PDA

View Full Version : Production Router Question: Fein, PC

Mike Wellner
02-06-2009, 1:00 AM
My main question regards the Fein RT1800. Is it worth it? Solid Performer? Any disadvantages to buying this discontinued product?

Can't afford Festool. I am avoiding Milwaukee, I feel Milwaukee has been cheapened up since they were brought by TTI. Is it too late to buy one of the PC 3 1/4hp series if they haven't been cheapened up yet?

Thanks

Chip Lindley
02-06-2009, 1:07 AM
I have P-C 7518 and 7519, bought on eBay for around 1/2 price. They are both type2, look good and run FINE! (Not Fein!) IF P-C is now cheapening their *production* routers, they might as well go out of biz! IF I wanted *justa hobby router* i would be right back at Sears, (where I started out in the '70s!)

Paul Greathouse
02-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Mike

PC hasn't cheapened their production line yet and I doubt that they will. The reason being is Dewalt (which owns PC) does not have a 3 1/4 hp fixed base router to compete with the PC 7518. Dewalt does have a 3 1/4 hp plunge router, which is actually the old European ELU line that Dewalt purchased several years back. Its a great router for heavy plunge work on top of the table but I wouldn't use it in a router table, its not as easily adjustable under the table, as some of the newer fixed base routers are.

I don't know anything about the Fein routers, I have PC, Dewalt, Milwaukee and Freud. My next big router will be the Milwaukee fixed base, I have their smaller fixed base router and think it is a quality tool. I have no problem with my PC 7518, I just like to try new tools and the Milwaukee 3 1/4 hp has gotten some good reviews.

Mike Wellner
02-06-2009, 7:03 PM
Bit the bullet and went with the 7539, it will serve mainly upside down mounted in a router table.

pat warner
02-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Not a bad router, (Fein), heavy, designed for some DW 625 accesssories, powerful, sloppy plunge, a rare but convenient up-stop, a bit more top heavy than most, but at a good price, why not?

Routers (http://www.patwarner.com)

Mike Wellner
02-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Mike

PC hasn't cheapened their production line yet and I doubt that they will. The reason being is Dewalt (which owns PC) does not have a 3 1/4 hp fixed base router to compete with the PC 7518. Dewalt does have a 3 1/4 hp plunge router, which is actually the old European ELU line that Dewalt purchased several years back. Its a great router for heavy plunge work on top of the table but I wouldn't use it in a router table, its not as easily adjustable under the table, as some of the newer fixed base routers are.

I don't know anything about the Fein routers, I have PC, Dewalt, Milwaukee and Freud. My next big router will be the Milwaukee fixed base, I have their smaller fixed base router and think it is a quality tool. I have no problem with my PC 7518, I just like to try new tools and the Milwaukee 3 1/4 hp has gotten some good reviews.

If Milwaukee hadn't been brought out by TTI, it would be a Milwaukee right away, but I don't like the direction TTI is taking the company.

Larry Edgerton
02-07-2009, 5:59 PM
I have several PC 3 1/4s, the oldest is over twenty years old, and all used on a regular basis in production applications. I have yet to have a failure. Check out the lower bearing size on the PC and compare it to others, it dwarfs them all at 2 7/8 inches.

Bad tools get smashed with a hammer in my shop...... I have no use for junk that gets in my way, and these router will not disappoint.

Take a look at all of the CNC machines that use a router for power such as Shopbot, etc. There is a reason that they all have the big Porter Cables.