, really gives it an elegant look. What did you use for finish, your usual tung oil or something else?

Steve

Brian Brown
02-06-2009, 9:19 AM
Very nice Leo! I really like the form, and the balanced sapwood on each side. How did you stabalize the pith cracks so they won't continue to crack?

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2009, 9:45 AM
Interesting form Leo! In the side view, the bowl looks wafer thin and in the top view the bowl looks like it would be heavy because of the wide rim. I do like the form - especially the built-in pedestal! Also like the way the rim slants inward ever so slightly!

Beautiful wood! Agree with Maria, love the way the colors follow the shape of the bowl!

Very nice work Leo! Thanks for sharing!

David Christopher
02-06-2009, 9:53 AM
Very nice Leo, do you have any more ...thats as pretty as I have seen

Richard Madison
02-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Ditto what they said. An elegant shape.

charlie knighton
02-06-2009, 10:40 AM
very nice, i espically like the form, do you mine if i borrow it sometime?????

Paul Douglass
02-06-2009, 10:45 AM
That is a beautiful piece.

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Beautiful bowl Leo. Great looking grain, color and finish. Nice.

Dave Ogren
02-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Leo,
Once again ..WOW !!! I don't know how you keep doing such a wonderful job. Please keep it up.

Joshua Dinerstein
02-06-2009, 12:05 PM
My goodness. That is totally awesome. I love the style and shape. And that color and grain is absolutely amazing! Well done Leo.

I have to go plant lots of trees in my yard so that I can have some great wood some day.

Joshua

David Drickhamer
02-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Another job well done Leo. What more can I say, everyone else has said it. Love seeing your stuff.
Dave

Bill Embrey
02-06-2009, 7:43 PM
Leo, that bowl ROCKS (figuratively ;)). I love that design, like Steve said, from one view, very thin... look again, not so thin... I have a couple pieces this design would look good with... are you sharing? :)

Bill (in OK)

Jim Kountz
02-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Leo this is one of nicest forms Ive seen, Its simple yet very pleasing to the eye the way it sweeps up from the narrow foot to the wide thin rim. Another very nice piece Leo!!

John Timberlake
02-06-2009, 10:09 PM
I love the form. And you did a great job of using the light and dark section to accentuate the form. Love it!

Maylon Harvey
02-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Leo,
You continue to amaze me with your wonderful creations.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks Maria :D, I was able and lucky to use all what was there, I'm happy with it :)

Leo Van Der Loo
02-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Leo, Another beauty! I love the "pith" out of it!!! The center and all the changing colors add greatly to the elegant shape!

Thanks Jeff, it is a bit controversial keeping the pith in, but I felt it would work well with this, it is a very stable wood when dry, should be OK :)

Jeff

Very nice Leo! What a thin lip, really gives it an elegant look. What did you use for finish, your usual tung oil or something else?

Steve

Thanks Steve :D, yes I used the Polymerized tung oil, just two coats on it I think :)

Leo this is one of nicest forms Ive seen, Its simple yet very pleasing to the eye the way it sweeps up from the narrow foot to the wide thin rim. Another very nice piece Leo!!

Hi Jim :), thanks :D
It is one of my favorite shapes, just tweak it a bit for the piece it's to be used on :)

Leo Van Der Loo
02-07-2009, 12:58 AM
Very nice Leo! I really like the form, and the balanced sapwood on each side. How did you stabalize the pith cracks so they won't continue to crack?

Thanks Brian :), The Walnut is a very stable wood after it has dried, I used CA and coffee ground to fill the pith opening and the splits, I don't expect the wood to move enough to cause trouble later on, but we'll see :-))

Interesting form Leo! In the side view, the bowl looks wafer thin and in the top view the bowl looks like it would be heavy because of the wide rim. I do like the form - especially the built-in pedestal! Also like the way the rim slants inward ever so slightly!

Beautiful wood! Agree with Maria, love the way the colors follow the shape of the bowl!

Very nice work Leo! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Steve :D, it did work out quite well, enough wood and color, and minimal checking, the rest was just to turn it properly, I tried :-))

Very nice Leo, do you have any more ...thats as pretty as I have seen

Thanks David, yes lots more wood David ;), and some are better than others, just love making them :)

Ditto what they said. An elegant shape.

Thanks Richard :D

very nice, i espically like the form, do you mine if i borrow it sometime?????

Thanks Charlie, do I mind ??, heck no, continue the cycle Charlie, you know there's nothing new in turning, it has all been done before, just have fun :D

That is a beautiful piece.

Thank you Paul :D

Beautiful bowl Leo. Great looking grain, color and finish. Nice.

Thank you Bernie, yes aren't we lucky to be able to work with such a beautiful medium ?, mother nature at her best :)

Leo,
Once again ..WOW !!! I don't know how you keep doing such a wonderful job. Please keep it up.
Thank you Dave :D, I can't help it Dave, I just love turning, I guess it does show in the end :D

Leo Van Der Loo
02-07-2009, 1:16 AM
My goodness. That is totally awesome. I love the style and shape. And that color and grain is absolutely amazing! Well done Leo.

I have to go plant lots of trees in my yard so that I can have some great wood some day.

Joshua

Thanks Josh :), After planting and looking after it for nearly 30 years, I wasn't about to cut it down, something I would never do for turning wood anyway, there are enough trees cut down for other reasons, I'm a bit of a tree hugger I think :rolleyes:

Another job well done Leo. What more can I say, everyone else has said it. Love seeing your stuff.
Dave

Thanks for taking the time to comment David, I appreciate it :D

Leo, that bowl ROCKS (figuratively ;)). I love that design, like Steve said, from one view, very thin... look again, not so thin... I have a couple pieces this design would look good with... are you sharing? :)

Bill (in OK)

He Bill, if you want to share you'll have to take the good and the bad :p, just kidding :D, I wasn't born with all the shapes in my head either Bill, been looking many (too darn many:eek:) years at all kind of shapes and forms, I guess some good ones stuck ;-))

I love the form. And you did a great job of using the light and dark section to accentuate the form. Love it!

Thanks John :D, got to use what's there, we sometimes get lucky :)

Leo Van Der Loo
02-07-2009, 1:18 AM
Thank you Maylon :D, We keep on trying and turning ;) :)

Barry Stratton
02-07-2009, 9:32 AM
That is another fine hunk of wood!

The form has me torn between "Wow, that is cool" and "uhhhhhhh, not sure I like it". I think it is one that has to be seen and held to be fully appreciated and understood. My shipping address has been PM'd to you;)

Leo Van Der Loo
02-07-2009, 2:57 PM
Hi Barry;) Thanks for your comment:D,
Would you accept anything shipped to that address, ................ COD :p :rolleyes:

Rob Mathis
02-07-2009, 7:14 PM
Leo that is fantastic!

Wow I sure like it.

Gary Kvasnicka
02-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Excellent! This is one of my favorites.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-08-2009, 3:01 AM
Leo that is fantastic!

Wow I sure like it.
Thanks Rob :D, take care:)